Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

1 minute ago, awannabegeek said:

They look at walk rates yes, they probably don't care too much about WHIP since it's not context-neutral.  They're aware of splits and a more analytically inclined Manager\FO will better deploy Givens in situations that maximize his effectiveness

So, he is best utilized as a matchup guy, which decreases his value.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• For the same reason I mentioned. The biomechanical toll that pitching in the high 90's takes on the elbow. Whether it happens in AAA or early MLB... it has the same impact on the pool of talent. Slides it all up.
    • I never said it's becoming unglued. Reading is fundamental. I said if we don't make moves I could see things unraveling.
    • The issue is 3 of those issues were known before February, and weren’t addressed 
    • I think the main reason for this is the number of ML players who have had serious injuries in the last two seasons.  Anyone close to major league ready has been called up.
    • You have to admit this is kind of nuts. These are the top pitching prospects in baseball. How many Orioles do you see? 1   Paul Skenes    RHP    PIT   9    Yoshinobu Yamamoto    RHP    LAD   21    Cade Horton    RHP    CHC    23    Andrew Painter    RHP    PHI  31    Jackson Jobe    RHP    DET    39    Jacob Misiorowski    RHP    MIL    55    Chase Hampton    RHP    NYY    56    Mason Miller    RHP    OAK   59    AJ Smith-Shawver    RHP   ATL 60    Drew Thorpe    RHP    SD   64    Hurston Waldrep    RHP    ATL 65    Tink Hence    RHP    STL    67    Dylan Lesko    RHP    SD     68    Brock Porter    RHP    TEX    70    Rhett Lowder    RHP    CIN    75    Mick Abel    RHP    PHI   83    Noble Meyer    RHP    MIA 84    Jared Jones    RHP    PIT     87    Chase Petty    RHP    CIN    94    Cade Cavalli    RHP    WAS     103    Jack Leiter    RHP    TEX     113    Daniel Espino    RHP    CLE    123    Ben Joyce    RHP    LAA    129    Gavin Stone    RHP    LAD     132    Connor Phillips    RHP    CIN    133    River Ryan    RHP    LAD     136    Christian Scott    RHP    NYM   141    Tekoah Roby    RHP    STL    145    Blade Tidwell    RHP    NYM   147    Wilmer Flores    RHP    DET   148    Orion Kerkering    RHP    PHI    150    Nick Frasso    RHP    LAD  152    Bubba Chandler    RHP    PIT   161    Chase Dollander    RHP    COL    164    Landen Maroudis    RHP    TOR     165    Ty Madden    RHP    DET     166    Ben Brown    RHP    CHC    172    Emerson Hancock    RHP    SEA     176    Will Warren    RHP    NYY   177    Owen Murphy    RHP    ATL     181    Carlos F. Rodriguez    RHP    MIL   183    Nick Nastrini    RHP    CHW   186    Spencer Arrighetti    RHP    HOU    189    Luis Morales    RHP    OAK     To me, champions have great pitching and defense. Our pitching is a mess right now.
    • FWIW... I don't see anything coming unglued at all. I am talking about strategic rather than tactical observations. (I suspect you weren't including me in the admonition, but I thought I'd clarify)
    • Ah... sorry... your bolded was buried in the hidden part of the quote window in my browser, so I missed it. And yeah, I would agree. There doesn't seem to be a monster surplus of promising AAA arms. I'd suggest maybe two reasons for this. 1) It serves to reinforce the idea of quality pitchers being harder to judge than quality position players. 2) It is somewhat indicative of the toll that bio-mechanics imposes on pitchers being coached into the high 90's That said, the smaller selection pool of pitchers should be somewhat offset by the larger pool of position players you've hoarded, if you've employed the strategy well. Making you the queen of the trade deadline dance.  I think our bigger problem has been holding on to our journeymen MLB players after they've had a good year, instead of trading them at peak (rather than a true lack of AAA or even AA arms). To be successful at this you have to have to courage to be a seller at the deadline even when you have a winning record and are a contender.
  • Popular Contributors