Elias will be active in the free agent market this off season

wildcard

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I don't understand why anyone would complain about this approach.  We're not going after top-tier free agents for a while (if ever again), and we'll need players to fill out the roster.   I don't see any player in our minor league system that has put up the numbers to be considered a shoe-in for the Major League roster.  

I think people grumble to just grumble.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, interloper said:

"Active". Emphasis on the air-quotes. They may fill some holes in order to field a ML team, but that's about it. And that's fine. 

I think they'll sign a few players, but it's going to be late and it's going to be guys that Elias and team think are vastly undervalued and can be played early in the year and then flipped mid-season (or dropped if they fail to live up to the perceived value) as youngsters start knocking on the door.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't understand why anyone would complain about this approach.  We're not going after top-tier free agents for a while (if ever again), and we'll need players to fill out the roster.   I don't see any player in our minor league system that has put up the numbers to be considered a shoe-in for the Major League roster.  

There's not much else to talk about in terms of 2019 roster construction. 

Folks have to say something. lol 

MSK 

Just now, jamalshw said:

I think they'll sign a few players, but it's going to be late and it's going to be guys that Elias and team think are vastly undervalued and can be played early in the year and then flipped mid-season (or dropped if they fail to live up to the perceived value) as youngsters start knocking on the door.

Anyone in mind? Just curious. I'm not too familiar with the FA list at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't include O'Day in the Gausman trade if you are expecting to run a 100M payroll the following year.

Exactly.  I see us signing guys for 2 million or less.  I said it before that signing a bunch of next to no cost free agents would make us a better team than we had last year.  

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This leftovers approach does not sound good for signing Jose Iglesias.    Iglesias is the best SS on the FA market and should be in some demand.   I have read anywhere from a 1 to 3 year contract for from between 6-8m per year.  

The other choices like Mercer, Glavis  and Hechavarria don't look much better than Rule 5  Richie Martin.    And Martin will be much cheaper.

I have Manny Machado on the line and he'd like a word...

I also don't think think the market is going to be as bullish for Iglesias as you think it is. After looking at the MLB rosters the only other teams I see as "possibly" being interested in him are the Twins and Pirates.

AL EAST
Orioles - Need a SS
Red Sox - Bogaerts
Yankees - Gregorius
Rays - Adames
Blue Jays - Tulo

NL EAST
Braves - Swanson
Marlins - Riddle (probably not looking to add salary)
Mets - Rosario
Phillies - Kingery

AL CENTRAL
White Sox - Anderson
Indians - Lindor
Tigers - Rodriquez (probably not looking to resign Iglesias)
Twins - Polanco

NL CENTRAL 
Cubs - Baez
Reds - Peraza
Brewers - Arcia
Pirates - Newman

AL WEST
Astros - Correa
Angels - Simmons
Athletics - Semien
Mariners - Segura

NL WEST
D'Backs - Ahmed
Rockies - Story
Dodgers - Seager
Padres - Garcia (but have Tatis waiting in the wings)
Giants - Crawford

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anyone in mind? Just curious. I'm not too familiar with the FA list at the moment.

Here's a summary of the FAs organized by position, which makes it a little easier to scroll through. https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-free-agents/c-293292274

I'm predicting Alcides Escobar (SS) and Brett Anderson (SP) on one year deals. They would just be band aids to bridge the gap to younger players (hopefully). 

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I have Manny Machado on the line and he'd like a word...

I also don't think think the market is going to be as bullish for Iglesias as you think it is. After looking at the MLB rosters the only other teams I see as "possibly" being interested in him are the Twins and Pirates.

AL EAST
Orioles - Need a SS
Red Sox - Bogaerts
Yankees - Gregorius
Rays - Adames
Blue Jays - Tulo

NL EAST
Braves - Swanson
Marlins - Riddle (probably not looking to add salary)
Mets - Rosario
Phillies - Kingery

AL CENTRAL
White Sox - Anderson
Indians - Lindor
Tigers - Rodriquez (probably not looking to resign Iglesias)
Twins - Polanco

NL CENTRAL 
Cubs - Baez
Reds - Peraza
Brewers - Arcia
Pirates - Newman

AL WEST
Astros - Correa
Angels - Simmons
Athletics - Semien
Mariners - Segura

NL WEST
D'Backs - Ahmed
Rockies - Story
Dodgers - Seager
Padres - Garcia (but have Tatis waiting in the wings)
Giants - Crawford

Machado is a better SS overall because of his offense.  But I think Iglesias is a better defender at SS.

55 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

The ol' Feldman special.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think I’ll be getting my FA market jollies by watching what becomes of Machado, Jones, Brach, Schoop, Beckham and Joseph, more than seeing who the Orioles acquire.    The Harper bidding should be entertaining as well.    

You forgot Britton.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Grumble, grumble, grumble...sorry, I'm just here to grumble.

I just want to say, that this is a very under appreciated post.  It is concise.  It is to the point and it is not telling anyone who disagrees they are wrong.

Bravo!!! :new_beer:

54 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Here's a summary of the FAs organized by position, which makes it a little easier to scroll through. https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-free-agents/c-293292274

I'm predicting Alcides Escobar (SS) and Brett Anderson (SP) on one year deals. They would just be band aids to bridge the gap to younger players (hopefully). 

I really don't see the point in signing Escobar, Mercer, Galvis or Hechavarria.    Why spend the money.   Their defense has slipped and they can't hit.   

Just go with Richie Martin.  His defense will probably be as good and he is cheap. He will not hit but neither  would the other guys.    If he can't go the whole season then Villar  switches to SS and Valera, or Wilkerson  who have options or Corban Joseph to play  2nd base.  

If the O's really wanted to improve the team defense and try to make Cobb, Bundy, Cashner and Givens better so they can increase their trade value then they spend the money on Jose Iglesias  who is an above average fielding SS.   But if the O's don't want to spend the money to do that then there is little reason to spend for more than a Rule 5 guy at SS IMO.

The people complaining are probably the same mouthbreathers on the various Orioles Fan Pages on FB wanting Jones, Markakis, Britton and Machado back. It's embarassing so please stop. This is different from the reclamation projects DD took on after our playoff years if you couldn't tell. I'm fine with Escobar or Hechyvarria at SS, move Villar back to 2nd, Davis goes to DH, Mancini to 1B and Trumbo platoons with Stewart. Signing Anderson is fine since I think we're going to adopt TB approach last year some. Maybe pickup a C  on a 1yr deal depending on how they feel about Sisco, Cervenka, etc. Maybe go after Denard Span for LF.  He's not getting a $11 mil contract anymore and with a 261/.341OBP he could maybe be a solid 1 yr gap until Hays/Diaz are ready probably next year.

The days of $130+  mil payrolls are gone and so is the subsidizing of those payrolls thru other resources. I remember when DD said building up the MiL was a priority. It probably was in his mind but not in ownerships. After a 47 win season they don't have a choice. 

Archived