Frobby

Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

This should be the easiest decision of the off season. Non Tender.

It's not that easy. We need a defensive upgrade at SS. We have no one in the system who can do that. Beckham is a career 98 OPS+ SS. His glove is below average but not terrible. Who is substantially better  in the system? 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

It's not that easy. We need a defensive upgrade at SS. We have no one in the system who can do that. Beckham is a career 98 OPS+ SS. His glove is below average but not terrible. Who is substantially better  in the system? 

You don't need someone in the system already.

If they are intent on getting Martin in the Rule 5 draft from Oakland and/or Villar at short, why hold onto someone you don't really want to play anyway?

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If they are intent on getting Martin in the Rule 5 draft from Oakland and/or Villar at short, why hold onto someone you don't really want to play anyway?

Is Martin ML ready? Villar has more trade value if he sticks at 2B and he's not a defEnsive upgrade at SS.

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Beckham puts together a decent season in line with his historical averages, I think we could get something back for him. Look at what we got for Schoop. The good version of Beckham is at least as good as the 2018 version of Schoop. We could still carry Martin in a backup role. If Beckham gets hurt or plays badly, it's just one year's salary down the drain. Is he going to get more than $5M? Not a big deal.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

If Beckham puts together a decent season in line with his historical averages, I think we could get something back for him. Look at what we got for Schoop. The good version of Beckham is at least as good as the 2018 version of Schoop. We could still carry Martin in a backup role. If Beckham gets hurt or plays badly, it's just one year's salary down the drain. Is he going to get more than $5M? Not a big deal.

Look at what they gave up for 2+ seasons of him.

One promising pitcher in the low minors.

One thing no one has mentioned is that arbitration salaries are not guaranteed until the player makes the roster at the start of the season. So you can tender a contract and bring him to spring training without being on the hook for the entire season's salary. I was previously leaning towards non-tendering him but given the above, I'd tender him a contract.

1 minute ago, TGO said:

One thing no one has mentioned is that arbitration salaries are not guaranteed until the player makes the roster at the start of the season. So you can tender a contract and bring him to spring training without being on the hook for the entire season's salary. I was previously leaning towards non-tendering him but given the above, I'd tender him a contract.

This is what I was thinking too.  No rush IMO.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Billy Hamilton another interesting non-tender now being reported.

Schoop, Davidson, Flores - I can all kind of get if the modern GM's perspective is the antiquated arb system values HR/RBI too much.  Maybe with Hamilton it's just the same thing with the SB counting stats.

Certainly Elias has plenty of cover if he passes on any of ours.

I'm amazed the Reds weren't able to get something for Hamilton. He seems like a player teams would think they can "fix". He's a really good defender too. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm amazed the Reds weren't able to get something for Hamilton. He seems like a player teams would think they can "fix". He's a really good defender too. 

You can't steal first base.  He'll get a MLB job, but $5.9 million is too much.

Archived