Interesting FAs

wildcard

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I agree but if he comes back here because this is home then he is right back where he was last year. Will he or won’t he be traded.  

I may be wrong, but doesn't the service time reset when he signs a new contract? I mean, technically he's not an Oriole anymore. If that's the case then he wouldn't be able to veto a trade. And by no means I'm I advocating resigning him by bringing this up. Just making a point that the situation would be a bit different then this past year. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I may be wrong, but doesn't the service time reset when he signs a new contract? I mean, technically he's not an Oriole anymore. If that's the case then he wouldn't be able to veto a trade. And by no means I'm I advocating resigning him by bringing this up. Just making a point that the situation would be a bit different then this past year. 

Why would it?  He hasn't played for another team.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Still would have 10/5 rights or am I wrong ? 

6 hours ago, section18 said:

Nick Markakis just signed a 1 year deal to remain in Atlanta for $6 million.

So how much will AJ get? The experts still think he'll sign with Cleveland.

Wow, I’m shocked Nick went that cheap.   I guess Jones will land in the same ballpark.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Wow, I’m shocked Nick went that cheap.   I guess Jones will land in the same ballpark.   

Outside of Harper and Pollock, the top remaining OF free agents are: Adam Jones, Marwin Gonzalez, Carlos Gonzalez, Josh Harrison, Denard Span, Robbie Grossman, Gerardo Parra, Curtis Granderson, Carlos Gomez, Cameron Maybin, and Melky Cabrera.

Pickin's are slim. My total wild guess, 2/$15 from Indians with a cheap buyout on the second year.

Adeiny  Hechavarria SS

I’d like to us bring him in. If Martin and Jackson are good enough there is room for them. The embarrassing days before JJ are still fresh in my mind. We can rebuild, let young players get playing time, but still put a MLB defense out there. At least in the infield. 

Pitching and OPS is expensive. Defense is still pretty cheap. 

I also wouldn’t mind Gentry being brought back either. He does things the right way. Has good ABs. As sad as this sounds we could bat him leadoff and let Mullins settle in at the back of the lineup. 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not.  He's 35 and I suspect we've finally arrived at the beginning of the great age of analytics where more teams than not are looking at the statistical aging curve and accepting what they see.  I agree that AJ will probably get less than most of us predicted and I think that Manny and Harper will as well, although their contracts will still be for a lot of money.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:48 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Since it is highly unlikely that the O's will be spending money the only way any of these players end up here is they literally have no other option.  I would guess that some would take milb deals with a ST invite over a ML deal with the OO's.

Some FA's might choose a milb if they believe they have a reasonable path to becoming a starter on that org's MLB club sooner than later. But I think most FA's will take the guarantee of MLB playing status along with the publicity, accommodations and pension. If that means losing with KC or Baltimore, I think most would take the chance that a mid-season trade could open the door for the player to perform in the post-season. In such cases, a player could possibly build greater value for his next contract should he succeed during the regular season and, maybe, on the big stage too.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That seems wildly cheap even considering his lost 2018. 

Yep, he is only 30 and a year removed from a 3.9rWAR season. Pitching in that ballpark in a league without the DH he could put together a decent season to get a multi-year deal next year. Seems like a good situation for him.

Archived