Top President / EVP Candidates?

wildcard

11 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I've sort of had this idea for a long time that the reason there are all these titled people who have a conduit to ownership is so that ownership can pick what they like despite whatever organization structure they say they have put in place.  In other words, they know what they want and they merely wait until one of the "Positions" affirms that idea, so it sort of appears as an organizational decision when the reality is that it was an ad hoc ownership decision.  That really isn't structure, that's window dressing.

That might have been the case with Peter.  We will have to see how the sons do.  They are saying the right things at least.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I like this idea. 

If they hire someone like Cherrington to be the President, I am fine with that. 

If they hire someone like Colletti I would not be very encouraged. Why would a young up and coming GM want to work in that environment? 

I just...don't care.  I've read this thread, looked at names and...I just don't care.

I expect the worst from this franchise pretty much all the time.

"Moose, you're so negative!"

Well, tell me why I should be any other way with this franchise under Angelos.  It's very rare that they get anything right.

So while hiring a president is a big deal, I expect them to get it wrong.  And if they make a good hire, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  It'd be a step in the right direction.

But to use a football analogy, if the Orioles DO make a good, interesting hire for this role, I look at it as making a 2 yard gain on a 3rd and 25 play after holding calls and false starts have knocked them back out of scoring range.  

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, tell me why I should be any other way with this franchise under Angelos.  It's very rare that they get anything right.

Because we're not talking about Peter Angelos, but his two boys instead.  It's long past time to turn the pages from the Peter Angelos bogeyman storyline.  Common sense things, like bringing Brooks back into the fold, tell me they aren't total clones of their old man, and that gives me a little hope for the future.   Let's see what they do.

6 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Because we're not talking about Peter Angelos, but his two boys instead.  It's long past time to turn the pages from the Peter Angelos bogeyman storyline.  Common sense things, like bringing Brooks back into the fold, tell me they aren't total clones of their old man, and that gives me a little hope for the future.   Let's see what they do.

I admire the optimism, but I'll believe it when I see it.  

I'd be super impressed if they'd $#*!can Brady, that'd be a good starting point.  But as long as Brady can fail upwards in this dumpster fire of an organization, I'm not getting my hopes up.

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I've sort of had this idea for a long time that the reason there are all these titled people who have a conduit to ownership is so that ownership can pick what they like despite whatever organization structure they say they have put in place.  In other words, they know what they want and they merely wait until one of the "Positions" affirms that idea, so it sort of appears as an organizational decision when the reality is that it was an ad hoc ownership decision.  That really isn't structure, that's window dressing.

That's exactly why the new President should have it in writing that they have absolute control regarding the Baseball side of Operations.

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

My Orioles PTSD doesn't agree.  From here on out, I'm from MIssouri - The Show Me State.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That might have been the case with Peter.  We will have to see how the sons do.  They are saying the right things at least.

John and Lou Angelos have some important tasks ahead of them. Picking the right person(s) to lead the Orioles initial steps out of the abyss in which their father left the team -- and even deciding whether there will be one or two senior hires running things -- are critical decisions. It would be nice if those decisions were made by a leader with knowledge of how a well run MLB front office operates, a track record of success in running a business (including hiring and managing senior executives), a willingness to take advantage of the superior baseball knowledge and experience of others on the current management team, sound judgment into how candidates would perform in the daunting task ahead, and an established reputation for credibility when promises are made about non-interference with the President/GM.

And while it's easy to say that more needs to be spent on international free agents, building an international presence, building up scouting possibilities, and improving the team's analytical capacity, it's another thing to decide how much of the team's limited financial resources should be devoted to each of these critical needs after Peter Angelos starved funding of each for years, or decades. 

John and Lou Angelos have to be better at making decisions that can lead to building a winning baseball team than their father was. It's hard to imagine who wouldn't be. They appear to lack their father's arrogance, pig-headedness, short-sightedness, selfishness and inability to get along with anyone who didn't suck up to him sufficiently, and I'm assuming that they do lack those traits. That doesn't mean they're up to the challenge of making decisions that will put this wreck of a franchise back on the road. I'm hopeful, but I see no reason to be confident, that they're up to the task.

We'll see. Maybe by Thanksgiving, maybe by the end of the year. Spring training?

5 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

That's exactly why the new President should have it in writing that they have absolute control regarding the Baseball side of Operations.

I get it, but not that he can resign and still get paid... That's the most goldenest parachute of golden parachutes.  I can quit and still get paid?!  You guys suck, and I'm out.  Pay me. 

Sorry.  I totally agree that the guy in the position needs to control the organization, but ownership would never offer, nor would they defer if they felt their "guy" was mismanaging or whathaveyou. 

And therein lies the problem!  How do you empower a GM/President/Fuerer and at the same time dis-empower or temper/extinguish the desires of an over-involved ownership.

Owners own.  They can do what they want.  They can suck at directing and decision making, but they can do what they want and change course to make themselves look without fault.  You can't limit the ownership power.  It makes me sad.  Not really. 

If I owned a MLB club I would leave it to experts to run the baseball on the budget I gave them and I would be on the field running around a planted bat six times and then trying to make it to first base without falling down.  But that's just me...

43 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

John and Lou Angelos have some important tasks ahead of them. Picking the right person(s) to lead the Orioles initial steps out of the abyss in which their father left the team -- and even deciding whether there will be one or two senior hires running things -- are critical decisions. It would be nice if those decisions were made by a leader with knowledge of how a well run MLB front office operates, a track record of success in running a business (including hiring and managing senior executives), a willingness to take advantage of the superior baseball knowledge and experience of others on the current management team, sound judgment into how candidates would perform in the daunting task ahead, and an established reputation for credibility when promises are made about non-interference with the President/GM.

And while it's easy to say that more needs to be spent on international free agents, building an international presence, building up scouting possibilities, and improving the team's analytical capacity, it's another thing to decide how much of the team's limited financial resources should be devoted to each of these critical needs after Peter Angelos starved funding of each for years, or decades. 

John and Lou Angelos have to be better at making decisions that can lead to building a winning baseball team than their father was. It's hard to imagine who wouldn't be. They appear to lack their father's arrogance, pig-headedness, short-sightedness, selfishness and inability to get along with anyone who didn't suck up to him sufficiently, and I'm assuming that they do lack those traits. That doesn't mean they're up to the challenge of making decisions that will put this wreck of a franchise back on the road. I'm hopeful, but I see no reason to be confident, that they're up to the task.

We'll see. Maybe by Thanksgiving, maybe by the end of the year. Spring training?

You are making a case for why the O's should sign a President of Baseball Operation.    They would be looking for a senior guy who has built a success baseball organization in the past.   He can make the tough decisions on who the GM needs to be.  Who  leads Scouting and Player  Development.   Who leads Analytics.     How to attack getting better players from he international market. How much money will be needed and what time frame the O's should expect to return to contention.

The experienced guy who becomes President could hire a hot shot young GM to execute trades,  build a roster  and improve the farm system.    Both the President and GM would have input into who the Manager will be.

Do you think the hiring of a President was a requirement (or at least highly suggested) by MLB?  Maybe they said, "if you Angelos kids want to take over from your dad, you need to start putting some infrastructure in place including a President to really run the team."  Mere speculation on my part.

In any case, hiring a President is a good thing.  I do think the Angelos boys are serious about trying to do something new and different.  I give them credit.  They could have an entire city in love with them if they make the right moves.

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I get it, but not that he can resign and still get paid... That's the most goldenest parachute of golden parachutes.  I can quit and still get paid?!  You guys suck, and I'm out.  Pay me. 

Sorry.  I totally agree that the guy in the position needs to control the organization, but ownership would never offer, nor would they defer if they felt their "guy" was mismanaging or whathaveyou. 

And therein lies the problem!  How do you empower a GM/President/Fuerer and at the same time dis-empower or temper/extinguish the desires of an over-involved ownership.

Owners own.  They can do what they want.  They can suck at directing and decision making, but they can do what they want and change course to make themselves look without fault.  You can't limit the ownership power.  It makes me sad.  Not really. 

If I owned a MLB club I would leave it to experts to run the baseball on the budget I gave them and I would be on the field running around a planted bat six times and then trying to make it to first base without falling down.  But that's just me...

Think about it in the inverse. Terrible Team. Ownership interferes. Will take at the minimum 3 years to turn it around.

Everything considered, not a lot to ask.

If the new hire wants to get out from under his/her signed contract when he gets handed meddling from ownership or ownership snitches, all he/she would need to do is put the dirty laundry with names attached into the press and he would be dismissed post haste.  He should probably have Ken Rosenthal on speed dial.

Archived