Bundy, Mancini and Givens to stay to begin the 2019 season?

wildcard

In a article  by Rich Dubroff of Baltimorebaseball.com he reports on an email send to ticket holders that includes the following statement.

“A lot of our future core is already here,” Elias wrote. “Homegrown players like Trey Mancini, Dylan Bundy, Mychal Givens, and Cedric Mullins will soon be joined by others. And over the coming weeks, we will select our next field manager, who will be responsible for establishing the culture and style of play for the next era of Oriole baseball.”

This indicates that these 4 players will not be traded this off season.    That adds a little clarity to Mike Elias approach to building his team.   Like happened in Houston when Jeff Luhnow took over there will be a period when core players are not traded.   It appears he will wait an evaluate at least until July to see how the players perform.   In Houston there were 5 trades in July.   We will have to wait until mid season to see if that pattern is followed.

Davis, Cobb, Cashner and Trumbo all have contracts that will be hard if not impossible to move this off season.  By December  1st we find out whether Caleb Joseph and Tim Beckham are tendered.  There is no word on Villar so far.  One or more Rule 5 players will be added a the winter meetings in early December.  Read more at:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/11/26/reading-lines-mike-elias-message-fans/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In a article  by Rich Dubroff of Baltimorebaseball.com he reports on an email send to ticket holders that includes the following statement.

This indicates that these 4 players will not be traded this off season.    That adds a little clarity to Mike Elias approach to building his team.   Like happened in Houston when Jeff Luhnow took over there will be a period when core players are not traded.   It appears he will wait an evaluate at least until July to see how the players perform.   In Houston there were 5 trades in July.   We will have to wait until mid season to see if that pattern is followed.

Davis, Cobb, Cashner and Trumbo all have contracts that will be hard if not impossible to move this off season.  By December  1st we find out whether Caleb Joseph and Tim Beckham are tendered.  There is not word on Villar so far.  One or more Rule 5 players will be added a the winter meetings in early December.  Read more at:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/11/26/reading-lines-mike-elias-message-fans/

I'd keep in mind that even if Elias and his team are much more open in communications, they are not going to tell us much of anything in advance and nor should they.  They will speak in general terms and they will speak in cliches.  I do not think we will see an in depth article on MLBTRADERUMORS.com quoting anonymous season ticket holders anytime soon.  I'm not mocking you, and I think what you are saying is likely to be true, but mostly because all of these players would bring more by starting off 2019 looking better than 2018.

My point is that I wouldn't make too much of anything like this either way.  

After the mid season trade of Gausman and Schoop it appeared that everyone was on the table.  However, this email by Elias does not indicate that.   Instead he has stated several times that some of the future core is already with the O's.  Now he has defined who some of those players are.  

I don't think telling the ticket holders one thing and then doing another is a very good way for Elias to start his relationship with the fans.   And I don't expect that is what is happening.   I think we have to take what he says seriously.  He is not saying everyone is on the table for the right price.   He is saying who will stays to start the season.  

Listen to him.

The entire press release was posted in a thread last week, and there was some discussion of the fact that Elias mentioned several players by name.    Like you, I’d interpret Elias’ express mention of these players as indicating he’s unlikely to trade them.    But, I wouldn’t say it’s absolute.   

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After the mid season trade of Gausman and Schoop it appeared that everyone was on the table.  However, this email by Elias does not indicate that.   Instead he has stated several times that some of the future core is already with the O's.  Now he has defined who some of those players are.  

I don't thing telling the ticket holders one thing and then doing another is a very good way for Elias to start his relationship with the fans.   And I don't expect that is what is happening.   I think we have to take what he says seriously.  He is not saying everyone is on the table for the right price.   He is saying who will stays to start the season.  

Listen to him.

He had to reference players in some way the ones listed are

1. Young (ish) -They are obviously going to be accentuating youth while selling the rebuild
  2. Talented
  3. On the major league roster (so known to the average fan)

You aren't going to mention Davis and Trumbo in something like this, just like you won't mention DL Hall or Ryan Mountcastle.

Whatever fanbase is left isn't going to freak out because someone he mentioned in this email gets traded.

He is indicating that those are good players. He also indicated that it is a rebuild. And a process. If he is the man I think he might be, those things won't inform his decisions going forward in any way if he or his staff feel they can improve the Orioles. I think that trying to figure out what he may or may not do with individuals at this stage is pointless. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

And even if he does keep them...

...whoopee...awesome....great....can't wait to see the Orioles in 2019...

Well, what are you planning to do, not watch them?    I did that for most of 2018, but I certainly plan on tuning in next April to see what we’ve got.   

Mancini will never have high demand but given how contenders stock pile arms, Bundy and Givens could easily be moved at the deadline. Especially Givens. He could be a valuable member of a super bullpen. Teams don’t know if they will be in the hunt right now to start assembling super bullpens, but given what happened last playoffs. The sky is the limit. Hopefully Givens has a sub 2 ERA with 15-20 saves around 7/31. 

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, what are you planning to do, not watch them?    I did that for most of 2018, but I certainly plan on tuning in next April to see what we’ve got.   

I'll be watching, but as it stands right now there's not much to look forward to.  Mullins, Stewart and Hays whenever he makes it up to the team.  

I don't feel the need to see another start by Bundy in an Orioles uniform.  Quite frankly, if the Orioles are in the field in 2019, I'm probably channel surfing.  I won't be trying to hold it in if I have to pee while Mancini is at bat, watching him hit isn't a priority over a quick trip to the bathroom.  

Givens, as much as I like him, should be traded.  Should have been traded at the deadline this season.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't thing telling the ticket holders one thing and then doing another is a very good way for Elias to start his relationship with the fans.   And I don't expect that is what is happening.   I think we have to take what he says seriously.  He is not saying everyone is on the table for the right price.   He is saying who will stays to start the season.  

Listen to him.

I'm not disputing a single thing.  I am simply pointing out that you may be applying too much importance to a line in an email to fans.  For example, I am pretty sure we have no choice but to start the season with Chris Davis, but so far, Mike Elias hasn't said he is looking forward to building around the player and he certainly hasn't indicated that he is throwing out trash regardless of what has been spent on collecting it.  He simply said the team would be better with a productive Chris Davis....

Of course, he has to speak of some core players.  He can't say even if he believed, that there isn't a single player on this team who will ever play for a playoff team here again, even if that is at least within reason.  I am thrilled to have the new leadership, as I know you are...I just want to caution all of us to not paint them into a corner with absolutes that have not been stated.  Let's give them some room to operate.  Let's give them time to do the job.  It's gonna be hard.  I don't want to hit July and measure the Orioles by the number of moves the Orioles have made versus what the Astros made in 2012 or whatever.  This is the Oriole rebuild.  We got two guys who were part of the Astros rebuild.  It doesn't have to look the same here.  In fact, I hope that the learned something and perhaps can do it better and make it last longer.

Either way, we should be careful ascribing absolutes to generic statements.  All that said, I do appreciate all of the stuff you post.

I am pretty surprised by Elias statement.  The ages of three of the core players are a little older than I expected.   Using 2019 baseball ages Givens will be 29,  Mancini  27, Bundy 26.  Mullins is 24 which is more along the lines I expected but I am not sure if Mullins is a everyday regular or a platoon player.

It appears that Elias is more concerned with how long a player is under the O's control.  Givens and Bundy are under O's control through  2021, Mancini through 2022 and Mullins throughout 2024.

I know Elias' statement on core  players may change after he evaluates them during the first half.  But at least their is some direction from Elias on what may be happening this off season concerning these four players.

Archived