Harold Baines.....Lee Smith in Hall of Fame

HOF19

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why wouldn’t I make a WAR argument for a closer?    And I’m used to getting lumps of coal in my stocking.    Mom always did like my brother best.   

IMO, the only thing that matters for a closer is the percentage of how often they get the job done.  As you said, 90% you're an all star, 83% you're out of a job.  They're like field goal kickers for baseball.  

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

i think Nick would be the first guy to get 3,000 hits and not make the Hall.  

3 gold gloves, an all star nod, never lead the league in anything outside of games played.  Never considered the best at his position for any stretch.  Remarkably consistent, but not a dominant force.  

I'd love to see him get 3,000 hits though.  

041816_MLB_Rafael_Palmeiro_3000th_hit.vr

• 3 weeks later...

With 40% of the BBWAA ballots made public so far, Mussina is tracking at 81.8%.    Based on last year’s spread between the public ballots and the undisclosed ballots, that would put him right on the borderline of making the 75% cutoff (the undisclosed ballots are about 30% of the total, and they tend to be about 20-25% more stingy than the disclosed ballots).    Looks like it’s going to be razor thin for Mussina either way.    

Meanwhile, Rivera is still at 100%, Halladay at 93.9%, and Martinez at 90.9%.     They all appear to be sitting pretty.    

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With 40% of the BBWAA ballots made public so far, Mussina is tracking at 81.8%.    Based on last year’s spread between the public ballots and the undisclosed ballots, that would put him right on the borderline of making the 75% cutoff (the undisclosed ballots are about 30% of the total, and they tend to be about 20-25% more stingy than the disclosed ballots).    Looks like it’s going to be razor thin for Mussina either way.    

Meanwhile, Rivera is still at 100%, Halladay at 93.9%, and Martinez at 90.9%.     They all appear to be sitting pretty.    

Last time I checked Clemens was a vote ahead of Bonds.  I would love to hear the logic of the voter that voted for Clemens and not Bonds.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last time I checked Clemens was a vote ahead of Bonds.  I would love to hear the logic of the voter that voted for Clemens and not Bonds.

Interestingly, as of now, two have voted for Clemens but not Bonds, and one has voted for Bonds but not Clemens.    The Clemens voters are both Spanish-language broadcasters, Rene Cardenas and Sadiel Lebron.    The Bonds voter is Jon Heyman.    Heyman goes with the rationale that Bonds was playing at a Hall of Fame level before he started taking steroids, but he doesn’t know what to think about Clemens.   https://fancredsports.com/articles/inside-baseball-my-hall-of-fame-ballot-why-bonds

I haven’t looked carefully, but I don’t think either Cardenas or Lebron has explained their vote.  

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Interestingly, as of now, two have voted for Clemens but not Bonds, and one has voted for Bonds but not Clemens.    The Clemens voters are both Spanish-language broadcasters, Rene Cardenas and Sadiel Lebron.    The Bonds voter is Jon Heyman.    Heyman goes with the rationale that Bonds was playing at a Hall of Fame level before he started taking steroids, but he doesn’t know what to think about Clemens.   https://fancredsports.com/articles/inside-baseball-my-hall-of-fame-ballot-why-bonds

I haven’t looked carefully, but I don’t think either Cardenas or Lebron has explained their vote.  

I'd love to know where Heyman got his detailed timeline for what everyone took and when.  He must have access to some kind of Area 51 vault.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:16 PM, Frobby said:

Mussina now at 82.0% with 44% of the votes accounted for.   Still right on the fence based on past voting patterns.   The final results will be announced next Tuesday.   

Please, someone just someone not vote for Rivera.  I don't feel like I ask for much, I just want someone to not vote for him.  I'm not against someone getting 100% of the vote, I just don't want a Yankee and a closer to be the one.  But I feel like Ken Griffey Jr would have been much more deserving of earning 100%, or even Chipper Jones.  Chipper was a .300/.400/.500 guy, FFS.  Griffey was the face of baseball for a decade.  

Although by this point, I don't think anyone will NOT vote for him.  Maybe someone will, but their ballot won't be public.  No one wants to write that column about why they didn't vote for Rivera and get slammed on twitter.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Please, someone just someone not vote for Rivera.  I don't feel like I ask for much, I just want someone to not vote for him.  I'm not against someone getting 100% of the vote, I just don't want a Yankee and a closer to be the one.  But I feel like Ken Griffey Jr would have been much more deserving of earning 100%, or even Chipper Jones.  Chipper was a .300/.400/.500 guy, FFS.  Griffey was the face of baseball for a decade.  

Although by this point, I don't think anyone will NOT vote for him.  Maybe someone will, but their ballot won't be public.  No one wants to write that column about why they didn't vote for Rivera and get slammed on twitter.  

Decent chance someone submits an empty ballot.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I feel the same way you do.    But I think he’ll draw a few no votes.   There’s always someone.   

Archived