The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't blame Jeter, I think he's a yes man for the owners.  This way he stays in the limelight and rakes in an equity share in a ML team.

He tried to make himself, something he wasn't, instead of being himself.

Since he makes money for reducing the payroll, it doesn't give their fans a warm fuzzy that its being done for the right reason.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Two of Brady's recent signings. Based on those numbers, I'm not sure he'd be the person I'd trust to properly "evaluate talent". 

Andrew Cashner

2018 31 BAL AL 4 15 .211 5.29 28 28 0 0 0 0 153.0 177 97 90 25 65 3 99 3 0 6 681 78 5.32 1.582 10.4 1.5 3.8 5.8 1.52

Alex Cobb

2018 30 BAL AL 5 15 .250 4.90 28 28 0 1 0 0 152.1 172 93 83 24 43 5 102 4 1 4 661 85 4.80 1.411 10.2 1.4 2.5 6.0 2.37

Cobb had a real bad year caused by missing spring training and some blisters. He will be just fine and is the anchor of our rotation. Cashner was added to be what he produced which was a #4 starter. I don't love the results but these guys were close to the two of the best available SPs on the market. If your going to criticize I'm sure you can find something better to make your case!

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Cobb had a real bad year caused by missing spring training and some blisters. He will be just fine and is the anchor of our rotation. Cashner was added to be what he produced which was a #4 starter. I don't love the results but these guys were close to the two of the best available SPs on the market. If your going to criticize I'm sure you can find something better to make your case!

Do you really think a half season of ineptitude is because he missed spring training?  I'll give a guy April if he misses spring training but not until the all star break.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

How do you know the extra $750k wouldn’t make a difference.  Maybe that added money would allow for both of Gaston and VVM

That still doesn't change the fact that they have the most money to offer VVM. That was the question. 

34 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

...like I said if either of them do better for the remaining years of their contracts then we can reevaluate, but right now all we have to judge them by is their 2018 season. And both stunk. And if you're comfortable with your 4th starter having a 5+ era then I think you might need to raise your expectations a bit. 

IMO, Cashner was a complete waste of money. His 2017 numbers was fools gold. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...like I said if either of them do better for the remaining years of their contracts then we can reevaluate, but right now all we have to judge them by is their 2018 season. And both stunk. And if you're comfortable with your 4th starter having a 5+ era then I think you might need to raise your expectations a bit. 

IMO, Cashner was a complete waste of money. His 2017 numbers was fools gold. 

The past is the best predictor of the future.  And Cashner is going to suck for awhile.

I feel like Cobb could be respectable.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

My nightmare is, we sign him for 6.5 million, he comes here, and sucks worse than Puig, and then day after day of posts in OH, OMG, why did those indiots in the FO not see he was bad and not sign the guy.

I don't get the Puig hate. Sure, he's has some down periods and is a prima dona. But I wouldn't mind having him in the outfield. The guy has moments of sheer brilliance. 

Archived