So... why DID they let the contracts run until the end?

interloper

Now that the new regime is starting to congeal, it's clear how tough it is to operate when you're a month or more behind other teams. 

So.. why DID that happen, honestly? Was it really just out of respect for Buck and Dan that the Bros. let their contracts run until the very end? If you know you're bringing in a new GM and manager, why wait and put them behind the 8-ball? Was something else at play here? Your thoughts. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's any reason to be somewhat skeptical of the Angelos brothers, it's not the international money stuff, it's this. IMO. The moves they are making are mostly great so far, but this one still stands out as kind of weird. I get giving Buck the respect he deserves by not firing him in September, but... I think you could have absolutely fired Dan at least and made the case publicly that you wanted to give the new guy a head start. 

It’s the first time that they’ve done this and they probably needed to wait til the Astros season was over to interview Elias anyway.  I didn’t expect him or the field manager to have everyone they wanted in place for year one.  So, it’s just not a big deal to me,

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It’s the first time that they’ve done this and they probably needed to wait til the Astros season was over to interview Elias anyway.  I didn’t expect him or the field manager to have everyone they wanted in place for year one.  So, it’s just not a big deal to me,

I don't think it's that big of a deal either, was just curious to see if people thought there were reasons beyond "respect". The Astros point is a good one.

I think the “problem” wasn’t letting the contacts go to the end, it was that the searches (both GM and manager) were very deliberate.   In any event, this is a very long term project and eventually they’ll have the type of people they want in the FO and as coaches — maybe not all of them this year.  

There was conversations they talked with Colletti (sp?) during the season.

Even though they didn't hire anyone until after the season, they definitely started their learning process earlier.  The hiring process happening after playoff team talent was available makes a lot of sense as well.

There could be an argument for why they let DD have fire-sale type power, but that has prob already been talked about a ton.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

It’s not like they were going to do much this offseason.  They were not going to sign anyone or make any trades.  I don’t think they were that far behind and they haven’t really been at rocket speed since.  

Only rebuild the coaching, scouting and analytics.

They couldn’t interview Elias until end of October anyway.

Feels like we’re reaching for something to complain about here when we just hired one of the best young baseball minds in the game.

you can choose to be happy about that......or complain that it didn’t happen on your own desired timeline.

ok ok yeah I know you can do both.  Complain away.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

If there's any reason to be somewhat skeptical of the Angelos brothers, it's not the international money stuff, it's this. IMO. The moves they are making are mostly great so far, but this one still stands out as kind of weird. I get giving Buck the respect he deserves by not firing him in September, but... I think you could have absolutely fired Dan at least and made the case publicly that you wanted to give the new guy a head start. 

Yea but I’m sure if DD was fire in June by the time the hired a new guy the trade deadline would be long gone and Brady would have been calling the shots at the deadline 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

The industry talk was that both Dan and Buck were given consideration until the team absolutely tanked. I think after taking a macro view that they felt the need to clean house. At 85 or 95 losses. Or even less than 100, they may have kept Dan at the least. Buck was too expensive really to have been considered and that is what you could question them on if you wish. Why not cut him loose at the All Star break.  I'm happy enough the way it worked. 

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Agreed, they probably needed to wait until to get permission to interview the targets that they wanted to meet with.  The Astros, pushing hard and deep into the playoffs, might not have been as receptive to letting Elias interview around the deadlines, etc.  

I also think having some respect for Buck and Dan might have been a small part of it.  I mean, they were so far out of it that the manager GM combo didn't matter after a certain point.  It's not like they were hovering .500 and they needed to fire Buck in order to ignite a spark and catch some fire.  Firing Buck in August of last summer would have done nothing except pacify a lot of the OH posters who needed someone to blame everything on.  

46 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

I don't think this was the first time they've done this. Didn't Andy just walk away after his contract expired?

I believe this is the first time that John and Lou Angelos have been totally responsible for a decision like this.  And, definitely the first time for Elias to hire a manager.

Archived