Adam Jones to Queens?

weams

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We do still need a RF. 

What would be the point in acquiring a stopgap? I suspect that replacing any one of Mullins, Stewart, Rickard or Mancini with a temporary RF until Hays or Diaz takes the position will result in exactly no difference in the standings, in the clubhouse or anywhere else.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, atomic said:

The Atletics went from 75 wins to 97 wins this last season. Winning 47 games is not a plan.  It caused the manager, all the coaches,almost the  entire front office, and the scouting director to all lose their jobs.  No one should be following the Orioles plan of infighting, mismanagement and indecision. 

The Orioles are a total disaster at this point.  Hopefully the new team can turn things around but to act like it is some well planned decision to go down this path is far from the truth

I never said winning 47 games is a plan. I said the Orioles decided they needed to rebuild. The Mets and Reds are where the Orioles were in 2017. And look how last year went for the Orioles.

The Mets and Reds have valuable assets to rebuild with. Instead, they are adding expensive veterans that make them no better or at best still not a contender. 

It has nothing to do with wins and losses for me. I feel the Orioles are in better shape because they HAVE started their rebuild already while the Mets and Reds are in denial and somehow think they are close.

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I never said winning 47 games is a plan. I said the Orioles decided they needed to rebuild. The Mets and Reds are where the Orioles were in 2017. And look how last year went for the Orioles.

The Mets and Reds have valuable assets to rebuild with. Instead, they are adding expensive veterans that make them no better or at best still not a contender. 

It has nothing to do with wins and losses for me. I feel the Orioles are in better shape because they HAVE started their rebuild already while the Mets and Reds are in denial and somehow think they are close.

The Mets have quality players.  We have none.  The Mets have much better pitchers than the Orioles had plus multiple quality position players.  The Orioles are aza bad triple A team.  If you think we are in better shape than theMets  you are delusional.  Anyway can create a team with no talent.  There is nothing to be proud about current Orioles team.  They are by far worst team in baseball.

58 minutes ago, atomic said:

The Mets have quality players.  We have none.  The Mets have much better pitchers than the Orioles had plus multiple quality position players.  The Orioles are aza bad triple A team.  If you think we are in better shape than theMets  you are delusional.  Anyway can create a team with no talent.  There is nothing to be proud about current Orioles team.  They are by far worst team in baseball.

I believe what Dark Helmet is saying is that those teams are worse off because they haven’t yet realized that they can’t compete, and are delaying getting started on rebuilding, whereas the O’s have realized how bad they are and have fully committed to a rebuild.  

Personally, I tend to side with you on this.    We’ve committed to a rebuild because we were so bad there was no other choice, and the rebuild path will be long and arduous because there are so few traceable assets and so little infrastructure.   I like the direction we are going in now but I have no illusions about how hard this will be, especially considering the position our divisional competitors are in.    I’d rather be starting with the talent base of the Mets or Reds and competing in one of those divisions.    

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Machado, Schoop, a still productive Jones, Gausman, Bundy, and what we thought was going to be a shutdown bullpen wasn't a good talent base?

And why do you keep comparing the current Orioles to the current Mets? I didn't say the Orioles current roster is better. I said I like the current position the organization is in better. That's my opinion. 

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it for you to comprehend that. Even Frobby understood what I'm getting at, and I wasn't even having this discussion with him. 

The Mets right now are a 3rd place team. If the Phillies sign Machado and/or Harper and trade for a Kluber, then the Mets are arguably a 4th place team.

27 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Machado, Schoop, a still productive Jones, Gausman, Bundy, and what we thought was going to be a shutdown bullpen wasn't a good talent base?

And why do you keep comparing the current Orioles to the current Mets? I didn't say the Orioles current roster is better. I said I like the current position the organization is in better. That's my opinion. 

I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it for you to comprehend that. Even Frobby understood what I'm getting at, and I wasn't even having this discussion with him. 

The Mets right now are a 3rd place team. If the Phillies sign Machado and/or Harper and trade for a Kluber, then the Mets are arguably a 4th place team.

A team with no major league talent and no cant miss prospects is not a better position.  The Orioles blew the Gausman trade and currently dont have anyone that will bring back a top prospect. The Mets have better players than the Orioles had.  If you gave quality pitching that is something to build around. And the Mets have that.

I am sure if the Mets want to get in as bad a position as the Orioles are in it will be easy enough to attain.  

We are talking about being terrible the next 3 seasons at least. It is not an envious position to be in. The Yankees and Red Sox quickly rebuild.

Long rebuilds are loved by new GMs because there is no accountability. And owners in MLB like it to as they can get huge profits without any expectations 

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

We are talking about being terrible the next 3 seasons at least. It is not an envious position to be in. The Yankees and Red Sox quickly rebuild.

Long rebuilds are loved by new GMs because there is no accountability. And owners in MLB like it to as they can get huge profits without any expectations.

The team has no realistic alternative to a long rebuild.   As you noted, the talent base isn’t strong and the team doesn’t have the resources to buy its way into contention.   

To me, that doesn’t mean the GM isn’t accountable.    You just have to use different criteria for judging him besides the W-L column for a couple of years.    Is the talent base increasing?    Are the administrative weaknesses getting addressed?  Do the individual player moves seem coherent in accordance with the plan?    Are the existing players improving?   These things are not as easy to judge as the W-L column, but they can be judged.     

As to the profits, I expect them to invest a lot in infrastructure and to have some of the money stowed away for the next pennant run.   

3 hours ago, atomic said:

A team with no major league talent and no cant miss prospects is not a better position.  The Orioles blew the Gausman trade and currently dont have anyone that will bring back a top prospect. The Mets have better players than the Orioles had.  If you gave quality pitching that is something to build around. And the Mets have that.

I am sure if the Mets want to get in as bad a position as the Orioles are in it will be easy enough to attain.  

Long rebuilds are loved by new GMs because there is no accountability. And owners in MLB like it to as they can get huge profits without any expectations 

That pitching didn't get them anywhere this year. And I don't see a better offensive team around them going into 2019. 

And I'm fine being terrible the next 3 seasons  we can revisit this next year when the Mets miss the playoffs again. And I'll go on record saying they will be closer to the Orioles W/L record, than they are the team that wins the National league east.

20 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

That pitching didn't get them anywhere this year. And I don't see a better offensive team around them going into 2019. 

And I'm fine being terrible the next 3 seasons  we can revisit this next year when the Mets miss the playoffs again. And I'll go on record saying they will be closer to the Orioles W/L record, than they are the team that wins the National league east.

There is a big difference between missing the playoffs and winning 47 games. Unless you are going on record that the Mets have less wins than the Orioles next season I am not sure what you are going on about.  If the Mets have 77 wins and the Orioles have 55 wins and the NL division East winners have 100 wins you would still be wrong about your entire point.  I like you picking a standard of proof that has nothing to do with the argument. 

5 hours ago, atomic said:

There is a big difference between missing the playoffs and winning 47 games. Unless you are going on record that the Mets have less wins than the Orioles next season I am not sure what you are going on about.  If the Mets have 77 wins and the Orioles have 55 wins and the NL division East winners have 100 wins you would still be wrong about your entire point.  I like you picking a standard of proof that has nothing to do with the argument. 

You're lack of comprehension is getting old. What part didn't you get? I clearly said I believe the Mets will be closer to the Orioles W/L record than the National league East winner. It's not rocket science. The Mets won't be that good is what I'm saying. And the Orioles won't be 50 wins bad imo. If the Orioles win 60 games and the Mets 75. That's closer than if say the Nats or Braves win say 92. 

Once Again, I can't break it down any simpler for you.

18 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

You're lack of comprehension is getting old. What part didn't you get? I clearly said I believe the Mets will be closer to the Orioles W/L record than the National league East winner. It's not rocket science. The Mets won't be that good is what I'm saying. And the Orioles won't be 50 wins bad imo. If the Orioles win 60 games and the Mets 75. That's closer than if say the Nats or Braves win say 92. 

Once Again, I can't break it down any simpler for you.

75 wins is  a lot better than 60 wins. I  guess you are just being purposely obtuse.   You are arguing just to argue and not providing any reasons for your argument.  Come back when you have something to discuss. 

On 12/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, atomic said:

75 wins is  a lot better than 60 wins. I  guess you are just being purposely obtuse.   You are arguing just to argue and not providing any reasons for your argument.  Come back when you have something to discuss. 

And once again you missed it. I'm not arguing anything...its pointless arguing with someone like you.  I can't dumb it down any further for you.

Archived