Brach Talks Trade Deadline

TonySoprano

Dan Connolly interviewed Brad Brach and his wife about the realities of being in trade rumors.  Here are excerpts from Brad's portion
https://theathletic.com/447984/2018/07/27/confessions-of-a-trade-block-couple-brad-and-jenae-brach-discuss-life-and-stresses-at-the-trade-deadline/?source=dailyemail

What’s been the difference between last year and this year?

Brad Brach: “Last year I was constantly looking online and stuff like that, trying to find new information on it. This year, it’s I know it’s there and I’m trying not to pay attention to it as much. I think going through it for the first time is always difficult just because you know there is a good possibility, but you also don’t know what the team is thinking. I think that was the hardest thing. This year, you know exactly what the team is thinking. And if you don’t get traded it’s almost like you look at it as a ‘no one else wants you’ type-of-thing. It’s definitely a little different feeling from last year, but I’m trying to deal with it as best as I can.”

How do the rumors and uncertainty affect you?

Brad Brach: “It’s like you want to go out there and almost overly impress. You think one outing is going to make or break a trade or stop someone from wanting you. It’s just difficult because the baseball season, 162 games, everybody evaluates you over that period of time. But when it is getting close to the trade deadline, it’s almost like one outing can make or break a trade. If they see something you are doing, they might think maybe he’s figured something out here. Even if that’s not the case, that may be what you’re thinking. When all this stuff is being written about and you know the scouts are there, it’s hard not to think about it, at least for me personally. 

How much are you looking forward to having all of this resolved?

Brad Brach: “When it is done, when the trade deadline goes, I think I’ll finally be able to relax and just go out there and perform without anything else in the back of my mind. It’s unfortunate that it has dragged on this long. Since the end of April, since we were out of it, they’ve talked about the four (free agents), me, Jonesy, Manny and Zach, and we’ve been constantly talked about like, ‘Oh they’re going to be traded.’ It’s hard not to think about it, so I think when July 31 comes, it will allow me to let go. Even if you have a little bit of doubt in your mind, it’s the worst thing on a baseball field, especially as a pitcher because I feel like that little bit of tension affects everything. Hopefully, when it is all done, that’ll be it and we can just enjoy the last two months of the season.”

1 hour ago, Spakman said:

Sorry to break it to Brach but he has another month at least of this. I see him passing through waivers.

I would think that Brach gets claimed on waivers in August.  If he can get straightened out, he could be a good addition to a bullpen.  Since his salary is $5.1 million, two months of Brach is about $1.7 million.  Based on that salary, a contending team is not going to be concerned if they claim Brach and the O's say keep him.  Now if Chris Davis is placed on waivers in August, the O's would love for someone to claim him, you can bet they say keep him. 

10 minutes ago, Chromehill said:

I would think that Brach gets claimed on waivers in August.  If he can get straightened out, he could be a good addition to a bullpen.  Since his salary is $5.1 million, two months of Brach is about $1.7 million.  Based on that salary, a contending team is not going to be concerned if they claim Brach and the O's say keep him.  Now if Chris Davis is placed on waivers in August, the O's would love for someone to claim him, you can bet they say keep him. 

I have more chance of becoming an MLB GM than Davis has a chance of being claimed on waivers this season. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yikes, those parts that Soprano bolded....man, not what I wanna hear from a guy that needs to have nerves of steel to close out a game.  No one wants me, I try to overly impress, when this is over I'll be able to relax... Dude sounds fragile.

He's made similar comments before, about how being a closer affected how he thought, how he pitched, etc.  He'd be a prime example for me in the "not just any random guy can be a closer" argument.

But, this year he's not even a good setup man.  Some team my take a flier for him on the cheap next year, but I think there's a decent chance he signs a minor league deal next spring.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He's made similar comments before, about how being a closer affected how he thought, how he pitched, etc.  He'd be a prime example for me in the "not just any random guy can be a closer" argument.

But, this year he's not even a good setup man.  Some team my take a flier for him on the cheap next year, but I think there's a decent chance he signs a minor league deal next spring.

I agree, I don't think anyone can just be a closer.  From a pure stuff perspective I think most can but what's between the ears really matters.  Extreme confidence, short memory and a Kenny Powers attitude.  That's why Kenny Powers was a great closer.  :)

Not sure where he winds up but if we could trade him for two minor leaguers right now we should jump all over that.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yikes, those parts that Soprano bolded....man, not what I wanna hear from a guy that needs to have nerves of steel to close out a game.  No one wants me, I try to overly impress, when this is over I'll be able to relax... Dude sounds fragile.

Interesting to see him express in words the same lack of confidence that his body language has been broadcasting all along. Not rock solid, not closer material. 

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, I don't think anyone can just be a closer.  From a pure stuff perspective I think most can but what's between the ears really matters.  Extreme confidence, short memory and a Kenny Powers attitude.  That's why Kenny Powers was a great closer.  :)

Not sure where he winds up but if we could trade him for two minor leaguers right now we should jump all over that.

So are you saying Mike Wright would not be a good closer???

I've felt like this is what has been wrong with him. Now seeing him say it all but confirms it. He can't handle high pressure. He over thinks it. In the 8th he can be more relaxed knowing there's the 9th in case he screws up. In the 9th he lets the pressure of ending it now get to him. Then now THIS year he's known for a while that he's probably getting traded (April told every vet on the team this) so he's gone out and treated EVERY appearance like it's the 9th up 1 with the bases loaded. He's mentally just killing himself. Once he is traded, or there is 0 chance of him being traded I bet he pitches better. Won't have that self inflicted pressure anymore.

37 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

This is what comes to mind  every time Brach is inserted into a pressure situation. 

BIoOGiy.jpg

1 minute ago, now said:

uncanny resemblance, even!

Indeed. I was originally going to say Brach is the Alvy Singer of relief pitchers, especially after reading his own words, but wasn’t sure who’d get the reference. 

Archived