The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Wear a Yankees jersey into a bar near Fenway park and tell me how safe you feel. 

Wear any jersey other than Philly to a baseball, basketball or football game, and chances are, you will get the snot kicked out of you.

Heck, they even gave Portis's mother a hard time, for clapping on a good run that her son did on the field.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I just doubt that kids who were in their teens in a closed off communist nation really have much of a notion of Baltimore's reputation.   And their agent isn't going to fill them in, because if Baltimore does wind up with the biggest offer he's going to want them to take it.

You don't think anyone with the Marlins will fill them in?

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not really sure I agree with that. I don't think Fed Hill, Fells, Canton, Butcher's Hill, Locust Point, etc. are any more unsafe then they were 10 years ego. If anything they've improved as they've been developed. In particular the Locust Point and Butcher's Hill areas. 

Perhaps, but I've read of crime spikes in areas that normally were considered "safe". I don't have the statistics though, but I'm weary of anyplace that tells their police to stand down during a riot and give them space. Saying that, I do feel safe in Fells Point and Fed Hill and really anyplace where there are lot of people since it's harder for those crimes to happen with people around. Little Italy is fairy safe still though crime has gone up in that neighborhood as well especially on the North East side where its starts get shady.

I hear you though. Saying that, I prefer to Uber into the city than drive in order to limit my chances of issues or harassment. 

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wear any jersey other than Philly to a baseball, basketball or football game, and chances are, you will get the snot kicked out of you.

Heck, they even gave Portis's mother a hard time, for clapping on a good run that her son did on the field.

Agreed. Philly fans are the worst. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Or not?

In 2017, SafeWise ranked Myrtle Beach the third most dangerous city, which received criticism because the numbers are based on the FBI’s crime statistics on a per capita basis. Officials previously said it takes into account the number of residents in Myrtle Beach, but not the millions of tourists who visit every year.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article214825880.html

I own a Marketing Company here. I have a wealth of knowledge about demographics. If you remove the tourist factor, look at the numbers.

I'm waiting for a post that connect's Chris Davis' extension to Baltimore's crime since it's apparently responsible for all things Orioles. :(

The Ravens sure haven't suffered an attendance issue. Looks like 99% of their available seats are sold and occupied. 

57 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Wouldn't you expect the friendly Marlins representatives, who gave them those nice jerseys, to mention that? I would.

As someone who has done marketing during most of his career, going negative always brings in a darkside has has unintended consequences.  Be careful with every word you utter. It's not about what is. It's about how you make them feel. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Of course, this has never ever happen in any other city in the US of A.

Ah yes, the old "I did it because the other kids were doing it" argument.  

Seriously though Rick, I'm glad you aren't afraid to go to the city.  Others are.  Why is it so hard for you to accept that other people have different opinions than yours?  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but I've read of crime spikes in areas that normally were considered "safe". I don't have the statistics though, but I'm weary of anyplace that tells their police to stand down during a riot and give them space. Saying that, I do feel safe in Fells Point and Fed Hill and really anyplace where there are lot of people since it's harder for those crimes to happen with people around. Little Italy is fairy safe still though crime has gone up in that neighborhood as well especially on the North East side where its starts get shady.

I hear you though. Saying that, I prefer to Uber into the city than drive in order to limit my chances of issues or harassment. 

Locust Point is really growing. Woodberry is exploding. just go down to the Union Collective any night. Remington is also up and coming. It seems around the stadium ,if you go a few blocks it is getting worse. Port Covington is also going to explode. Seems like some neighborhoods improve and some stagnant into decay and neglect.

54 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm waiting for a post that connect's Chris Davis' extension to Baltimore's crime since it's apparently responsible for all things Orioles. :(

The Ravens sure haven't suffered an attendance issue. Looks like 99% of their available seats are sold and occupied

Look at the re-sale prices on stubhub.  They are half of what they once were. 

51 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Ravens sure haven't suffered an attendance issue. Looks like 99% of their available seats are sold and occupied. 

The Ravens have seat licenses.  My family was the original owners of three seat licenses when the team first moved here.  Held them for 15 years and then sold them for a reasonable profit.  If we failed to renew our season tickets, we lost the seat license and got nothing in return.  $750x3=$2250 down the drain.  So you really have no choice but to renew if you bought a seat license.  If you look at the on-line markets, seat license prices are way down since I sold mine about 6 years ago and it's getting harder to find buyers for your tickets if you want to resell them.

IOW, it's a completely different ticket market.

20 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The Ravens have seat licenses.  My family was the original owners of three seat licenses when the team first moved here.  Held them for 15 years and then sold them for a reasonable profit.  If we failed to renew our season tickets, we lost the seat license and got nothing in return.  $750x3=$2250 down the drain.  So you really have no choice but to renew if you bought a seat license.  If you look at the on-line markets, seat license prices are way down since I sold mine about 6 years ago and it's getting harder to find buyers for your tickets if you want to resell them.

Again resale markets tell the tale. They have been down  over consecutive seasons. 

20 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Yep, PSLs are available for as little as $150 per seat.

Archived