Koby Perez named Director of Int'l Scouting

interloper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To the part about him being a Venezuela-area scout before getting the Indians Latin America gig, I guess he knows the winter league down there well.

Delmon Young is doing his best to push 1920 Babe Ruth and out-homering other teams in the league.  He's got 19 so far, one other guy has 10 and then it drops off to 7.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l135&lid=135&t=l_bat

Even reading what is there I don't know much.  But we have pulled talent from Houston, Chicago and now Cleveland.  Teams that have done well in various areas. 

It's nice, that it doesn't seem like simply bringing a bunch of friends and recreating Houston or otherwise.  The approach seems wise (of course assuming egos don't end up in the way...).

18 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

To the part about him being a Venezuela-area scout before getting the Indians Latin America gig, I guess he knows the winter league down there well.

Delmon Young is doing his best to push 1920 Babe Ruth and out-homering other teams in the league.  He's got 19 so far, one other guy has 10 and then it drops off to 7.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l135&lid=135&t=l_bat

I see that Santander is keeping pace with Luis Sardinas as well.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So I guess “Senior Director, International Scouting” was considered enough of a promotion over “Director, Latin American Scouting” that we were able to hire Perez away from the Indians.     The more I look back on it, the O’s really broke baseball protocol by not allowing Duquette to take the President job in Toronto.   

I have to disagree with this.  Does it really matter what the title of the guy who is in charge of baseball is called?  I see the move as strictly a jealous divisional foe poaching our guy in charge of all baseball operations.  That was a total bs moves on the part of Toronto and mlb - of all the guys in baseball they could have hired, they angle for DD?  Anyone in baseball could have hired DD a couple years earlier - suddenly he's pure gold.  It's preposterous - 100% meddling.

On original topic, we have a front row seat to this organization being built up brick by brick.  Very nice hire and, despite doubts voiced in this thread, one has to believe that our GM came here and this new director came here with management consent and authorization (read $ for scouting) to build out a first class international operation.

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I have to disagree with this.  Does it really matter what the title of the guy who is in charge of baseball is called?  I see the move as strictly a jealous divisional foe poaching our guy in charge of all baseball operations.  That was a total bs moves on the part of Toronto and mlb - of all the guys in baseball they could have hired, they angle for DD?  Anyone in baseball could have hired DD a couple years earlier - suddenly he's pure gold.  It's preposterous - 100% meddling.

Dan would have had significantly more responsibility in Toronto.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So I guess “Senior Director, International Scouting” was considered enough of a promotion over “Director, Latin American Scouting” that we were able to hire Perez away from the Indians.     The more I look back on it, the O’s really broke baseball protocol by not allowing Duquette to take the President job in Toronto.   

I always thought that major and minor league staff contracts were mostly year to year.  GMs, President or VP of baseball OPS, managers and sometimes pitching coaches can get multi yards contracts.   

I don't think Peter broke baseball protocol by having DD's fulfill his contract.  It might have been different if it wasn't a direct competitor.   It was definitely bad form that the Blue Jays when directly to DD while he was under contract.  That is not supposed to happen.

I don't know  why the Indians left Perez go for the lateral move but there is probably a story behind that.

27 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I used to feel the way you do, but it does seem like the Toronto job had a bit more to it.    Best I can tell, not only does the team have an EVP for baseball operations reporting to the president, but also an EVP of business operations and EVP of finance.    https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/team/front-office-directory

I'm fired up about the Elias era. Seems like another good hire. 

In terms of DD. In retrospect, the O's should have let him go. It appears that the O's simultaneously did not let him go and penalized him for looking at a promotion. Seems unfair. Anyone should be allowed to explore a promotion without being penalized. 

1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

I'm fired up about the Elias era. Seems like another good hire. 

In terms of DD. In retrospect, the O's should have let him go. It appears that the O's simultaneously did not let him go and penalized him for looking at a promotion. Seems unfair. Anyone should be allowed to explore a promotion without being penalized. 

He did appear to violate rules in his exploration.

We've come a long way from the days when both fans, and ownership, decried people like Lee Mazzili because they came from or had the perception of being of another organization.  If you're going to build a successful, sustainable organization, you should be looking to other successful organizations and trying to utilize the people and assets they have.  Elias, Midjal, Hyde, and now Perez, I'd say all four meet that criteria.  Whether or not it'll all work we won't know for years, but this doesn't happen unless ownership allows it to, and I struggle to think, outside of Andy MacPhail, when that ever happened in this organization in over 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I used to feel the way you do, but it does seem like the Toronto job had a bit more to it.    Best I can tell, not only does the team have an EVP for baseball operations reporting to the president, but also an EVP of business operations and EVP of finance.    https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/team/front-office-directory

As I recall, Toronto never asked permission from the Orioles.  I believe the protocol that you speak of does include the asking for permission from the existing club by the new club.

Archived