Fanfest 2019 update.

Going Underground

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Very cool!  Thanks.  I believe those early days were just to sell tickets, not sure if they were full blown fanfests.   But "Fanfests" whether at Convention Center or at the ballpark, when did they actually begin?  Only at OPCY?   Don't remember anything at Memorial Stadium, but I'm old.  Thanks again for this picture.

3 minutes ago, FR500 said:

Very cool!  Thanks.  I believe those early days were just to sell tickets, not sure if they were full blown fanfests.   But "Fanfests" whether at Convention Center or at the ballpark, when did they actually begin?  Only at OPCY?   Don't remember anything at Memorial Stadium, but I'm old.  Thanks again for this picture.

I think first one I went to was in I think 1993. Pretty sure the first time I was in the stadium was Opening Day in 1992.  In those days it was held at Camden Yards in the club level. I remember the year Belle was signed in 99 it was at the Convention Center. Not sure what year they switched. Some years I think it was 2 days also. 

Not sure if they did it every year but I remember a heated tent you walked through on Eutaw Street.  

Then around 2007 or so they had it at the stadium the day before regular season started. I think that happened twice. Players took BP. They were worried about the Ravens playoff game being at at the same time. 

15 minutes ago, FR500 said:

First one was held at the Omni Hotel.

https://www.carrollcountytimes.com/bal-orioles-fanfest-through-the-years-pictures-001-photo.html

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Good article on the history and why the Orioles started this.

http://retrobaltimore.tumblr.com/post/74825076664/for-some-25-years-orioles-fanfests-have-welcomed

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I just found a ticket stub from 1994 at OPACY. It was on Sat Jan 26 from 10-6. They were still calling it the Winter Carnival then. 

I remember and I think it was the first year I went Miller Lite sponsored a table . They had this gorgeous model there signing posters. I had to have my dad get it because I wasn’t old enough to drink yet. Had that poster up for awhile.

Can’t recall what I did last week but remember all of that.  

3 hours ago, chriscarter926 said:

I have twin boys who turn one tomorrow. Does anyone know if I will need two kids tickets for them? Obviously they will be in a stroller.

It says "14 and under -$6" but I would call to check, especially since they are that little. 

12 minutes ago, cman.dc said:

Never been to fanfest, going with my 2 kids (10 & 9), will we have fun with just general admission tickets? Are there activities for kids to keep them busy?

They have more "kids" stuff than they do "adult" stuff. Between the stuff at the Convention Center and the trip to Camden for the "ballpark tour" (free), they will be asleep on the ride home.

*Edit* Definitely take advantage of the "Promo Room," where they have special stuff for kids, along with the "free autographs" area where minor leaguers, some 40 man roster players, and others will sign for kids.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It says "14 and under -$6" but I would call to check, especially since they are that little. 

They have more "kids" stuff than they do "adult" stuff. Between the stuff at the Convention Center and the trip to Camden for the "ballpark tour" (free), they will be asleep on the ride home.

*Edit* Definitely take advantage of the "Promo Room," where they have special stuff for kids, along with the "free autographs" area where minor leaguers, some 40 man roster players, and others will sign for kids.

Thank you for the detail insight. Even knowing we don't have any premium players at fanfest. I am really excited to head down from Arlington!

38 minutes ago, cman.dc said:

Thank you for the detail insight. Even knowing we don't have any premium players at fanfest. I am really excited to head down from Arlington!

You're welcome. Your best bet is to get there as soon as possible and go to the Promo Room, which is usually upstairs. The line gets long quick, but you get a LOT of free stuff, per person. No limit on how many times you can go through too, so if you are early, your kids can get a lot of stuff.

Then check out the Kids Autograph line (usually near the promo room) and head downstairs to the "main room," where EVERYTHING is. The Kids Section is towards the back with pictures, radar gun, batting cages, players teaching kids, ect.

Also...Either bring food, or leave for a bit to eat nearby. The food inside isn't good.

Archived