Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

40 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

With the recent roster changes, Chris Davis is now the sole player from the 2014 AL East championship team who is currently on the roster. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Wasnt he suspended long before they clinched championship?

Yes, he was part of that team but wasn’t playing when they clinched the AL East or in the playoffs.   So, that means nobody who appeared in the 2014 postseason for the O’s is on the team.   That’s rather incredible.    

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. With the Mike Mussinas, Paul Blairs, Elly Hedricks, Mike Ceullars and Dave McNallys. 

Elrod was a beloved player and coach but he’s not in the same stratosphere as a player as any of these others.    In fact, he played in fewer games and was less valuable (as measured by rWAR) than Andy Etchebarrren.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elrod was a beloved player and coach but he’s not in the same stratosphere as a player as any of these others.    In fact, he played in fewer games and was less valuable (as measured by rWAR) than Andy Etchebarrren.

I agree. I misspoke. 

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s a level down from the statue guys.   But up there with the Joneses and Markakises of the world.   

The success or failure of Mike Elias as EVP and GM will not turn on whether Brady retains a job in the organization.    It’s important that Elias have discretion whether to keep Brady or not; whatever decision he makes is fine with me.  

With all due respect, Brady is more than a level down as compared to the statue guys...

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Putting Brady Anderson in the same sentence as Brooks, Frank, Ripken, Palmer as an "icon" is ridiculous, imho. 

My point isn't about just their playing time. It's about their playing time and *post* playing time. And if you really want to get into it, Anderson put up a 35 WAR over 14 seasons with the Orioles. He's been with the organization in an official capacity for the last 6+ years. He's 54 years old and has spent nearly 40% of his life working for the Orioles as a player or an executive. I don't think we should downplay that in any way, shape or form. He's a household Baltimore name. I mean, he's essentially Nick Markakis (over his entire career) but with executive experience with the O's.

Frank was an Oriole for 6 years. He managed the Orioles for 3 years. He was a hell of a player in his short time with the O's.

I won't ever downplay Palmer, Brooks or Ripken. Palmer is arguably my favour Oriole for pre and post-Oriole player career (his color commentary is second to none...easily the best in the business). Brooks is probably my favourite human being regardless of his Oriole tenure. And Ripken, although I certainly am not a fan of his outside of the Orioles, is probably the most household Oriole name (or least top 3).

But Brady is up there to me because he's one of the best recent Orioles to me being that I was born in 1983. Also, I don't take quotes like this lightly:

On August 21, 2004, Anderson was inducted into the Baltimore Orioles Hall of Fame. Cal Ripken, Jr. introduced Anderson and called him "the greatest leadoff hitter in Orioles baseball, and the best athlete I have ever played with." During Ripken's induction ceremony to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007, he described Anderson as "simply my best friend."

Now, to that end, if we're just talking about players? Of course Anderson doesn't belong in that list. But that was never my contention.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But he did make the phantom tag on Bernie Carbo in Game 1 of the 1970 World Series. Good thing he had his throwing hand out of the umpire's line of vision, cause that's where the ball was.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

My point isn't about just their playing time. It's about their playing time and *post* playing time. And if you really want to get into it, Anderson put up a 35 WAR over 14 seasons with the Orioles. He's been with the organization in an official capacity for the last 6+ years. He's 54 years old and has spent nearly 40% of his life working for the Orioles as a player or an executive. I don't think we should downplay that in any way, shape or form. He's a household Baltimore name. I mean, he's essentially Nick Markakis (over his entire career) but with executive experience with the O's.

Frank was an Oriole for 6 years. He managed the Orioles for 3 years. He was a hell of a player in his short time with the O's.

I won't ever downplay Palmer, Brooks or Ripken. Palmer is arguably my favour Oriole for pre and post-Oriole player career (his color commentary is second to none...easily the best in the business). Brooks is probably my favourite human being regardless of his Oriole tenure. And Ripken, although I certainly am not a fan of his outside of the Orioles, is probably the most household Oriole name (or least top 3).

But Brady is up there to me because he's one of the best recent Orioles to me being that I was born in 1983. Also, I don't take quotes like this lightly:

On August 21, 2004, Anderson was inducted into the Baltimore Orioles Hall of Fame. Cal Ripken, Jr. introduced Anderson and called him "the greatest leadoff hitter in Orioles baseball, and the best athlete I have ever played with." During Ripken's induction ceremony to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007, he described Anderson as "simply my best friend."

Now, to that end, if we're just talking about players? Of course Anderson doesn't belong in that list. But that was never my contention.

I am glad you feel so strongly about Brady Anderson.  You are entitled. 

19 minutes ago, weams said:

I have to agree with Frobby.  He accumulated 35 rWAR in his career. 

Compared to Mike Mussina’s 83.  McNally, Cuellar, Blair, Elrod, Boog were part of the best baseball teams  in Oriole history...i hold them closer to my heart than Brady, but it doesn’t really matter...we all have our favorites...Brady was nowhere near my top ten list of personal favorite Oriole players.  But to each his own...And, either way, I still do not believe he is a good executive, no matter how good a player he was or wasn’t, 

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Compared to Mike Mussina’s 83.  McNally, Cuellar, Blair, Elrod, Boog were part of the best baseball teams  in Oriole history...i hold them closer to my heart than Brady, but it doesn’t really matter...we all have our favorites...Brady was nowhere near my top ten list of personal favorite Oriole players.  But to each his own...And, either way, I still do not believe he is a good executive, no matter how good a player he was or wasn’t, 

He is next tier down from the statues as a player. That is all I was defending. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I would not put Brady in my top 10 favorite Orioles.    But among position players, he arguably was one of the ten best, or at least had one of the ten best Oriole careers.  6th in games played, 4th in plate appearances, 4th in runs, 5th in hits, 6th in total bases, 5th in doubles, 2nd in triples, 8th in homers, 7th in RBI, 2nd in walks, 1st in stolen bases.   He’s an inner circle Orioles Hall of Famer.

That’s really got nothing to do with whether he should be retained as an executive.    Either he has something to contribute, or he doesn’t.    And he’ll either get in the way of what Elias wants to do, or he’ll help.    I trust Elias to figure that out.  

Archived