A few nuggets....

bigbird

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also need to mention the Cardinals bullpen is one of the worst in the NL. They will take their 21st loss tonight. Sherrill would be an extremely good fit there. Rasmus and a prospect for Sherrill you would think might be doable...

Also need to mention the Cardinals bullpen is one of the worst in the NL. They will take their 21st loss tonight. Sherrill would be an extremely good fit there. Rasmus and a prospect for Sherrill you would think might be doable...

My friend, you're really overvaluing our players. We'd be lucky to get Rasmus for BRob.

My friend, you're really overvaluing our players. We'd be lucky to get Rasmus for BRob.

The Cardinals bullpen is horrible though and it's basically the difference between them competing and not. They have nobody to go to in the late innings. They might just be desperate enough...

Sorry, but I disagree. Trembley has addressed these issues and he does it through personally talking to players as well as working through his coaches like John Shelby, who's in charge of base running.

The coaches can not go out there and make runners use common sense on the base paths. Mora by himself has always been this kind of player. He's never been a good base runner and takes way too many chances on the base paths in poor situation.

Some of the mistakes on the base paths this year have been because of over aggressiveness and a lot of that comes from the fact that the team is not exactly an offensive juggernaut and even when they are scoring they know with their current starting rotation that they better score a lot.

For the most part, the team seems very sound fundamentally in the field and the only blemish has been the terrible base running, which to me has more to do with the players than the coaching staff.

Seriously, if you don''t know how to run the bases by the time you reach the majors, no coaching is going to get through now.

Isn't the aggressive on the basepaths a direction from management? If it is, I do not see how the poor baserunning is more on the players.

Some teams in this league are less aggressive than others and advocate a more station to station approach described as a tactic of the As in Moneyball based on the value of outs.

Isn't the aggressive on the basepaths a direction from management? If it is, I do not see how the poor baserunning is more on the players.

Some teams in this league are less aggressive than others and advocate a more station to station approach described as a tactic of the As in Moneyball based on the value of outs.

Aggressiveness on the basepaths and stupidity on the basepaths are two totally seperate things. Too many times they have shown stupidity on the basepaths, which is the players fault.

Aggressiveness on the basepaths and stupidity on the basepaths are two totally seperate things. Too many times they have shown stupidity on the basepaths, which is the players fault.

If the players are showing "stupidity" (your word) on the basepaths, wouldn't it behoove the team's management to dial back the aggressiveness based on this "stupidity"?

I personally do not believe our FO has fielded a team that, based on pure baserunning ability, is so far removed from the league norm that one might conclude they are by far the worst baserunners in the league.

I would propose if these same players were on a team fielded by the Oakland As that there would be fewer outs on the basepaths.

If the players are showing "stupidity" (your word) on the basepaths, wouldn't it behoove the team's management to dial back the aggressiveness based on this "stupidity"?

I personally do not believe our FO has fielded a team that, based on pure baserunning ability, is so far removed from the league norm that one might conclude they are by far the worst baserunners in the league.

I would propose if these same players were on a team fielded by the Oakland As that there would be fewer outs on the basepaths.

The dialed back aggressiveness could be the problem which leads to indecisiveness.

Also, by your logic, Adam Jones would strike out less and the whole team would walk more if they were fielded by the A's. As the A's teach patience at the plate more than any other team. Should we just move the team or change colors?

The Cardinals bullpen is horrible though and it's basically the difference between them competing and not. They have nobody to go to in the late innings. They might just be desperate enough...

I believe the Cardinals would be lucky to get a player like Brian Roberts for a minor league player like Rasmus. No offense, but Rasmus isn't Jay Bruce.

Here are the current stats of Rasmus this year at AAA.

.249 BA

49 R

71 H

13 2B

0 3B

11 HR

35 RBI

45 BB

65 K

10 SB

.350 OBP

.411 SLG

.761 OPS

Rasmus hit .254 in 2006 at High A and .275 at AA in 2007. His OPS has been high and has led to him being moved through the systems quickly. He may still be 18 months away from a stint in the majors. I do not know that the addition of Rasmus will make up for the lose of Roberts. The Orioles have multiple holes to fill and I would rather not create a hole at 2B by obtaining a LF. We already have Scott and Reimold is a very solid prospect who could put up good numbers. Give me a solid starting pitching or infield prospect.

I like Sherrill, but I wouldn't give up Rasmus for him. In my opinion, Sherrill is an above average left handed reliever. We keep comparing him to other closers. I prefer to compare him to other left handed relievers. Value is determined by the teams need for that skill set.

The dialed back aggressiveness could be the problem which leads to indecisiveness.

Also, by your logic, Adam Jones would strike out less and the whole team would walk more if they were fielded by the A's. As the A's teach patience at the plate more than any other team. Should we just move the team or change colors?

Hire Billy Beane! :clap3: :D

I think it is quite clear that the As have developed the hitting characteristics (or drafted differently) of players a little differently than the Orioles. Are you saying that is not the case?

Of course, as you probably forgot, Adam Jones was drafted and developed by the Seattle Mariners. I can not speak to how that system develops its hitters, but perhaps you can shed some light on that. Thanks in advance.

I think it is quite clear that the As have developed the hitting characteristics (or drafted differently) of players a little differently than the Orioles. Are you saying that is not the case?

Of course, as you probably forgot, Adam Jones was drafted and developed by the Seattle Mariners. I can not speak to how that system develops its hitters, but perhaps you can shed some light on that. Thanks in advance.

The A's definitely do. I really don't know much about the O's of the past. They have some decent hitters, it seems, coming up. Don't know how patient they are.

As for the M's, I really don't know, how they taught their guys. Their two big talents, Jones (at the time) and Balentien were both K machines. They do have some decent bats in the system, but they have a big gap in AA. And the Bedard trade didn't help any either, even though most of that was pitching theivery.

Seems to me the thing to dial back would be the stupidity.

Archived