A Few Questions About Some Former Orioles

TommyPickles

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Did you see the part about not much of a market.

I dont see him getting a multi-year deal for decent money.

I dont see him really to pay for league veteran minimum.

With that said, if he doesnt have a contract, that is pretty much retirement.

I think you are so off the mark it is just silly.  

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You point being?

I never said he had to keep working.

4 hours ago, terphoopsfan said:

I think AJ gets at least a 2yr deal between 6-8 mil per year. While he may not be the CF we remember, he'll make a contribution somewhere, especially if he can come to the rationalization he's a COF or Platoon RF at this stage of his career.

3 year deal 12 million a season at a minimum.  

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I feel like I remember reading something about Flaherty going into coaching next season.

Jones will get a multi year deal.

Buck may take a year off before returning to the booth.  

I saw something about Flaherty considering coaching, too. He wants to keep playing, but is starting to consider the next chapter in his baseball life. Apparently, a lot of people think he could make a good coach.

Jones will get a multi-year deal somewhere. I think he lands somewhere out west. 

Buck will have options. I can't see him taking a spot from Mendoza or Rodriguez in the Sunday Night Baseball booth, but I could see him on a show with the MLB Network. The Marlins have been floated around as an opportunity for him to have a front office role. I honestly could see him coaching at a college, too.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If that happens it means whomever they brought in to be president doesn't have the ultimate decision making authority.

No way a team like the 2019 Orioles needs an Adam Jones.

I don't think we can say that if the O's resign Jones, the president doesn't have ultimate decision making authority. Jones has value, especially to a team that is going to struggle to bring in fans.

If he comes cheap enough, like some posters here think will happen, it would make sense. But, I think the Athletics or another value-minded team with playoff hopes bites on Jones before he gets into the Orioles' "sure-why-not" price range.

7 minutes ago, theocean said:

I don't think we can say that if the O's resign Jones, the president doesn't have ultimate decision making authority. Jones has value, especially to a team that is going to struggle to bring in fans.

If he comes cheap enough, like some posters here think will happen, it would make sense. But, I think the Athletics or another value-minded team with playoff hopes bites on Jones before he gets into the Orioles' "sure-why-not" price range.

Bringing in an in decline "star" to attempt to boost attendance is a classic Peter Angelos move.

There is no good baseball reason for the O's to bring back Jones.

I also don't think he's going to sell many tickets.

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know what my point was, its not like you are stupid or this is your first rodeo.

most guys dont willingly goto Japan and play ball, unless they desperately love the game and need the money and cant find a US job playing ball.

Pretty sure Rickey Henderson wasn't playing minor league ball at 46 because he needed the money.

Lew Ford probably isn't broke and he is playing minor league ball at 41.

Some guys like to play.

I can see Jones picking NPB over a gig in AAA.  I can certainly see him picking the NPB over retiring at such a young age.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure Rickey Henderson wasn't playing minor league ball at 46 because he needed the money.

Lew Ford probably isn't broke and he is playing minor league ball at 41.

Some guys like to play.

I can see Jones picking NPB over a gig in AAA.  I can certainly see him picking the NPB over retiring at such a young age.

Lew Ford was just hanging on until the O's manager position opened up.  Lew Ford-player/manager/GM

17 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know what my point was, its not like you are stupid or this is your first rodeo.

most guys dont willingly goto Japan and play ball, unless they desperately love the game and need the money and cant find a US job playing ball.

It’s academic.    Jones will get a decent contract with a major league team.  Nowhere near the major league minimum.  

There are 5 other managerial openings: Angels, Blue Jays, Twins, Rangers, and Reds.   Of those, a team like the Angels, which left a veteran manager in place for 19 seasons, may be the only one that Buck would get hired to manage, but I think that's very unlikely.  Buck either gets a Special Assistant role in the front office with the Rangers or he goes back to TV.  I have real doubts he'll be in a dugout in 2019.

Jones gets 2 years with an option, maybe with his hometown Padres.

Flash Flaherty gets a minor league deal.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

There are 5 other managerial openings: Angels, Blue Jays, Twins, Rangers, and Reds.   Of those, a team like the Angels, which left a veteran manager in place for 19 seasons, may be the only one that Buck would get hired to manage, but I think that's very unlikely.  Buck either gets a Special Assistant role in the front office with the Rangers or he goes back to TV.  I have real doubts he'll be in a dugout in 2019.

Jones gets 2 years with an option, maybe with his hometown Padres.

Flash Flaherty gets a minor league deal.

I don't see Buck taking a two hour written test.

If I'm Billy Eppler I'm not replacing a manager with as much power as Scioscia had with someone like Buck.  I'd like a chance to run the show without manager interference.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me to see Arte Moreno bypass his GM.

Problem with AJ is he can't play defense anymore.

Not sure who will want him as a DH, part time COF'er, at least not at a contract that he would be expecting. I think there will be a huge disconnect between market value and what he wants.

He'll play if he is willing to sign a one year deal for 8 million or less

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see Buck taking a two hour written test.

If I'm Billy Eppler I'm not replacing a manager with as much power as Scioscia had with someone like Buck.  I'd like a chance to run the show without manager interference.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me to see Arte Moreno bypass his GM.

Scioscia didnt have a ton of coaching experience, before getting the Angel gig and running 19 years, aint shabby for a 1st time manager.

21 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Problem with AJ is he can't play defense anymore.

Not sure who will want him as a DH, part time COF'er, at least not at a contract that he would be expecting. I think there will be a huge disconnect between market value and what he wants.

He'll play if he is willing to sign a one year deal for 8 million or less

I think he’ll get somewhere between 1/$3.5 mm and 2/$15 mm.    I realize that’s a very wide range, but it’s tough to read the overall market at this early date.    

I would not be surprised if Adam had a good year in 2019.    He’ll need to put in some work this offseason.   

Archived