8/16 Roster move(s)

Legend_Of_Joey

4 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Yeah, I was definitely hoping for Stewart. Or Hays, even though I can see why not him. Even Santander would be cool but he's just getting back from injury. Yaz would be interesting he's been hot last few games and never seen the majors. But no, Gentry, the least exciting and most frustrating option.

Guess they figured Gentry is a sunk cost, but with all the money they've saved through the trades, there is no reason to not just cut bait and give a guy in your system a chance. I get it that Stewart and Hays are not exactly knocking down the door and Santander is down in rehab after coming back from an injury, but maybe give a guy like Yaz a cup of coffee? Or why not bring up Valera and give him a few starts? I know it really doesn't mean much overall, and I'm Gentry is a good guy and probably doesn't want to end his major league career being released off a DL move, but it just doesn't look good. If you are rebuilding, rebuild which means you are either showcasing players for potential trades (No one is going to trade for Gentry) or you are giving guys looks. Honestly, I would have promoted Valera and gave him some starts 2B while Villar moved to shortstop.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Depends. If its only for 3 days, then he goes, not that big of a deal. 

Now, if he stays past the 3 days...

Agreed. If he's here just for his last hurrah, then I guess it's no big deal, just looks weird.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. If he's here just for his last hurrah, then I guess it's no big deal, just looks weird.

Last hurrah, but also time issues.

If they bring up Hays, Stewart, or anyone else just to take Adam's spot, they are only here for 3 days, then back down.

Atleast with Gentry, tossing him aside after is no big deal for us.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Guess they figured Gentry is a sunk cost, but with all the money they've saved through the trades, there is no reason to not just cut bait and give a guy in your system a chance. I get it that Stewart and Hays are not exactly knocking down the door and Santander is down in rehab after coming back from an injury, but maybe give a guy like Yaz a cup of coffee? Or why not bring up Valera and give him a few starts? I know it really doesn't mean much overall, and I'm Gentry is a good guy and probably doesn't want to end his major league career being released off a DL move, but it just doesn't look good. If you are rebuilding, rebuild which means you are either showcasing players for potential trades (No one is going to trade for Gentry) or you are giving guys looks. Honestly, I would have promoted Valera and gave him some starts 2B while Villar moved to shortstop.

This is sort of my problem with this "interim" part of the rebuild.  On one hand I can see trying to not change 40 man, but there are some guys who genuinely would be worth getting a look at now.  IF we had a GM in control and if we had a manager on board with driving everything towards the next competitive window, I do not think we would see moves like this....

But hey...Im ok with Gentry getting another cup of coffee too.  But I don't see what it does for the Baltimore Orioles.

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

As an Asian, I'm laughing, but I feel guilty about it because I'm not sure if I should be offended. ?

Yeah... It never even crossed my mind that it could be looked at as an Asian thing.  I'm very careful not to offend anyone of any race, and just thought it was funny wording based on the circumstance. :)

31 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yeah... It never even crossed my mind that it could be looked at as an Asian thing.  I'm very careful not to offend anyone of any race, and just thought it was funny wording based on the circumstance. :)

Well... I still laughed. :)

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Are they bringing Gentry back? 

Archived