An old, familiar feeling

Greg Pappas

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is a very difficult task.    Both skill and some luck are required.   It’s not as simple as trade everyone with a pulse for prospects, draft high for a couple of years and presto, you’re a contender!

I didn't mean to imply it would be easy, but it is easier to draft high in the draft and have a large draft pool, let unproductive assets fall off the payroll to re-set it at a lower point, to take chances on younger (perhaps failed) prospects and to be a seller in the offseason and at the trade deadline.  I also think we will benefit greatly from stability in the front office, scouting group and development guys.

Besides, I just posted in this thread to get positive feedback from GP!  ?  jk of course.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Compare how dead the game threads are with the threads about trades and potential international signings.

A lot of folks are excited about starting fresh.

Fresh is good.

Who cares about losing. Been there, done that.

It's watching good young talent that's exciting... until they grow into the next window.

Then the real fun begins... again. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Compare how dead the game threads are with the threads about trades and potential international signings.

A lot of folks are excited about starting fresh.

A really excellent point.

As many of you have alluded to, it is going to be tough... losing will become the norm, on the field.  The key to changing that is establishing a winning culture.  That begins off the field... via scouting, shrew trading, drafting high-end talent, and having a system whose player development is among the best in the league.  If we're going to do this right, in my opinion, we have to begin anew.  We need a new "GM", new scouting and player development (PD) system, new everything.  However, my current upswing in Orioles happiness is tempered in the potential of having us half-ass the process by keeping DD, Rajsich, and our current PD staff.  Just my opinion... I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

As many of you have alluded to, it is going to be tough... losing will become the norm, on the field.  The key to changing that is establishing a winning culture.  That begins off the field... via scouting, shrew trading, drafting high-end talent, and having a system whose player development is among the best in the league.  If we're going to do this right, in my opinion, we have to begin anew.  We need a new "GM", new scouting and player development (PD) system, new everything.  However, my current upswing in Orioles happiness is tempered in the potential of having us half-ass the process by keeping DD, Rajsich, and our current PD staff.  Just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Overall I think Rajsich has done a good job.    I’d be willing to see him retained no matter who the GM is. Just build the international side.  

If DD is given a free hand, I'm OK with him staying. But, along with the needed player personnel changes, I think it’s time for Buck and his coaching staff to say bye bye.

Overall though, the past week or so has me feeling better about the Orioles organization than I have in a long time. They're saying and doing the right things and if this keeps up at lot of us are going to feel something missing for a while... optimism.:)

Archived