A few nuggets....

bigbird

Our base running stinks. Use of the bullpen is questionable. In play decisions by players is also bad. These things should be corrected and they're not.

Sorry bigbird. I'm not buying that the management is upset with Trembley. Trembley has used the bullpen as well as anyone given his lack of starting pitching.

Back up your suggestion that these things are not being addressed. Because unlike you, I was in the lockerroom last night and talked with both Trembley and Shelby and both have been trying to work on things.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but Trembley knows there are still some knuckleheads on this team when it comes to playing the game right and unfortunately, it's the hand he's dealt.

Do you really think anyone can get players like Mora and Hernandez to be smart players?

Trembley is part of the solution and although he's not perfect, there's absolutely no reason to think he's in trouble.

Please make sure to differentiate between what you are hearing and your opinion, because this comment sounds a lot more like opinion than organizational thoughts.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if we're watching the same team that others here are watching BB.

If the manager isn't responsible for fundamentals, who do they think is?

And if the players who are on the team can't or won't play fundamentally sound baseball, why are they still starting?

I don't get this.

If Trembley didn't stress fundamentals as much as he does, I almost guarantee you that this team would look like a little league team. He's practically pulling the vets around by the ears as best he can, but as I said old dogs/new tricks. And the young guys look pretty darn sharp. What the hell else do you expect out of a guy? Especially in the first year of an actual rebuild.

If this happened, it would seriously put a dent in my respect for MacPhail's vision. It sounds like he has a Girardi man crush, when he could very possibly have a jewel in the rough situation already.

Neither do I. But, I don't think he's one of the problems with this team that has overachieved so far this season. Who expected this team to be anywhere near .500 in July?

That's a fair point. Make no mistake, I love Trembley as a coach. He wasn't my first choice (that distinction belongs to Davey Johnson), but he's done an admirable job... for the most part. I guess I'm just a little irked by his bullpen management and all the miscues the team has had as of late. I mean, I realize it's not Trembley's responsibilty when one of our boys gets picked off or commits some other kind of blunder, but it does reflect poorly on him.

Remember Trembley and the second half of 2007. If that happens again I don't want him back...

My guess is this 13 pitcher thing isn't MacPhail's idea and he probably thinks it's not necessary. Also Albers' injury probably didn't thrill him either...

It's not like the guy doesn't have any flaws. We shouldn't have to have 13 pitchers.

And the moment Trembley is one of the pitchers not going 6-7 consistently, I'll blame HIM.

Remember Trembley and the second half of 2007. If that happens again I don't want him back...

My guess is this 13 pitcher thing isn't MacPhail's idea and he probably thinks it's not necessary. Also Albers' injury probably didn't thrill him either...

It's not like the guy doesn't have any flaws. We shouldn't have to have 13 pitchers.

Wait, so you're assuming that 13 pitchers is Trembley's idea. And what does Albers' injury have to do with Trembley? You think labrum problems are the result of a half season of moderate use in Baltimore?

Is this more of your idiosyncratic medical knowledge?

Hall is a younger version of Mora...No reason to go out and get him. We need cheaper, younger, and talent!

Seriously For Bradford .... I think this is a no brainer especially if the guy can play short & he is at 28 much younger than Mora!

Man this wrong on so many levels. Holding people accountable? Benching guys regardless of status? The only guy I routinely see making dumb plays is Hernandez (and maybe Mora to a point). If they are not ready to bring up Wieters, then you gotta keep playing him in case someone (Marlins) is scouting him. So, last night Kakes made a dumb baserunning blunder. Do you bench him for it to hold hime accountable. Players make mistakes, especially when they are trying to hustle. Routinely making mistakes is one thing, but you don't bench a guy every time he screws up. Plus, how about SS? Trembley has used 5 shortstops this year. He DOES bench those guys when they mess up, but he's got nobody else to go to. Same at catcher. The ONE exception where I think they need to bench a veteran and don't is Mora, and to be honest, I wouldn't bench him as much as move him to ss. Anyway, bottom line, there are some fundamentals not being followed, and Trembley may be to blame, but you can't just bench the guys every time they screw up. That is not fixing the root cause, which is overall lack of talent and depth on the team.

Right on the mark for the most part. I don't know about moving Mora to SS, but he is what he is and contractually he's going nowhere. That's not Trembley's fault.

You mean if his team if bad players plays like a team of bad players? Brian Burres remembering that he isn't any good is DT's fault? If AM wants him to win this year, maybe he should get him a real rotation. If he's rebuilding, maybe he should show some patience. It's DT's fault that Albers got hurt? I wouldn't guess AM hates labrum injuries so much since he acquired a pitcher who already had one as the centerpiece of the Miggy deal.

He does have flaws. But, come on. Give the guy a real team and see what he can do.

Sorry bigbird. I'm not buying that the management is upset with Trembley. Trembley has used the bullpen as well as anyone given his lack of starting pitching.

Back up your suggestion that these things are not being addressed. Because unlike you, I was in the lockerroom last night and talked with both Trembley and Shelby and both have been trying to work on things.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but Trembley knows there are still some knuckleheads on this team when it comes to playing the game right and unfortunately, it's the hand he's dealt.

Do you really think anyone can get players like Mora and Hernandez to be smart players?

Trembley is part of the solution and although he's not perfect, there's absolutely no reason to think he's in trouble.

Please make sure to differentiate between what you are hearing and your opinion, because this comment sounds a lot more like opinion than organizational thoughts.

We NEED CONSISTENCY!

We NEED to have a manager who has the ability to work with young players and vets. The team really seems to rally around Trembley and he has the clubhouse.

The only reason to get rid of a manager is if he loses the clubhouse and sees the team dissolve around him. That has not happened for DT as of yet as far as I can see.

You were in the lockerroom last night, Tony? Run into MacPhail by any chance? Tell him to get his :cussing: together and make some deals!

Just kidding. :D

Is anyone saying he's in trouble? I think "not being a lock for next year" is very different than "trouble".

The point of having an option is that they don't need to "lock him up" - they can make that decision when they have full information.

I can't think of why Trembley would be untouchable. Questionable bullpen management (over use of arms, for example), pretty bad lineup/roster management (constant sitting of Scott, the giving of the cleanup spot to Millar on a platter, giving LH the SS spot regardless of a terrible spring and poor season, love for veterans), and extremely questionable fundamentals as well as overuse of aggressiveness on the basepaths.

I do, however, love his passion for the game. But that does not a good manager make.

FWIW, I love how he rallies this team together. He's a great speaker/psychologist. I just don't put him on a pedestal as much as OH does. He's not perfect, but he's not terrible. With that being said, we should be in no rush to lock 'em up.

And we're going to get good prospects for Bradford how?

Guy's a ROOGY. Teams don't give up great prospects for a ROOGY.

When he gets traded for anything higher than a B-. call me.

Bill Hall seems like a decent enough player, but I don't think he's who the O's should go after if "rebuilding" is what we're really trying to do. I think the O's can doa bit better in a Bradford trade. Bradford is having a solid year. Bill Hall is having a Melvin Mora Jr. kind of year.

That's a fair point. Make no mistake, I love Trembley as a coach. He wasn't my first choice (that distinction belongs to Davey Johnson), but he's done an admirable job... for the most part. I guess I'm just a little irked by his bullpen management and all the miscues the team has had as of late. I mean, I realize it's not Trembley's responsibilty when one of our boys gets picked off or commits some other kind of blunder, but it does reflect poorly on him.

I agree with you. But, I think that knowing you have a bad team can cloud judgement. You make riskier decisions. You're more aggressive on the basepaths when you know that you don't have many RBI machines coming up. You overuse bullpen arms because other ones stink. And, you have more bullpen arms because your starters stink. If he had a real rotation, he wouldn't need 57 pitchers. But he doesn't. If he had someone who could drive in a run, he wouldn't need to be as aggressive. But, how many times did we have 1st and 3rd with no outs last night? And how many runs did it equate to?

Honestly, this is like blaming the president of a country with no natural resources for the economy stinking. The soil is rocky. There is no water. There are no crops. What is he supposed to sell? Oxygen?

We NEED CONSISTENCY!

We NEED to have a manager who has the ability to work with young players and vets. The team really seems to rally around Trembley and he has the clubhouse.

The only reason to get rid of a manager is if he loses the clubhouse and sees the team dissolve around him. That has not happened for DT as of yet as far as I can see.

I dont know if I'm off the mark in my thinking .... But My observation of Trembley is that I find him Incredibly dry & boring. I have watched his post game interviews & cant help feel this way. I cant blame him for the poor talent level of this team. However I agree that there has been quite a lot of sloppy play in my opinion.

Archived