Start the next core by extending Bundy now

25 Nuggets

I know people are getting caught up in the trade frenzy, but I offer an alternative that would signal another change in the right direction for the organization.

Dylan Bundy is controllable through 2021, or three years of arbitration after this season is over.  NOW is when teams typically try to extend young controllable players.  The Orioles couldn't do it with Machado, and they didn't seem to try with Schoop.

There is always risk with doing this.  But it's a lot more risk averse than signing say Chris Davis to his contract.  If Bundy pitches six more years with the club, that's through his age 31 season.  And if the Orioles do this right, he'll have 3-4 of those years to pitch on a competitive team.  He did have TJ surgery, yes.  But he's a viable starting pitcher.  The Orioles' best, right now.  And he won't cost a silly amount of money if Bundy's agent, Jay Franklin, has any sense.

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

I know people are getting caught up in the trade frenzy, but I offer an alternative that would signal another change in the right direction for the organization.

Dylan Bundy is controllable through 2021, or three years of arbitration after this season is over.  NOW is when teams typically try to extend young controllable players.  The Orioles couldn't do it with Machado, and they didn't seem to try with Schoop.

There is always risk with doing this.  But it's a lot more risk averse than signing say Chris Davis to his contract.  If Bundy pitches six more years with the club, that's through his age 31 season.  And if the Orioles do this right, he'll have 3-4 of those years to pitch on a competitive team.  He did have TJ surgery, yes.  But he's a viable starting pitcher.  The Orioles' best, right now.  And he won't cost a silly amount of money if Bundy's agent, Jay Franklin, has any sense.

I agree. Need to be more proactive about locking players up. Bundy is productive. As long as we aren’t talking Homer Bailey money, I’m for it.

Nah.  At least not now.  His performance is up and down, and quite frankly I'm not sure he'll improve much.  His FB is average, and honestly he looks like he needs to spend sometime working out with Brady.  They have until after 2021.  I want to see how he pitches next year.

24 minutes ago, esmd said:

Nah.  At least not now.  His performance is up and down, and quite frankly I'm not sure he'll improve much.  His FB is average, and honestly he looks like he needs to spend sometime working out with Brady.  They have until after 2021.  I want to see how he pitches next year.

Everything I've always heard is that Bundy is a workout machine.

In fairness to him, he's had groin and ankle injuries, so maybe he's not able to work out as he normally would.  But I watched him pitch the other night and actually was reminded of Sir Sidney....

Archived