Roch: Brandon Hyde says Old guys have to hustle, run, pay attention at meetings

weams

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Pete Rose is the all-time leader in games played, by a wide margin.  More than a full season's worth of games more than second place Carl Yastrzemski.  Running hard to first doesn't seem to have hurt him.

Good point.   He also had two very long consecutive games streaks (745 and 678 games).     

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good point.   He also had two very long consecutive games streaks (745 and 678 games).     

Yes. He did. If you can stay healthy, that is one of the gifts that qualify you among the hundreds of players who are able to play baseball at the MLB level for an extended period. 

I don't take a whole lot of stock in these quotes. Any newly hired manager is going to say something similar. But I'm glad he said it nonetheless. IMO, I don't think the O's have had much of an effort problem all things considered. Perhaps a little drop off the last couple of years, but Jones has been a good example for the younger guys.

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't take a whole lot of stock in these quotes. Any newly hired manager is going to say something similar. But I'm glad he said it nonetheless. IMO, I don't think the O's have had much of an effort problem all things considered. Perhaps a little drop off the last couple of years, but Jones has been a good example for the younger guys.

Jones was always a warrior.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:09 AM, Number5 said:

Pete Rose is the all-time leader in games played, by a wide margin.  More than a full season's worth of games more than second place Carl Yastrzemski.  Running hard to first doesn't seem to have hurt him.

Yep, and Bryce Harper emulates Pete Rose and says he wants to be known as someone who hustles every play and he is criticized for being injury prone.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, and Bryce Harper emulates Pete Rose and says he wants to be known as someone who hustles every play and he is criticized for being injury prone.

That's funny that he emulates Pete Rose and wants to be known as someone who hustles every play.

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-manager-matt-williams-sits-bryce-harper-for-lack-of-hustle/c-72664620

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24091460/washington-nationals-davey-martinez-says-talk-bryce-harper-not-running-ground-ball

I mean, I'd like to emulate Ron Jeremy, but you know...

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's funny that he emulates Pete Rose and wants to be known as someone who hustles every play.

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-manager-matt-williams-sits-bryce-harper-for-lack-of-hustle/c-72664620

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24091460/washington-nationals-davey-martinez-says-talk-bryce-harper-not-running-ground-ball

I mean, I'd like to emulate Ron Jeremy, but you know...

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

What?  Harper has been ridiculed several times for lack of hustle.

The article MurphDogg quoted was in 2013, before those incidents.    Harper was much more of an all-out guy when he first came up to the majors.    I can recall several times early on where he stretched a single into a double by going all out from the batter’s box.     

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The article MurphDogg quoted was in 2013, before those incidents.    Harper was much more of an all-out guy when he first came up to the majors.    I can recall several times early on where he stretched a single into a double by going all out from the batter’s box.     

Guess he changed his mind then.

Archived