BR: O's farm system 18th; list of 10 prospects

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are DHs stars?  Mountcastle could be a heck on a hitter but so far he sounds like a DH.

Harvey has the stuff to be a star if his body will jump cooperate.

I hope the O's can add Witt and VVM.  I think Witt is a like star.   VVM may be defensively but I am not sure about his offense.

What makes you think Mountcastle, if forced to move off of third, can't handle Left Field or First Base?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What makes you think Mountcastle, if forced to move off of third, can't handle Left Field or First Base?

The description I have read of his arm doesn't fit left field.  Especially if the O's are going to have Hays and Diaz in the corner.   Maybe First if you want to add to the crowd of Davis and Mancini.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would have no issues at all moving Davis, Mancini and Trumbo aside for Mountcastle.

The O's probably have Trumbo for another  half season to a whole season.  Davis only move is to DH or the bench.  He is not going anywhere.  Mancini is probably a long term piece.  He is a better defensive player than Mountcastle at this point.

Just now, wildcard said:

The O's probably have Trumbo for another  half season to a whole season.  Davis only move is to DH or the bench.  He is not going anywhere.  Mancini is probably a long term piece.  He is a better defensive player than Mountcastle at this point.

So you think Mancini can play a borderline passable third base?

Mancini is bad in left and maybe average at first. 

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The description I have read of his arm doesn't fit left field.   Maybe First if you want to add to the crowd of Davis and Mancini.

Left fielders rarely have great or even average arms. I haven't heard anyone suggest he wouldn't be a fit there defensively.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Left fielders rarely have great or even average arms. I haven't heard anyone suggest he wouldn't be a fit there defensively.

If the O's have a outfield for Diaz, Mullins and Hays I don't see a rage arm like Mountcastle getting much time out there.  That doesn't even count VVM.

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Are DHs stars?  Mountcastle could be a heck on a hitter but so far he sounds like a DH.

Harvey has the stuff to be a star if his body will jump cooperate.

I hope the O's can add Witt and VVM.  I think Witt is a like star.   VVM may be defensively but I am not sure about his offense.

I agree Mountcastle may end up a DH.    To answer your question, yes I think a DH can be a star, if he hits enough.   

For my own mental health, I’ve simply put Harvey out of my mind. He’s very talented but never healthy and I can’t allow myself to get excited every time he manages to get on the field.   

I’ll worry about our 2019 pick or international players when we actually draft and/or sign them.    They’re not in our system now.  

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's have a outfield for Diaz, Mullins and Hays I don't see a rage arm like Mountcastle getting much time out there.  That doesn't even count VVM.

I don’t know where or what you have read about Mountcastle, but several reports have been more positive lately. For example, 2080 gives him a 50 FV on fielding and throwing, stating that he has improved at third and that his arm is playable:

Field 45 50

Improving defender at 3B who has a better chance to stay there; hands and feet look more polished after putting in work since last year. Fringy now but can work into an average defender.

Throw 45 50
Arm was a weakness but has gotten it to playable. Learning to shorten throws with his legs and finish plays from lower armslots. Projects to be an average thrower w/ continued reps.

https://2080baseball.com/reports/ryan-mountcastle/

Not sold on Mancini as a long term piece at all. He doesn't seem to have a plus tool really. Can't play in the outfield obviously. Can probably play first but can he hit enough for 1st? I doubt it. He doesn't bring power position power to the plate. He doesn't have a great eye. No speed. I feel like this hasn't been brought up enough because there are so many other black-holes on this team. He had a nice August but other than that has been pretty atrocious with the bat.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you think Mancini can play a borderline passable third base?

Mancini is bad in left and maybe average at first. 

Haven't looked up the defensive ratings, but Mancini certainly didn't pass the eye test as an average 1st baseman the other day on that low throw from Wilkerson.

2 hours ago, Mendoza Line said:

Haven't looked up the defensive ratings, but Mancini certainly didn't pass the eye test as an average 1st baseman the other day on that low throw from Wilkerson.

Not that he’s great over there, but that was a horrible throw. Not many good 1B bail out Wilkerson there.

Archived