Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, section18 said:

Most will not like this but he probably wants to meet with John and Lou when he returns on Thursday or Friday to Baltimore. Just go over the reasons why he chose Hyde and plan the press conference to formally announce his choice on Tuesday or Wednesday.  He didn't expect the Cubs to leak it after Hyde told them. Someone needs to talk to the Cubs and see if they were notified by the Orioles of this decision. Does anyone have any late quotes from the Theo or Maddon? No quotes from Hyde?

First of all this is just silly speculation.  Second of all, no one on this board has any idea if Hyde would be better than the others interviewed except maybe Acta and Hale who people have had some opportunity to see manage. 

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

First of all this is just silly speculation.  Second of all, no one on this board has any idea if Hyde would be better than the others interviewed except maybe Acta and Hale who people have had some opportunity to see manage. 

He's got a background in player development.  That is enough for me.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

All of these guys look good on paper but there isn’t enough just from what you see on paper to really know who is best.   That’s my basic point.  So, while Hyde looks like a good choice everyone on the list looked like good choices  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Plus I like that he took the job.  If that makes sense. He’s not a retread. He could’ve played the waiting game too. 

I don’t think Joe Maddon is perfect, but he’s willing to think outside the box. That’s the type of thinking we are going to need when you’re in a division with the NYY and BOS. 

I was worried it was a balancing act between getting someone experienced in player development and a good old fashioned get you through a 162 game season type. Who knows how this will turn out, but I like the guy’s resume. 

Also, this could mean we keep Bobby Dickerson. I don’t think Hyde would be threatened by him like maybe a less experienced manager would. 

10 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

People don't remember this debacle, caused by Frank Wren's announcement of a deal before it was final. Since then, they have denied every rumored deal until it was absolutely done, including the Adam Jones trade, which AJ spilled the beans on by telling people he was leaving his winter league team because he'd been traded to the O's. That simple statement held up the deal for days. This is what the fuss was, and still is, about.

I'm guessing they have an agreement with Hyde, but not a signed contract. From the O's perspective, until a deal is done, it never happened.

The problem, as many have mentioned, Jekyll keeps denying it!  :deadhorse:

I like the age, I like coming from a progressive organization, looks like plenty of experience in a myriad of positions.  Add me as a supporter.

And... poor Roch.  I don't blame him or any other local personally, but it is egg on their collective faces that the national guys get the scoop and they have to deny it like politicians.  Our Baltimore media is completely unreliable and it's painful.

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

I like the age, I like coming from a progressive organization, looks like plenty of experience in a myriad of positions.  Add me as a supporter.

And... poor Roch.  I don't blame him or any other local personally, but it is egg on their collective faces that the national guys get the scoop and they have to deny it like politicians.

He's not denying anything, he is reporting that the GM said, " ... " The local media took Elias from a flat "no" to "it's premature" in 20 minutes. That's pretty impressive. I don't think the Sun has printed anything about it.

The national guys are reporting what they've heard from outside sources. 

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

All of these guys look good on paper but there isn’t enough just from what you see on paper to really know who is best.   That’s my basic point.  So, while Hyde looks like a good choice everyone on the list looked like good choices  

Anyone is a good choice for a team set to lose 100+ games again. Let's see how he rides the wave out and then back in. 

16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He's not denying anything, he is reporting that the GM said, " ... " The local media took Elias from a flat "no" to "it's premature" in 20 minutes. That's pretty impressive. I don't think the Sun has printed anything about it.

The national guys are reporting what they've heard from outside sources. 

The problem is, those outside sources have inside info.  So the organization has a leak.  Or am I wrong?  I mean it's felt this way for a long time.

Anyway - it's really not that big a deal in the long run.

Archived