Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

19 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

At the trade deadline, some of the national prospect acknowledged Mullins ability to perform. Described him as a plus defensive, 15 hr/sb, .270 hitter. That seems like a good projection. That is not the profile of a 4th outfielder. Also, for people who live and die by prospect lists, MLB has him as a 50 fv. That is everyday regular.

I also have him as a 50 FV, there is 4th OF risk, but also above average regular upside. I think it's a pretty stable profile, with a relatively low range between reasonable floor and ceiling. 

He has a .738 OPS against LHP this year, that's playable.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, El Gordo said:

So why bring up Mullins before then?

At this point I don't think they should. I mean in a perfect world Jones would've waived his 10-5 and Mullins would be in CF already. Now it is best to wait i guess. I was just correcting the poster above

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you have any evidence supporting the idea that more time in AAA will help with that?

Guys can learn things in the majors as well.

Seems to me the main thing you learn in AAA is how to hit AAA pitchers.

I have no evidence, but it stands to reason that he has had fewer AB's vs lefties and the more experience he can get against them, the better.

Do you have evidence that players can magically hit lefties by being promoted to MLB? That would be surprising.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I have no evidence, but it stands to reason that he has had fewer AB's vs lefties and the more experience he can get against them, the better.

Do you have evidence that players can magically hit lefties by being promoted to MLB? That would be surprising.

Nope, then again I'm not the one making claims.

8 hours ago, Aglets said:

.267 / .332 / .425   seems pretty solid to me for a CF in Norfolk.   That kind of OBP would (I believe) lead the team up here.

Yeah it’s Norfolk, it’s not really a hitters park.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

The question is why is he not in the majors. Not being able to hit lefties is one reason holding him back.

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The question is why is he not in the majors. Not being able to hit lefties is one reason holding him back.

You know who else can't hit lefties... Kyle Schwarber, Andrew Benintendi, Michael Conforto, Brett Gardner.

Also, he's defended himself against LHP much better this year. I mean, the only reason he's not on the roster is that Adam Jones declined to waive his no-trade protection. I don't blame Jones for his decision, it was his right to make it. I also don't think there is any harm in letting Mullins stay in AAA a little longer. What I don't want is Buck planting Mullins on the bench or deciding he's only a platoon player without any MLB data to back it up. 

12 hours ago, weams said:

Jones evidently has stated that he won't move off center until September. I am not sure where or why, But I've read people talking that way.

Buck needs to go. Why is a player on his way out the door controlling where he plays? Buck can't move on soon enough. As long as he can line up Mancinci, Jones, and Rickard in the OF, no young guys will get a look.

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

You know who else can't hit lefties... Kyle Schwarber, Andrew Benintendi, Michael Conforto, Brett Gardner.

Also, he's defended himself against LHP much better this year. I mean, the only reason he's not on the roster is that Adam Jones declined to waive his no-trade protection. I don't blame Jones for his decision, it was his right to make it. I also don't think there is any harm in letting Mullins stay in AAA a little longer. What I don't want is Buck planting Mullins on the bench or deciding he's only a platoon player without any MLB data to back it up. 

Seems like some folks are a lot more worried about what players can't do than what they can do.

8 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Buck needs to go. Why is a player on his way out the door controlling where he plays? Buck can't move on soon enough. As long as he can line up Mancinci, Jones, and Rickard in the OF, no young guys will get a look.

Don't forget Jace Peterson! ?

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If only there were a right handed guy on the roster that Buck feels comfortable putting into Center Field.

Exactly. I would rather continue his development as a full time player. If he comes up now he is probably a platoon player. Look, I am not against calling him up. I am just stating one reason for keeping him back to answer OPs question. There are good reasons to give him a shot 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly. I would rather continue his development as a full time player. If he comes up now he is probably a platoon player. Look, I am not against calling him up. I am just stating one reason for keeping him back to answer OPs question. There are good reasons to give him a shot 

I'd be fine with him playing as the strong side of a platoon this year.

I'd rather he play every day but I feel some added days off for guys in their first year is probably helpful as they are not used to playing 162.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd be fine with him playing as the strong side of a platoon this year.

I'd rather he play every day but I feel some added days off for guys in their first year is probably helpful as they are not used to playing 162.

Got evidence for that? Lol, I am kidding but go ahead and have the last word if you want.

Archived