Are You Happy

DirtyBird

Are you happy? (With the O's, not with life)  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy? (With the O's, not with life)

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

Schoop and Gausman had bad years when the Orioles were bad. You can't dream on that. 

Gausman is having a good year.  He leads the team in WAR.   Schoop could have gotten more in off season if he stayed hot. 

Just now, atomic said:

Gausman is having a good year.  He leads the team in WAR.   Schoop could have gotten more in off season if he stayed hot. 

What was the excess value that was traded as of today? Considering that neither of them would ever have been qualifying offer candidates. Also. The team has won 30 games with both of them. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

What was the excess value that was traded as of today? Considering that neither of them would ever have been qualifying offer candidates. Also. The team has won 30 games with both of them. 

I understand that.   I have no problem trading them but they got robbed in Gausman trade.  If you can't valuable players now than wait until off season. 

I voted no.  I was excited to see that we had traded Gausman and Schoop because I thought it makes sense to rebuild from the ground up and I thought we would get back some good propsects.  That could still be the outcome, but I'm more than underwhelmed by what we got back.  In my opinion, Dillon Tate, Yusniel Diaz and Dean Kremer are better prospects than any of the players we got today.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes.  

Never was a fan of Gausman.  

Schoop is a hard trade to swallow but we'll see.

We got international money.  I'll be REALLY happy if we get VVM.  

This is basically where I'm at.

After all these trades, and with some rhetoric about international signings, I think I see the blueprint.

• The first and most immediate piece is a young, cheap, controllable bullpen.

There is potentially huge value in guys like Pop and Phillips.  When they pan out, you have low-cost, low-risk assets that, for a year, make your 81-win team win 90 games.  It's that simple, we saw it with the 2012 team, you absolutely cannot underrate a bullpen in the game today.  You can do anything, pull starters earlier, marginalize big hitters when you want.  And as relievers are the most volatile stock in MLB, you can just dump them when they lose 5 MPH off their fastball for no apparent reason, and pay minimum wage or Arb 1/Arb 2 salaries for the rest of a year.  They will make impacts next year as the Brain Trust figures out what DD picked up.  Carroll's already here.

• High floor players

We got a premium piece for our own premium piece, and while the rest of the trades seemed underwhelming to some people, I saw a lot of good talent enter a pretty light system at the right time.  Luis Ortiz is an exciting get.  There's a lot of athleticism in some of these guys (Ortiz nonwithstanding; big dude).  I'm optimistic we will turn the corner with our defense.  Team speed for Chrissake.

• We will fill in the blanks

We absolutely needed this salary dump.  The time to buy or trade for your rentals is when you're competitive, and when you're not, you need to shed high-cost assets to whatever degree you can.  The lack of movement on Cashner and Trumbo speaks to their value, they have none.  The game is so heavily-tilted to young, cheap talent, which has impacted our trade returns.  It should also impact our free agency approach if/when they get back to respectability.  I would lowball FA's all day in this market.

Gausman's deal felt a lot like a salary dump. To put Schoop in perspective, if he were a free agent this offseason I think he would get a $100M+ deal. He is an All-Star level talent and even thought he return was decent I think the issue here is that he is actually way undervalued. To be honest, I expected more. I fully thought that trading those two guys would have brought us 2-3 of (Ortiz, Peralta, Burnes, Anderson, Riley, Gohara, Toussant) and at least one other top prospect. If the Orioles use international money and lock up Gaston and VVM I will feel a lot better of dealing for international money. But why are we taking less of a return to eat O'Day' salary?

30 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Not happy with EITHER trade. Schoop deal was a complete bust.Stupid.

I think they should have waited until winter to move Schoop, but calling the trade a bust is silly. It's reasonable to be angry, but that anger should be directed at how the O's were run before all these trades occurred. Terrible organizational planning/development scuttled Schoop's value to the team (other than as a trade chip).

Archived