Speed

weams

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ron Hunt was an outstanding lead-off hitter, and he did not steal a lot of bases.

He batted .280 with a .383 OBP for his career from the lead-off position.

He only stole 65 bases (and was caught 55 times.)

P.S. Hunt was not afraid to take one for the team, either.

For 7 consecutive season (1968-1974), he led the league in getting hit by a pitch.

In 1971 alone, he got hit by a pitch 50 times.

I had forgotten that Hunt was plunked that often, so I had to look it up, as the number was alarming. 58 walks and 50 HBP that year. Wow. That's earning your base.

The Year Ron Hunt Got Hit by 50 Pitches

(By Jonah Keri)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-year-ron-hunt-got-hit-by-50-pitches/

61437-5Fr.jpg

o

Much harder to do than it use to be. Managers probably know by using a stopwatch which pitchers they can run against. Like Ubaldo, teams are 14-3 in attempts this year vs him. No one else on the O's gets run on very much.

I love contrarians and I love it when guys go against the norm. The sb is not dead, it's just diminished. The pendulum always swings too far. As soon as teams fill their roster with slugging catches who can't throw, we'll see an emergence of sb threats. Yin and Yang. And isn't that one of the things that makes this game great?

We'll probably finish last in stolen bases this year, but its about scoring runs. Buck

Yes it is all about scoring runs...

Boston has played the same amount of games as the Orioles. They scored 52 more runs than we have. 417 to 365.

They have 36 more stolen bases than us. 48 to 12. Old man Ortiz has more steals than anyone on our team except Rickard.

Any questions about stolen bases leading to runs? ;)

Yes it is all about scoring runs...

Boston has played the same amount of games as the Orioles. They scored 52 more runs than we have. 417 to 365.

They have 36 more stolen bases than us. 48 to 12. Old man Ortiz has more steals than anyone on our team except Rickard.

Any questions about stolen bases leading to runs? ;)

Just one. How come that doesn't translate into their leading the division by 4 G instead of us?

Archived