Speed

weams

Ist inning.. not stealing cost us a run already. Our leadoff hitter Jones got a hit, if he stole second he would have went to 3rd on Machados hit which was really an error,

And scored on the Davis deep fly out. We needed that run.

You are right. If he had a 100% chance to be successful, not stealing was one of the stupidest managerial moves in history.

If he had a 90% chance, it was still a huge blunder on Buck's part.

At 80%, he probably still should have gone.

Of course, Adam's career steal % is about 73%, and that pitcher threw over several times, so he was paying far more attention to Adam than most pitchers do, so it wouldn't surprise me if his chances were under 70% there (granted that I know nothing about Casali behind the plate. Did he play Fredo in the Godfather?)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ist inning.. not stealing cost us a run already. Our leadoff hitter Jones got a hit, if he stole second he would have went to 3rd on Machados hit which was really an error,

And scored on the Davis deep fly out. We needed that run.

I don't think you understand how this works.

It's not a free base. The catcher has the opportunity to throw the base stealer out.

I don't think you understand how this works.

It's not a free base. The catcher has the opportunity to throw the base stealer out.

You are a big Jones fan. He is 1 for 1 at steals. Why not try again? I'm saying it depends on the catchers ability to throw runners out, play the odds. Baseball is a game of percentages now days.

You need a leadoff batter that gets on base and can steal when the opportunity is there.

You are a big Jones fan. He is 1 for 1 at steals. Why not try again? I'm saying it depends on the catchers ability to throw runners out, play the odds. Baseball is a game of percentages now days.

You need a leadoff batter that gets on base and can steal when the opportunity is there.

How would you know that he is a Jones fan? And why do you need a leadoff guy to steal?

You really think that?

Do you think it is as easy to steal a base with Tillman on the mound as it is Jimenez?

Yea, I can't believe you are for real.

I can't see someone being this ignorant of knowledge yet so forthcoming with their opinions.

You really think that?

Do you think it is as easy to steal a base with Tillman on the mound as it is Jimenez?

Yea, I can't believe you are for real.

I can't see someone being this ignorant of knowledge yet so forthcoming with their opinions.

Maybe not as new as we thought.

How would you know that he is a Jones fan? And why do you need a leadoff guy to steal?

Ron Hunt was an outstanding lead-off hitter, and he did not steal a lot of bases.

He batted .280 with a .383 OBP for his career from the lead-off position.

He only stole 65 bases (and was caught 55 times.)

Ron Hunt was an outstanding lead-off hitter, and he did not steal a lot of bases.

He batted .280 with a .383 OBP for his career from the lead-off position.

He only stole 65 bases (and was caught 55 times.)

P.S. Hunt was not afraid to take one for the team, either.

For 7 consecutive season (1968-1974), he led the league in getting hit by a pitch.

In 1971 alone, he got hit by a pitch 50 times.

P.S. Hunt was not afraid to take one for the team, either.

For 7 consecutive season (1968-1974), he led the league in getting hit by a pitch.

In 1971 alone, he got hit by a pitch 50 times.

I had forgotten he was plunked that often so I had to look it up as the number was alarming. 58 walks and 50 HBP that year. Wow. That's earning your base.

Rickard sure was getting the steal sign in yesterdays game that he played in. He had second stolen twice. But Jones fouled one off and Rickard had to go back, then he had second stolen again but it was it was ball 4. So the catcher didn't throw. Glad to see Buck giving him the steal sign.

:)

Archived