How Long is the Road to Contention?

WarehouseChatter

On 10/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, Beef Supreme said:

OK, since your claim that I was "dead wrong" was intended as an attack on me, I will reply. You wouldn't have the temerity to mouth off like that if one of a dozen or so other posters conjectured extemporaneously about something none of us could ever possibly know the answer to.

There are some on OH who kiss up/kick down for no good reason other than to get their jollies. You jumped in my grill quickly to kick me down but have no proof nor evidence that my guess is wrong or right. And doing that flies against the role of "Moderator." Provoking another to defend himself against an attack is what an "Instigator" does. A Moderator prevents people from instigating fights on public forums. Often, you allow certain posters to bludgeon others with insults. And sometimes, you act in a way that a real moderator would reprimand a poster for.

You asked for it and I shared my honest opinion. And I expect I will be punished for it.

The dead wrong was a slap down because you have no idea what Peter Angelos' health may be. And it won't be discussed here. At all. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, WarehouseChatter said:

With a 42-105 record entering play tonight, the answer from some of you may be "never".  Poor record, lack of leadership, and questions about the Orioles longevity may cloud the picture.  That said, IF the Orioles:

• Land the Mesa brothers
  • Draft a very solid contributor with the #1 pick (say Bobby Witt Jr.) 
  • Get solid draft returns beyond the #1 pick (including in 2019 and 2020 when we're still going to be drafting high)
  • See 1-2 players out of a group that includes Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays and Diaz develop into solid MLB contributors
  • And, most importantly, see Bundy return to early season form, and have 2 of the pitchers in their farm system turn into a 2-3 in the rotation (a group that includes Hall, Rodriguez, Harvey, Akin and Lowther)

Does that get us close?  Of course, if once the team forms an identity, we would add some free agents to finish the puzzle.  Some will pounce on me for suggesting that the above will happen.  But it could.  Let's dream a bit.

I look back at the 2012 team.  Guys like Robert Andino, Lew Ford, Ryan Flaherty, Nate McLouth and Mark Reynolds along with pitchers like Wei-Yin Chen, Jason Hammel and Joe Saunders got us to 90+ wins and an ALDS.  Maybe there were some smoke and mirrors going on, but we built on that and nearly had a World Series team in 2014.  

I'm just saying, I think our farm system has improved.  We have to get back to a winning culture.  Maybe the Angelos sons and either DD or a new GM (and certainly a new manager) can help create that culture.  There is no reason we can't contend again by 2021-22.  

I'll keep my head up.  Call me crazy.  Have at it .........

o

Updating Hunter Harvey’s Elbow Issue and Throwing Schedule

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/updating-hunter-harveys-elbow-issue-and-throwing-schedule.html

o

On 9/26/2018 at 7:24 AM, TonySoprano said:

And lose him to NYY when he's free agent eligible.

51dcbf1e9c54c26738733dae6864ded8_crop_ex

On 9/26/2018 at 11:41 AM, theocean said:

That woman's jersey is obscene.

49 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

It's Babe Ruth's granddaughter, so despite how awful it is, it sort of makes a little sense.

o

Babe Ruth's (step) daughter is still alive, at 102 years-old. Her name is Julia Ruth Stevens.

19 years ago in October of 1999, she stated that she would like to see the Red Sox beat the Yankees in that year's ALCS to "break the curse" ........ I remember reading about it on the front page of the NY Daily News.

I just looked it up on the internet, and sure enough, I found the article !!! ) :eek:

Churchwell-Legotti said she couldn't understand why Ruth's daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, is rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Yanks this year. Stevens told the Daily News last week that she wanted the Red Sox to win the World Series this year to put an end to talk of the "Curse of the Bambino," which supposedly has kept the Bosox from winning a World Series since they traded Ruth to the Yanks 80 years ago. 

The Babe Backs N.Y. - Psychic Spirit Hovers Over Yanks

(By Ruth Bashinsky and Bill Egbert)

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/babe-backs-n-y-psychic-spirit-hovers-yanks-article-1.852766

o

On 10/22/2018 at 1:08 PM, Redskins Rick said:

how long is the road, how about 12th of never? :)

Johnny Mathis video?  Uh no!  I guess @OFFNY must have played this already but 6 pages is a bit much so I will again because we have probably forgotten - "many a winding turn and we must be strong" - we sing this for our new GM:

17 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Johnny Mathis video?  Uh no!  I guess @OFFNY must have played this already but 6 pages is a bit much so I will again because we have probably forgotten - "many a winding turn and we must be strong" - we sing this for our new GM:

Are you sure you didn't want Zager and Evans?

On 10/22/2018 at 5:45 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Babe Ruth's (step) daughter is still alive, at 102 years-old. Her name is Julia Ruth Stevens.

19 years ago in October of 1999, she stated that she would like to see the Red Sox beat the Yankees in that year's ALCS to "break the curse" ........ I remember reading about it on the front page of the NY Daily News.

I just looked it up on the internet, and sure enough, I found the article !!! ) :eek:

Churchwell-Legotti said she couldn't understand why Ruth's daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, is rooting for the Red Sox to beat the Yanks this year. Stevens told the Daily News last week that she wanted the Red Sox to win the World Series this year to put an end to talk of the "Curse of the Bambino," which supposedly has kept the Bosox from winning a World Series since they traded Ruth to the Yanks 80 years ago. 

The Babe Backs N.Y. - Psychic Spirit Hovers Over Yanks

(By Ruth Bashinsky and Bill Egbert)

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/babe-backs-n-y-psychic-spirit-hovers-yanks-article-1.852766

o

o

Julia Ruth Stevens, throwing out the First Pitch of Game Five of the 1999 ALCS (the Yankees won that game, and the series.)

Image result for Julia Ruth Stevens 1999

o

Archived