Top President / EVP Candidates?

wildcard

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

You are making a case for why the O's should sign a President of Baseball Operation.    They would be looking for a senior guy who has built a success baseball organization in the past.   He can make the tough decisions on who the GM needs to be.  Who  leads Scouting and Player  Development.   Who leads Analytics.     How to attack getting better players from he international market. How much money will be needed and what time frame the O's should expect to return to contention.

The experienced guy who becomes President could hire a hot shot young GM to execute trades,  build a roster  and improve the farm system.    Both the President and GM would have input into who the Manager will be.

Regardless of title I believe there should be one person responsible for baseball decisions.  There can be a President on the business, but I don't like the two headed model for baseball decisions. What you are describing is what the Giants had when they promoted Brian Sabean and made Bobby Evans the GM. What is an example of this type of front office structure being successful?

Here is the Astros front office.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=hou

Business  responsibilities are clearly separated from baseball operations and Jeff Luhnow is clearly in charge of baseball operations.  You don't have  someone (Brady Anderson) who is buddies with the owner doing whatever they want.  Roles are defined.  I think the Astros have the ideal front office structure.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

This organization hired Buck before they hired DD. This organization always puts the cart before the horse. They won't be successful for many years because of the way they operate. Hell I am 70. I won't live to see this stupid ass run organization win another WS.

Peter truly thought “Andy MacPhail isn’t going nowhere.”  You can look it up!

10 hours ago, WarehouseChatter said:

Do you think the hiring of a President was a requirement (or at least highly suggested) by MLB?  Maybe they said, "if you Angelos kids want to take over from your dad, you need to start putting some infrastructure in place including a President to really run the team."  Mere speculation on my part.

In any case, hiring a President is a good thing.  I do think the Angelos boys are serious about trying to do something new and different.  I give them credit.  They could have an entire city in love with them if they make the right moves.

Minor pet peeve. They are fifty. They are grown men. 

40 minutes ago, POR said:

Regardless of title I believe there should be one person responsible for baseball decisions.  There can be a President on the business, but I don't like the two headed model for baseball decisions. What you are describing is what the Giants had when they promoted Brian Sabean and made Bobby Evans the GM. What is an example of this type of front office structure being successful?

Epstein/Hoyer with Cubs

MacPhail/Klentak with Phillies

Mozeliak/Girsch with Cards

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Epstein/Hoyer with Cubs

MacPhail/Klentak with Phillies

Mozeliak/Girsch with Cards

Epstein, MacPhail and Mozeliak are running those organization.  My point being Epstein is in charge of baseball operations for the Cubs and Hoyer is his top assistant regardless of title.  How is Epstein's role with the Cubs different than Luhnow with Astros?  I don't believe it is..  

8 minutes ago, POR said:

Epstein, MacPhail and Mozeliak are running those organization.  My point being Epstein is in charge of baseball operations for the Cubs and Hoyer is his top assistant regardless of title.  How is Epstein's role with the Cubs different than Luhnow with Astros?  I don't believe it is..  

No argument from me.  You asked.  I answered.   President is the strong guy with deep experience.  GM is a younger executive.

What about Brian Sabean as President?    When he ran the show in SF in 2010-2014 they won 3 World Series. During that period their payroll was 6-10th in the MLB.     In 2015 Bobby Evans took over reporting directly to upper management.   Sabean was more of an advisor with a President's title.     Now at 62, the Giants don't see him in the direct management line from what I am reading..

If he still wants to be a hands on baseball executive, do you think he would be a good fit as the O's President? O's could hire a young GM with an analytics background.

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No argument from me.  You asked.  I answered.   President is the strong guy with deep experience.  GM is a younger executive.

If they are able to hire a successful GM by calling him the President and if they are able to hire his top assistant by calling him the GM that is fine.  I am focused on the following 

1.  One person clearly in charge of baseball operations.

2.  Clearly defined roles.

3.  No half executive, half coach.  Brady is either an executive or a strength and conditioning coach, not both.

Maybe the next O's President  will be someone that can help the Angelos brothers with the two most pressing issues they have ahead of them.   1) Getting approved as principles by the MLB owners 2) settling the MASN dispute.    

The brothers are taking over three business.  The Orioles, MASN and the Angelos Law Firm not necessarily in that order.   By moving up to ownerships of those three entities they may want Presidents to run each business. The President of the Orioles may not even be a person that has experience on the baseball side of the business.  It could be a top sport executive.   

The two experienced GMs that may be available don't scream rebuild to me.  Ned Colletti  and Brian Sabean are more wheeler dealer types for a team ready to win.   I don't see their expertise has building  scouting and player developments and being patient with the process of building like the Astros, Cubs  and Phillies have gone through.

Their are several very good assistant GM around the game that are better suited to lead a rebuild.  

Mike Elias of the Astros

Matt Arnold of the Brewers

Chaim Bloom of the Rays

Amiel Sawdaye of the Diamondbacks

Jason McLeod of the Cubs    

The Giants may pick one of these guys to be their GM but its not like their in only one guy to pick from.   There are several that will be available for the O's to pick from under the right conditions.   They can build a scouting and player development staff.  Analytics department.   And hire a manager.

I think the President may be hired to  help the Angelos with bigger organizational and business issues.

On 10/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, weams said:

Just so we never again have a “Buck and Dan” thread or a “Mike and Jim” thread. 

Why can't they leave Graham as President of Baseball Operations, people like @Tony-OH say he is a really good baseball man.

Just hire a GM to work under Graham, and let Graham be the buffer between ownership and the GM?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The brothers are taking over three business.  The Orioles, MASN and the Angelos Law Firm not necessarily in that order.   

I don’t want to distract from what otherwise is a baseball thread, but a law firm isn’t really something you can inherit.    You should not expect that experienced lawyers who elected to be employed by Peter rather than being partners in the firm will subjugate themselves to Lou (John isn’t even employed by the law firm).     There are many lawyers there who are 10-30 years senior to Lou and may have much deeper relationships with the clients than Lou does.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t want to distract from what otherwise is a baseball thread, but a law firm isn’t really something you can inherit.    You should not expect that experienced lawyers who elected to be employed by Peter rather than being partners in the firm will subjugate themselves to Lou (John isn’t even employed by the law firm).     There are many lawyers there who are 10-30 years senior to Lou and may have much deeper relationships with the clients than Lou does.

So what do you think happens to the Angelos Law firm?

Archived