Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

20 minutes ago, weams said:

Are you talking about the Korean kid? 

Just a few years ago Dan was the top choice for any team looking for executive management. Whether he was good in Baltimore or not. And his analytics staff, though not fine enough for Buck, was thought perfect to replace the Astro's outgoing analytic leadership.

The Blue Jays were interested in Dan.   That hardly makes him the “top choice for any team looking for executive management.”   As to Sarah Gelles, she went from being the head of a small analytics department here to being “program manager, R&D” for the Astros.   It is not my impression she is replacing Sig Mejdal; her position is lower down the food chain.  http://houston.astros.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=hou

I wonder if Duquette will land another front office job.   

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

The Blue Jays were interested in Dan.   That hardly makes him the “top choice for any team looking for executive management.”   As to Sarah Gelles, she went from being the head of a small analytics department here to being “program manager, R&D” for the Astros.   It is not my impression she is replacing Sig Mejdal; her position is lower down the food chain.  http://houston.astros.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=hou

I hope he does. He's a good, smart baseball dude that deserves to be a part of the game somehow. I'm not sure what other types of FO jobs he would be a good fit for, though, other than GM. He'd be an excellent GM for some team in transition like we were. 

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

If someone in the O's organization told Roch the sky was purple, Roch would ask him the next day if he'd sobered up yet - and he would see them the next day.  You understand that there's a fundamental difference between local beat reporters and national columnists and the consequences for sloppy reporting are radically different, right?

Nobody gives a crap if Little Kenny got a tweet wrong.  Roch has to answer face to face.  Keeps you honest.

Saying that Roch is a reporter implies some level of impartiality. He works for MASN, which is partly owned by the Orioles. You can't be impartial when you're on the team's payroll. He might be good for the occasional tidbit, but we really shouldn't be looking to Roch for any type of breaking news. He "reports" exactly what the team tells him to report. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I think by now we are all on board with the fact that this is the choice, that the information was leaked by the Chicago side since they now have a hire to make. 

I wish him luck and Mike Elias better fortune with his dissemination of information going forward. 

News breaking of the Elias hiring, at whatever stage of the process, was followed by denials from multiple people in the organization who insisted that nothing was final, and executives and personnel throughout baseball saying that the Cubs confirmed it.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/12/seeking-more-confirmations-on-hyde.html

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

47 win season kind of destroys your career. I doubt DD or Buck get another top position with an MLB club ever again. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I don't see what the big deal is about Elias being a little tight-lipped or even having to fib a bit when faced with stuff like this. The guy wants to announce things on his own terms and communicate properly to the candidates who were NOT chosen. We should be glad someone is looking to handle these affairs with a little more care and respect. Dan, for all his good qualities, was a poor communicator who at times both seemed to rub other execs the wrong way and, indeed, has been reprimanded by the league a couple of times for some of his tactics.

Elias is a no-nonsense guy with a plan. But he also says some interesting things to the media that have been a pleasure to read because they hold substance, unlike some of Dan's throwaway lines. Roch's latest blog this morning has him struggling for a sense of "normalcy" in these meetings and trying to figure out Elias. I'm not sure anything has been all that abnormal and it strikes me as a bit whiny. Is anyone really dying for carbon-copy quotes from the Orioles manager at the Winter Meetings? Elias is a smart guy who knows that the Winter Meetings are an arbitrary set of dates. He's said as much. The media want to make it a bigger deal than it is. It's largely a collection of casual executive meetings and in no way should that impact how quickly or how thoroughly Mike Elias, et al operate

I think it is just that no contracts have been signed yet.  Elias probably offered the job and waiting for the contract to be drawn up for him to come to town to sign and be introduced as the manager.  

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Saying that Roch is a reporter implies some level of impartiality. He works for MASN, which is partly owned by the Orioles. You can't be impartial when you're on the team's payroll. He might be good for the occasional tidbit, but we really shouldn't be looking to Roch for any type of breaking news. He "reports" exactly what the team tells him to report. 

I think it's false that the team instructs Roch to do anything. I think he simply reports what is said by members of the organization, rather than seek out scoops and rumors from outside sources. He would rather let other folks do that, and he'll just report when things are officially announced.

That said, you do still find some nuggets in there, as you say. Oftentimes, though, we'll hear interesting tidbits after the fact. So he knows some things and chooses to not report them, that much is clear. But I don't believe someone form the Orioles is out there instructing Roch to report on this or that. I think he'd laugh at that assumption.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's false that the team instructs Roch to do anything. I think he simply reports what is said by members of the organization, rather than seek out scoops and rumors from outside sources. He would rather let other folks do that, and he'll just report when things are officially announced.

That said, you do still find some nuggets in there, as you say. Oftentimes, though, we'll hear interesting tidbits after the fact. So he knows some things and chooses to not report them, that much is clear. But I don't believe someone form the Orioles is out there instructing Roch to report on this or that. I think he'd laugh at that assumption.

Hard to find fault with Roch, with this is an organization philosophy and something they practice and believe in adhering to.

Elias is adhering to the policy of secrecy in the organization, saying that he fails to see the benefits in not keeping things close to the vest. And he’d certainly like to reach out to the other candidates.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Elias was quoted on the news last night and saying the news about the hiring, is premature.

He never said it was false.

I suspect they are in the final stages of ironing out the contract details with the lawyers while they are busy at the winter meetings.

Yeah honestly who is going to say, "yup, Ken got me there. We hired Hyde, hopefully he signs the contract and everything's good. What's that? He didn't sign yet? Ah man. Uhhh.. well I sure those other guys still want to manage the team then." I mean...

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah honestly who is going to say, "yup, Ken got me there. We hired Hyde, hopefully he signs the contract and everything's good. What's that? He didn't sign yet? Ah man. Uhhh.. well I sure those other guys still want to manage the team then." I mean...

Look at Fowler, that leaked out and never happen and everybody looked stupid.

Roch is only a local guy. National guys have access to a larger network of sources, some very willing to talk.

The first question to Elias on Tuesday evening was whether Elias had decided on his manager and whether the reports were accurate.

“No,” the 35-year-old Elias said confidently.

Two questions later, he was asked if he had even made an offer to a manager. His exact response: “I … I … no.”

A little less convincing.

He went on to answer questions about the managerial selection process, about his thoughts concerning hiring a manager and staff, about other baseball-centric philosophies. Typical stuff for these gatherings.

And then Elias was asked again about whether he had, indeed, hired Brandon Hyde.

The second line of questioning was prompted because, on the big-screen TV in the suite in which Elias was denying a decision had been made on any manager, MLB Network was running a breaking report: Brandon Hyde will be the Orioles’ next manager.

Seriously.

On the big-screen TV.

Right there in front of the reporters and the new GM who said he hadn’t yet made an offer, hadn’t yet made a decision.

Awkward.

Soooo, Elias was asked again. Commence tap dancing.

His response this time: “I will say very clearly it’s a premature report. And I haven’t looked at the specifics of the exact wording of this report. But certainly the type of …”

Elias then laughed awkwardly for a moment. He’s a smart guy. A Yale graduate. He understood the absurdity of the moment he was stuck in.

He regained his train of thought and finished with “… the type of report you are referring to is premature. So, yeah.”

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Elias was quoted on the news last night and saying the news about the hiring, is premature.

He never said it was false.

I suspect they are in the final stages of ironing out the contract details with the lawyers while they are busy at the winter meetings.

He denied that an offer has been made.   That’s the part I suspect is false.  

Joe Madden apparently yucked it up with reporters a ton yesterday. Madden has done a great job cultivating reporters during his career. I wouldn't be surprised that he confirmed the hire off the record. And it is not the end of the world. Once multiple organizations are affected these things leak. Elias should be prepared to deal with that in the future. I assume Elias' interactions with the media has been very limited relative to GM's and managers. I suspect there will be some serious on-the-job learning in this area. 

Archived