Brewers- It's On

section18

I am fine with trading Schoop if we can get good value for him ... Gausman makes me nervous ... feels a little too much like letting Arrieta go ... besides, our pitching prospects keep showing us how patience is important (Hader, Davies, Bridwell, Arrieta, Eddy Rodriguez, I feel like I am missing another obvious example ...)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, VeveJones007 said:

Can’t see a trade for either before the deadline. I think this winter is more realistic.

Possibly.  We can't force a market for these guys. But if one is there, and they make these moves, that says A LOT for this team's direction and decision making.  Very encouraging it would be.

9 minutes ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

I am fine with trading Schoop if we can get good value for him ... Gausman makes me nervous ... feels a little too much like letting Arrieta go ... besides, our pitching prospects keep showing us how patience is important (Hader, Davies, Bridwell, Arrieta, Eddy Rodriguez, I feel like I am missing another obvious example ...)

If he goes and he turns into Arietta, I'm ok with it.  Because A) it wouldn't have happend it Baltimore or B) If it did, we'd still suck when he was here doing it.

17 hours ago, section18 said:

There have been reports the last two days the Brewers would like to obtain Schoop and Gausman. Roch on his pregame said there was a report today that Schoop was being traded to the Brewers.  He said he followed up and nothing had happened yet.  Schoop is in the lineup tonight.  It's worth keeping an eye him tonight and boom he hits his 14 th home run. He's hitting at the right time.

Some people thought Schoop had lost trade value because of his slow start offensively. I doubt that there was a single GM in the league that shared their opinion.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Some people thought Schoop had lost trade value because of his slow start offensively. I doubt that there was a single GM in the league that shared their opinion.

I bet EVERY GM was waiting to see if he was fully recovered from his injury. 

16 hours ago, VeveJones007 said:

Can’t see a trade for either before the deadline. I think this winter is more realistic.

The team will get better returns during the pennant race than it would in winter. Market forces in summer drive prices far higher than what they are in winter. I can't explain human psychology, but that is the way it is.

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Well, it's undeniable that while Schoop was putting up a sub .600 OPS amidst a season long slump and injuries that his trade value was diminished.  

If we tried to trade him a month ago the return would have reflected that.  Schoop catching on fire over the last month has probably brought his trade value nearly back up to what it was before the season started even though his overall numbers are still subpar.  He's trending in the right direction. 

Brewers would be a good fit and it could come together quickly because they've already been in discussions for Machado.

Boston would also be a good fit with Pedroia out but I don't know if they have the farm system to get it done. 

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Possibly.  We can't force a market for these guys. But if one is there, and they make these moves, that says A LOT for this team's direction and decision making.  Very encouraging it would be.

This is how I felt when people ranted about trading Machado in May. Problem is, the seller is going to get low-balled when trying to force a trade before the market heats up. Both Gausman and Schoop are being eyed by multiple teams now that the Orioles have broken the ice by trading two of their stars. They won't have to force the market at all; it is already here.

27 minutes ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Gausman has had far more success with the Orioles than Arrieta ever did.  At some point people need to let go.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Well, it's undeniable that while Schoop was putting up a sub .600 OPS amidst a season long slump and injuries that his trade value was diminished.  

If we tried to trade him a month ago the return would have reflected that.  Schoop catching on fire over the last month has probably brought his trade value nearly back up to what it was before the season started even though his overall numbers are still subpar.  He's trending in the right direction. 

I disagree. Slumps happen. Savvy baseball execs don't suddenly change their evaluation of a player based on a month or so of performance below what the (young, in this case) player has proven he can accomplish. Likewise, one great month isn't going to convince a team that a guy like Jim Traber is a lock to become a star.

Yes, his trade value would have been lower a month ago -- because of market forces. But Schoop's progression over the last couple of seasons can't just be wiped out by a slow start and an injury that most batters heal from fully. 2016 and 2017 far outweigh a portion of 2018.

1 hour ago, OrioleMagic79 said:

Oh I have no doubt that Gausman could go to an NL team and turn into a #2.  I think other clubs are thinking this too with him, not so much Bundy because Bundy is pretty polished. 

Archived