Koby Perez named Director of Int'l Scouting

interloper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I'm fired up about the Elias era. Seems like another good hire. 

In terms of DD. In retrospect, the O's should have let him go. It appears that the O's simultaneously did not let him go and penalized him for looking at a promotion. Seems unfair. Anyone should be allowed to explore a promotion without being penalized. 

The nature of service contracts implicitly and often explicitly prevents unlimited exploration of other employment.  I think it's better to look at DD as a contract worker rather than an employee.  That being said, IIRC the issue ultimately boiled down to compensation for releasing DD and the sides were never able to reach agreement.

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

As I recall, Toronto never asked permission from the Orioles.  I believe the protocol that you speak of does include the asking for permission from the existing club by the new club.

I think they did ask for permission, but only after they’d leaked their interest to the media on the eve of the Winter Meetings.    It was never established that they actually spoke to Dan, though who knows what really happened there.   

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

As I recall, Toronto never asked permission from the Orioles.  I believe the protocol that you speak of does include the asking for permission from the existing club by the new club.

The White Sox owner turned down the Blue Jays from interviewing their GM as well.  Angelos did nothing wrong by not letting DD go.  What he did wrong was letting him dangle in the wind for a couple of months and then taking responsibility away from him after he kept him.  Smart thing to do was just give DD a new title and kept him doing the same job.  

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

The White Sox owner turned down the Blue Jays from interviewing their GM as well.  Angelos did nothing wrong by not letting DD go.  What he did wrong was letting him dangle in the wind for a couple of months and then taking responsibility away from him after he kept him.  Smart thing to do was just give DD a new title and kept him doing the same job.  

I really couldn't disagree more.

You could argue that DD was basically emasculated when all of this went down. IMO, if you don't want to be here, get out. The O's should have helped him out of the door while grabbing the largest compensation package they could negotiate. 

We'd have probably ruined the development of the prospect(s) received in return, but that's a different issue. 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think they did ask for permission, but only after they’d leaked their interest to the media on the eve of the Winter Meetings.    It was never established that they actually spoke to Dan, though who knows what really happened there.   

Not to keep hijacking this thread but don't the Blue Jays still have the same front office in place they did when they wanted DD? If so then why haven't they hired him already this offseason if they wanted him so bad?

Like this move by Elias. Hope to see some really nice international activity! ?

DD is free to go wherever he wants now. As badly as the BJ's seemed to want him at the time you would think they would find room for him now.

1 minute ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

Not to keep hijacking this thread but don't the Blue Jays still have the same front office in place they did when they wanted DD? If so then why haven't they hired him already this offseason if they wanted him so bad?

DD's star has fallen once again. He isn't the commodity he was a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

The Jays  hired Mark Shapiro from the Indians to be President.

3 minutes ago, Eddie_Ripken said:

No.    They hired Mark Shapiro for the President job after the 2015 season.    After he was hired, he canned Alex Anthopolous as GM and replaced him with Ross Atkins.  

Before joining Cleveland, Perez spent five seasons on the Philadelphia Phillies Latin American scouting staff, from 2009-13, focusing mainly on efforts in the Dominican Republic. He was instrumental in the signings of INF Maikel Franco, OF Domingo Santana, RHP Seranthony Dominguez, and RHP Héctor Neris, among others. Perez started working in professional baseball in 2006, serving as the St. Louis Cardinals Northeast Area Scout, a position he held through 2008.

Not sure if any of this was mentioned before. This article lists some players Perez was key in getting signed. Also noticed the connection to the Cards when Elias was there.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-name-koby-perez-senior-director-international-scouting/c-302296312

"He was instrumental in the signings of INF Maikel Franco, OF Domingo Santana, RHP Seranthony Dominguez, and RHP Héctor Neris, among others."

Do any of these players stand out as someone that you'd want on your resume?

I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

And the whole escapade was leaked by a competing owner who also was not asked for permission before his GM was contacted. 

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

To the part about him being a Venezuela-area scout before getting the Indians Latin America gig, I guess he knows the winter league down there well.

Delmon Young is doing his best to push 1920 Babe Ruth and out-homering other teams in the league.  He's got 19 so far, one other guy has 10 and then it drops off to 7.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=l135&lid=135&t=l_bat

Take a look at the Indians J2 signings from the Dominican and Venezuela the 3 years he was at the helm, especially Venezuela, they did better there than any team in baseball.

23 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

"He was instrumental in the signings of INF Maikel Franco, OF Domingo Santana, RHP Seranthony Dominguez, and RHP Héctor Neris, among others."

Do any of these players stand out as someone that you'd want on your resume?

I have no idea.

Yeah, they are major leaguers who add value, 12.1 fWAR so far with more years of team control remaining. That’s a haul for one guy, it beats the entire Orioles effort.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Take a look at the Indians J2 signings from the Dominican and Venezuela the 3 years he was at the helm, especially Venezuela, they did better there than any team in baseball.

Yeah, they are major leaguers who add value, 12.1 fWAR so far with more years of team control remaining. That’s a haul for one guy, it beats the entire Orioles effort.

"effort"

Archived