A few nuggets....

bigbird

Trembley has consistently been very hard on Olson specifically, probably because he thinks that's what Olson needs.

I think there's a lot of merit to this. But it does undermine the idea that there's a per se rule that a coach should refrain from criticizing his players in public. In some cases, yes, in some cases no?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one kicking back with some soda and popcorn? I just saw The Dark Knight last night, but this thread has gotten to be just as entertaining. :P

No. I'm finding it particularly amusing because I've actually been in thread-clearing brawls with all three of the combatants myself (although I hold no grudges against any of them). :rofl:

No. I'm finding it particularly amusing because I've actually been in thread-clearing brawls with all three of the combatants myself (although I hold no grudges against any of them). :rofl:

Or so you (strategically) say. ;)

And I still have work to do. The heck with this argument. I've got briefing to do. (Sigh.)

You're so predictable. Thinly-veiled insult. Change subject rather than acknowledge own limitation.

You're a class act. Your actions are - needless to say - chock full o' class.

Whatever.

I still think it's silly to equate a client's relationship with whoever in a law firm is working on his legal matters with a fan's relationship with the manager of his favorite ball team. If you think it's a good analogy, then I don't know what to say.

I honestly didn't think you were serious about it, which is why I was joking with you about it. But see I was wrong about that. It was 100% my mistake. That became clear when you got all huffy and posted a link to a wikipedia post about class action lawsuits (of all things). I don't know what to say about that either. You think some fans should sue DT about the baserunning?

Or so you (strategically) say. ;)

And I still have work to do. The heck with this argument. I've got briefing to do. (Sigh.)

There is absolutely no better time to get distracted by a virtual knock-down-drag-out than midnight on a Friday night when you have work to do. :D

What I find most interesting about this thread and others like it is what rights we fans have and how we base assumptions when we don't know what is going on.

* The A's make a big deal so we assume that we haven't tried to make any deals because they don't come out and say so.

* The team plays poorly so we assume that Trembley and his coaches aren't taking steps to correct actions because they won't bash a player in a post game news conference.

We are members of a society built on instant gratification. When we don't hear what we want to hear when we want to hear it - we become upset.

There was a slogan in WW2 that said - lose lips sink ships. This slogan wasn't just about keeping your trap shut - but it was about respect and honor. We have lost that because we have assumed ownership of everything - we have the RIGHT TO KNOW has become our motto in everything and what ends up happening are the things that we find out end up hurting us in the long run. And it has reached all the way down to the things that we do as recreational events - such as being fans. Just think if our need to know caused the Bedard trade to fall apart? How many other deals may have happened if we didn't ruin them because of our right to know?

These aren't kids. It is funny that all the guys suggesting public embarrassment don't respond to what they'd do if they're manager publicly embarrassed them.

Do you remember when Miller told the press "go talk to them. I didn't make those terrible plays/pitches"? Remember how the team went completely in the tank. Care to explain how this is different?

I don't know a manager in the majors who throws ANYONE on their team under the bus in the press. Not one. Even Ozzy doesn't do that though he did throw his hitting coach and GM under the bus (and almost got fired for it).

This just isn't what a good manager in any profession does. I'm sorry, but I'm shocked so many of you disagree with this point.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I don't know what would be a good approach, but I can give you a very good coach who does say negative things about his players to the press. Different sport though.

Phil Jackson.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I don't know what would be a good approach, but I can give you a very good coach who does say negative things about his players to the press. Different sport though.

Phil Jackson.

Yes. yes. I respect both you and VaTech a ton on tihs board. But your'e defienitly right here.

Phil Jackson.

And when I say negative things, I do mean embarrasing things at times. Had to clarify that since I saw how the thread progressed.

I don't understand this idea that a manager can't be accountable for baserunning.

It literally makes no sense to me.

Yell? Fine? Bench?

Sometimes people need to be alienated and made an example of.

You tell your little brother to look both ways before corssing the street, then you show him how to do it. Your Dad, Mom, and Grand-Dad do the same. 2 years later your brother gets hit by a car because he didn't look both ways. I guess the blame falls on You, Dad, Mom, and Grand-Dad? Wrong!

This comes down to accountability. Accountability by the press to be more professional with their dealings with and around the team. The Orioles help sell the Sun paper, the Sun paper probably does a little less for the Orioles. When was the last time you paid for a game because of the Sun? Ok, when was the last time you paid for the Sun because of the Orioles. Right.

Players make mistakes, the game has a way of moving pretty fast sometimes. So here is how Shelby should be talking to our baserunners at third.

Shelby: If the ball is hit very slowly to shortstop you should go, but only if you get a good jump.

Shelby: Stay back on a line drive and make sure to stay back for the tag if the ball is hit in the air to the outfield.

Shelby: There is are no outs, so it does you no good to run unless you can give yourself up to allow the runner at first to reach second and the batter to reach first safely.

Shelby: You can take a lead based on how close the third baseman is playing to the bag. If he is close then take a shorter lead. If he is further away then feel free to take a step or too.

Shelby: If there is a wild pitch, make sure that it gets far enough way from the catcher so you can advance.

Announcer: Sharp ground ball at Inge, the runner from third is frozen. Thrw to second for the force, the runner is breaking home. He is out! Orioles lose by one.

Let's stop blaming Trembley for the loses, he has done an above average job with the talent on his roster. At the start of the season, experts were predicting that the Orioles could win 60-68 games. If you were told the Orioles could start the season on July 19th and be three games under .500, would you have happily taken that? I think all of us would. The NY Yankees are doing very badlywhen you look at the talent on their team and the talent they have in the minors. They have a payroll that is $130 Million or so more than ours.

We have gone from having a team that would lose games by 7 runs to a team that loses them by one or two, yet we are still complaining. For those who thought we could content this year if a trade or two were made, you are off your rockers. The direction the team is heading in has never been more clear. From the FO to the Minor Leagues to International Scouting.

And when I say negative things, I do mean embarrasing things at times. Had to clarify that since I saw how the thread progressed.

Again I agree. The easiest one to point at is odom over hte year Phil calls him out repeatedly -- many times with the hope that it motivates him to improve hims poerformancce.

Archived