What 5 players on our major league roster do you want to see improve in 2019?

Frobby

The obvious answer is, we want all our players to improve.    But if you had to choose 5, who would they be and why?    Here’s my list:

1.   Dylan Bundy - I still can’t escape the feeling that there’s a TOR starter in there somewhere.   

2.   Chance Sisco - I think it’s a make or break year for him.   He either gets better or has almost no value, a big hit for a guy ranked in the top 100 last offseason.   

3.   Alex Cobb — best chance for trade bait if he pitches well.

4.   Cedric Mullins — could be a fixture in CF if he can match his Norfolk numbers in the majors.   

5.   Tanner Scott — hasn’t put it together, but he’s missing bats and could become a pretty dominant reliever if he can step it up a notch.

Honorable mention: Chris Davis, because it would be good for everyone’s sanity if he could at least play at replacement level.   

I'd give Givens the edge on Cobb in the category of giving pixie dust strategically for trade bait ROI. 

Normal Givens should be a fair piece, but I also think he's at a point in the talent curve where if he ups his game another notch or two, the trade returns could get a bit more intriguing.  I also feel like in real life it'll be tough for Givens to do that having fired a lot of good bullets the past several seasons, whereas Cobb is in the honeymoon period with his new TJ ligament now 3 years old.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Davis, Cobb, Cashner, Trumbo and I guess Givens because that would help us maximize trade value return.

I question whether Davis would have trade value in almost any scenario.   Even if he bounced back to his 2016 level I’d think other teams would be very reluctant to risk a relapse.    

Mullins, I want him to show plus defense he is capable of.

Trumbo, have a big first half so he can be traded for a decent return.

Cobb, bounce back so he can be traded.

Hays, would like him to return to 2017 form and force a callup by the trade deadline.

Bundy, somehow unlock his potential, so he looks like a TOR starter or at least mid rotation starter instead of looking like he should be in AA every other start. 

On 12/12/2018 at 2:55 PM, interloper said:

Anyone who says seeing a Davis rebirth wouldn't be the single most fun Orioles storyline to witness in 2019 is an actual reanimated corpse. 

It would be great.  But Frobby is right.  2016 Davis with 2019 Davis' defense is still a below-average 33-year-old who's owed $100M.  The O's would have to kick in $75M to trade Rebound Davis to an 88-win team that just lost the only first baseman on their 40-man for the year.

Archived