The 'Piling On' Department

Greg Pappas

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've thought this before about the Orioles and I have been wrong.  So I say this with a lot of trepidation....but this HAS to be rock bottom.  It CANNOT get worse.

Narrator:  After Moose Milligan proclamation that things could not get worse for the Orioles, things unfortunately did get worse for them.  

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but I mean they can't be this bad again next year. Well, I suppose they can. But they can't get worse.

o

I've got to admit it's getting better (Better)

A little better all the time (It can't get no worse.)

John Lennon and Paul McCartney, 1967

o

4 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

67/85 ranked 19th (tie) in steals, and 5th in SB%.

Yeah, I had no idea, either.

Ooh, I was saving that to respond to the inevitable "Well, of course, 'cause they never try to steal" comment. I laid the trap, but TonyS sprung it.

The Orioles were nowhere near the bottom in successful steals. The Marlins, Jays, Twins and A's had far fewer SBs.

I wonder whether the Orioles' success rate was helped by stealing when they were way behind, when the defense was not indifferent to, but not too attentive to, steal attempts.

I also wonder whether the stolen base, and the risk of giving up an out, is a better move generally for a team that has a really crappy OBP and BA, so that giving up an out costs less. (When I played kickball in grade school PE, almost every kick was a hit, and the scores were astronomically high. You should never try to take an extra base in that context, risking an out, because the probability is so high that a subsequent kicker will move you along and the those rare outs are so costly. When the game is at the opposite extreme, like a lot of fast-pitch softball, is it wise to go in the opposite direction and take risks on the bases since the out you're risking is so unlikely to result in a benefit? And if so, is that true for a real bad offensive team like the 2018 Orioles?)

19 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Only in cartoons and on film. In real life, they are nasty, a nuisance, and sometimes dangerous to mess with.

We have one outside our house that gets along with our cats. When we walk out he just stares at us. Sort of a wild pet.

Archived