Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Yes.  And IIRC, Lou Brock also played LF.  I'm sure there have been plenty of guys with speed/range that didn't quite have the arm for CF or RF.

Skinny Barry Bonds was fast too.  We know his arm wasn't so great since he couldn't throw out Sid Bream at home in Game 7 vs. the Braves.

21 hours ago, sevastras said:

Can you think of anyone else playing/has played LF with Mullins range?  I would think that he would have to shade toward center and the CF would have to shade towards right or straight up.  VVM has extreme range with 70 speed and 70+ arm, there would have to be a lot of communication between the two otherwise you could have one brutal collision.  Mullins, VVM, Diaz could be one tremendous defensive outfield.   Mullins might want to start taking Spanish lessons in the off season, if he doesnt already know some.

It's fun to imagine these three patrolling the outfield. I think it would drive opposing hitters nuts. A lot of bloop singles and gap doubles will turn into highlight-reel diving catches, etc. And I love Mullins in left in that setup. 

I hope we're building this team to win with pitching and defense first. That's my ONE concern about Mountcastle. If he's not a plus defender at third, and nobody seems to think he is... I might consider bringing him up and then trying to trade him. That's how much I hope we focus on defense. Why? Because I think defense is probably "cheap" relative to offense. So that could allow us to do a kind of defensive Moneyball thing. Second, I simply cannot watch bad defensive baseball teams. I shut it off and mow the lawn. 

13 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Speaking of baseball players, only 20 if the top 100 prospects, per fangraphs, went to a 4 year college or university. 

What list are you looking at?   I’m slightly surprised it’s that low, considering that the majority of players drafted (overall and in the early rounds) went to a 4-year school.    Factoring in foreign players, I would have guessed 40 percent or so of top prospects went to 4 year schools.   

5 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Do the Orioles lose an extra year of control by calling up Mullins when they did? I sure hope not.

They could have left him down until next May. But as my friend the corn slayer often states "Those are not the kind of guys you super two."

12 minutes ago, weams said:

They could have left him down until next May. But as my friend the corn slayer often states "Those are not the kind of guys you super two."

They could have called him up in mid-April and extended his time under control by a year.   It didn’t need to be May.   But I’m okay getting a good look at Mullins now.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They could have called him up in mid-April and extended his time under control by a year.   It didn’t need to be May.   But I’m okay getting a good look at Mullins now.

I was just being safe. You never know where that day falls. 

24 minutes ago, weams said:

I was just being safe. You never know where that day falls. 

Getting credit for a full year of service time and being eligible for arbitration are two separate issues.   The date for the former is always known.   It’s 171 calendar days before the end of season (inclusive of the final day).       It’s the date for eligibility for arbitration that moves around a bit.

6 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Do the Orioles lose an extra year of control by calling up Mullins when they did? I sure hope not.

Oh I don't know. But I'm sure glad he is in Baltimore. I would like to see more of the young guys come up. 

6 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

N.ope.  Don't think so.  Just like when Machado was recalled in 2012, they still had him under control for six years (2013, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18).

Archived