Hyde: New O’s Manager

Rene88

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He denied that an offer has been made.   That’s the part I suspect is false.  

I missed that part. I was going off, what I heard last night.

Even if he lied, that doesn't really bug me much.

Just wasn't the right time to announce it, for whatever reason.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He denied that an offer has been made.   That’s the part I suspect is false.  

Yeah, he needs to get a little slicker. The GM equivalent of the bus ride tutoring scene in Bull Durham. "I'll just say the process is moving forward and that I am not going to talk about specifics. We anticipate hiring a great manager in the near future and are totally focused on that goal." Yada yada. If you don't respond to specifics that you don't want to lie about, then you don't lie. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yeah, he needs to get a little slicker. The GM equivalent of the bus ride tutoring scene in Bull Durham. "I'll just say the process is moving forward and that I am not going to talk about specifics. We anticipate hiring a great manager in the near future and are totally focused on that goal." Yada yada. If you don't respond to specifics that you don't want to lie about, then you don't lie. 

Think of it like this.

Regardless of what he says or doesn't say, it will get dissected and somebody will find fault here. :)

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Think of it like this.

Regardless of what he says or doesn't say, it will get dissected and somebody will find fault here. :)

Undoubtedly true.   

I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world if Elias lied about this, but I hate to see him do it so early in his tenure because you want him to have credibility when he makes public statements.    And as I said, there were ways of answering the questions without lying while still not confirming anything either.   

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Think of it like this.

Sure, but lying to the media over something like this is dumb IMO. Certainly awkward and totally unnecessary. Duquette was a really boring interview 98% of the time...on purpose IMO. He had a lot of experience with an active media in Boston, etc. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Probably because it's rumor central and he's gotta spend time squashing or confirming things.

Roch strikes me as a guy who doesn't like chaos, doesn't like having to respond to a lot of twitter speculation.  

He still gripes about the Teixeria-Ravens game incident. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Undoubtedly true.   

I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world if Elias lied about this, but I hate to see him do it so early in his tenure because you want him to have credibility when he makes public statements.    And as I said, there were ways of answering the questions without lying while still not confirming anything either.   

He will learn from this, he isnt a stupid guy, and I thought he already had enough experience to handle this easy of a question, but he will learn.

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

He still gripes about the Teixeria-Ravens game incident. 

Well that was the height of speculation and ridiculousness.  That was so damn dumb.  

I can't believe we all spent hours on here wondering if Horse Face McGee was gonna come home to Baltimore and be a savior or something.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Elias can lie all day long, IMO.  The press doesn't deserve anything.  Just win, baby.  

But it's dumb to get caught in an unnecessary lie when you are trying to build a relationship with the reporters. Plus he's just not talking to the reporters, he's talking to fans. I don't mind being told that they don't want to share things with the media/fans, but I don't want to be lied to. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well that was the height of speculation and ridiculousness.  That was so damn dumb.  

I can't believe we all spent hours on here wondering if Horse Face McGee was gonna come home to Baltimore and be a savior or something.  

It was dumb, for sure. But kind of fun, especially in retrospect. I enjoyed Roch's gripes about having to run around the stadium looking for Teixeira, the wine-and-dine posts and ensuing OH riot, etc. I almost giggle just thinking about it. :)

Archived