Rumors and News

oriolediehard

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Britt Ghiroli leaves her job covering the O's for MLB.com to cover the Nats for the Athletic 

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

Shame.   I thought she was pretty good at covering the O's. 

I think these MLB.com jobs get tiresome after a while.    You are mostly just churning out short pieces that don’t go into a lot of depth.     Britt was a more accurate reporter than her predecessor Spencer Fordin, but they should be able to find someone else who can do a good job.    Best of luck to Britt with her new gig.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think these MLB.com jobs get tiresome after a while.    You are mostly just churning out short pieces that don’t go into a lot of depth.     Britt was a more accurate reporter than her predecessor Spencer Fordin, but they should be able to find someone else who can do a good job.    Best of luck to Britt with her new gig.   

She held the Orioles gig since 2010, so she saw the highs and the lows.

Leaving MLB.com was one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever made. It was my first real job. I buried my father in 2015 with one of my business cards, which he proudly carried in his wallet from the first day I joined the Orioles beat in ’10. But if there’s one thing he taught my three sisters and me, it was to not live a safe life. Take risks. Follow your heart.

My latest risk brings me here: to the ad-free, unfettered pages of The Athletic.Here I’ll be free of the shackles of baseball game coverage and ready to dive into deeper meanings, analysis and stories that are often pushed aside in the bustle of the beat.

My aim is to complement the already-excellent coverage of the Nationals and partake in The Athletic’s exciting new push into video. 

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wanna know something? Either have I! I figured something was up when Rajsich was not at the press conference. Seemed like the writing was on the wall.

I wonder if he’s more of an administrator than a scout.   Kind’ve the Kent Qualls of the scouting department.   Here’s a short paper a guy wrote about doing some scouting for the O’s, in which he refers to Ciolek as the Scouting Administrator:  https://hendrikherz.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/orioles.pdf.   It’s sort of an interesting read about the assignments the low-level scouts get.

Edit — the author of the article, Hendrik Herz, now holds the Scouting Administrator title for the Orioles.   I guess Ciolek was promoted at some point.    I still think he may be more of an administrator than a scout.  

Archived