Official Prediction Thread: How many years until the Orioles have a winning record?

DocJJ

I'll go with an even 5.   Let's assume we can assemble a good outfield with Yusniel Diaz, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins.   Then we can bolster the lineup with Mountcastle.   We'll need to supplement with the top draft picks we'll get for sucking so much, and hopefully we can sign Victor Victor Mesa or other international free agents.    We can build a staff out of Ortiz, Tate, Kremer, DL Hall, Greyson Rodriguez, Keegan Akin, Hannifee, Knight and a free agent or two.

As an aside, our catching situation looks terrible- Sisco didn't hit at all.   He's young and hopefully improves, but we may need to address that.   

I'm going with an even 5 years...

Hard to predict when we don't even know who will be in charge. They will get at least a couple of drafts where they pick at the top.  How well they do with those picks will be a big part. But also picking up guys who can help the team along the way.  I mean you can have Mike Trout, Simmons and Ohtani in their prime on your team and have a losing record.  

I'm going to say 2021. Hays, Diaz, and Mullins prove to be a solid outfield trio. Mancini has become an .800 ops everyday first baseman. Cody Carroll and Tanner Scott remain a dynamic duo after breakouts in 2019. The rotation is led by Dean Kremer, Keegan Akin, and Zac Lowther. Dl Hall is recalled after a september callup in 2020. He pitches extremely well. A bench of Wynns, Stewart, and free agent additions proves to be solid. Zach Pop has become a real asset out of the bullpen. Rylan Bannon and Cadyn Grenier cover the middle infield. Ryan Mountcastle has become the everyday DH and has an impact bat. Sisco is given his last shot and though his defense has slowly improved, the bat hasn't shown enough. Third base doesn't have a keeper. Free agent fill ins for the bullpen, third base, bench. A low end free agent starter will swap spots with Dillon Tate in the bullpen, Tate performs well enough.  Hunter Harvey and Luis Ortiz have become bullpen assets as durability remains questionable. All in all, a plus bullpen, above average offense, average rotation, above average defensively.Top draft choices are in the wings and ready top make a major league impact. This is obviously optimistic, but not unrealistic. If we make more trades, draft well, or have breakout prospects, you can swap the names around but I think the 2021 team will over perform and will be largely home grown and controllable.

2 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I'll go with an even 5.   Let's assume we can assemble a good outfield with Yusniel Diaz, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins.   Then we can bolster the lineup with Mountcastle.   We'll need to supplement with the top draft picks we'll get for sucking so much, and hopefully we can sign Victor Victor Mesa or other international free agents.    We can build a staff out of Ortiz, Tate, Kremer, DL Hall, Greyson Rodriguez, Keegan Akin, Hannifee, Knight and a free agent or two.

As an aside, our catching situation looks terrible- Sisco didn't hit at all.   He's young and hopefully improves, but we may need to address that.   

I'm going with an even 5 years...

If they do the rebuild correctly, a/k/a how many of the smart posters on here would, 2021. 

Too many variables to make an educated guess. Do they move the fences back at OPCY? Are the divisions finally re-shuffled after decades of SOS? Do we strike gold in our draft picks?

It's hard for me to imagine it's going to be soon, but a wise man once said “things can change quickly. A lot of things can get better.”

Archived