TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

17 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You are right, I cherry picked time.  And, you're right, I would love to trade teams with TB now.  But, I'm sure that I wouldn't have in 2014, so you cherry picked time, too!  My only point was that the Orioles have not been without success in the recent past.

Yep, they've had some success in the recent pass, I'm thankful for it.  However, 2018 was so terrible that it puts the recent success in the rearview mirror by quite a bit.  For me, anyway.  

My point is that Tampa can do it, we should be able to as well.  And we should be able to do it better.  

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Arbitrary cutoff, but Jim Larranaga is a heck of a coach.

It is an arbitrary cutoff, I'm merely playing the game that @NCRavenand I started.

Yes, he is.  I was bummed when he left.  Would like to see what he could do at a school that really valued basketball.  He's done good things at Miami but that's not a basketball school.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think I have much lower expectations, as a fan, than most of us here.

It honestly doesn't bother me that much that they haven't won a title since '83.  I see 30 teams and I expect a lot of them to go significant amounts of time between championships.

I find the off the field stuff simultaneously fascinating and infuriating.

I can't speak for the rest of the fans on the Board, but you definitely have lower expectations than me.  Much lower.  In the 35 years since we last won the World Series, we have had a grand total of 5 seasons where we have appeared in the playoffs (if you count the play in game) and 3 ALCS wins.....not series wins mind you, but actual games won.  25 other organizations (including many who have fewer resources and smaller markets) have won their respective pennants at least once while we have 0 in that time.  That to me is just pathetic.  And I think I would find the idea that 30 teams go significant amounts of time between championships as much more palatable if the Yankees and Red Sox didn't have 9 total over the last 23 seasons. 

Now I would actually argue that your approach is healthier......for sure.  But for me, I care about winning....and titles.  The Terps basketball team may be underperforming and I agree that they should be Top 25 much more than they are, but nothing can take away those 2001 and 2002 seasons...and the title in 2002.  That meant everything to me and if they never win another title, at least they got me that one.  

1 minute ago, JR Oriole said:

I can't speak for the rest of the fans on the Board, but you definitely have lower expectations than me.  Much lower.  In the 35 years since we last won the World Series, we have had a grand total of 5 seasons where we have appeared in the playoffs (if you count the play in game) and 3 ALCS wins.....not series wins mind you, but actual games won.  25 other organizations (including many who have fewer resources and smaller markets) have won their respective pennants at least once while we have 0 in that time.  That to me is just pathetic.  And I think I would find the idea that 30 teams go significant amounts of time between championships as much more palatable if the Yankees and Red Sox didn't have 9 total over the last 23 seasons. 

Now I would actually argue that your approach is healthier......for sure.  But for me, I care about winning....and titles.  The Terps basketball team may be underperforming and I agree that they should be Top 25 much more than they are, but nothing can take away those 2001 and 2002 seasons...and the title in 2002.  That meant everything to me and if they never win another title, at least they got me that one.  

I am not satisfied with the overall level of play I have seen since 1984.

I said I didn't expect championships.

I do expect more competitive seasons.

David Chadd

David Chadd

David Chadd (Photo: Detroit Tigers)

Who: Vice President, Assistant General Manager

Major League seasons: 24

Key jobs: Tigers: VP, amateur scouting, 2005-14; Red Sox: Director of amateur scouting, 2002-04; Marlins: Director of scouting, 2001; Wichita State: Assistant coach 1990-91.

Three pitches:

• Chadd, an All-American at Kansas State, passed on a minor-league contract offer from the Royals to begin his coaching career.

• Recognized by Baseball America as the top scouting director of the 2000s.

• Inducted into the Kansas Baseball Hall of Fame in 2010.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

David Chadd

David Chadd

Key jobs: Tigers: VP, amateur scouting, 2005-14; Red Sox: Director of amateur scouting, 2002-04; Marlins: Director of scouting, 2001; Wichita State: Assistant coach 1990-91.

Three pitches:

• Chadd, an All-American at Kansas State, passed on a minor-league contract offer from the Royals to begin his coaching career.

X2lTMaK8Qb.png

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

David Chadd

David Chadd

Three pitches:

So we now have Hanging Chad.Maybe need a recount. 

Archived