Interesting FAs

wildcard

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I didn't say that there are not teams that would not trade for Givens.  I said that with the season he had last year he is not at his peak value.right now.

You implied it wasn’t a good time to trade him because he wasn’t at his peak.

And as MM noted, I’d rather get something now before he has an injury that negates the opportunity.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

You implied it wasn’t a good time to trade him because he wasn’t at his peak.

And as MM noted, I’d rather get something now before he has an injury that negates the opportunity.

I don't think a GM should manage scared.   Givens has not been on the DL in his four years in the majors. There is not really any reason to believe that Givens will be injured in the first 4 months of the 2019 season.   The odds of that happening are low.

Elias job is to get the best prospects for the assets that are too old or too expensive to be part of the O's next contending team.  He has to try to get the most for each asset that falls into that category.   That means giving those players the opportunity to reach their potential peak value. 

I feel confident that Elias will weigh the offers he gets and pick the right time to trade players.  He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think a GM should manage scared.   Givens has not been on the DL in his four years in the majors. There is not really any reason to believe that Givens will be injured in the first 4 months of the 2019 season.   The odds of that happening are low.

Elias job is to get the best prospects for the assets that are too old or too expensive to be part of the O's next contending team.  He has to try to get the most for each asset that falls into that category.   That means giving those players the opportunity to reach their potential peak value. 

I feel confident that Elias will weigh the offers he gets and pick the right time to trade players.  He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

You don't know if he could get the best value now.  

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You don't know if he could get the best value now.  

Even a few years ago, it might have been a helpful tactic to let him compile saves for a couple months, but maybe now we are past a tipping point where selling the full year is worth more than four months.

4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Even a few years ago, it might have been a helpful tactic to let him compile saves for a couple months, but maybe now we are past a tipping point where selling the full year is worth more than four months.

How many save chances are they going to have in 2019?

Just now, OrioleDog said:

It's possible, certainly.  Even now though, Givens won't get a lot of save opportunities here.

His real value is in the team control years he's got left.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

How many save chances are they going to have in 2019?

About one a week, but I think we agree how he does in them isn't any longer relevant to his trade value.

I've been a Givens workload worrier, so I would be okay with an offseason deal.  I think another good 2-3 months of pitching helps a little, but on a scale of 0 to 100, I see his personal trade value in the 80's now.  The waiting is more to get to the artificial spike you get for relievers at the trade deadline, but I'm not sure there's a ton of that left.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, interloper said:

I wouldn't flip a lid about Caleb coming back, but I don't see what the purpose would be really. We already know he's a middling defensive catcher, mostly. He'll be 33 in June. Would it just be to mentor Sisco/Wynns? Didn't he already do that all last year? 

Mark Zuckerman thinks Wieters could drop to 1/$3M or 1/$4M. Could mentor Sisco/Wynns. Works well with young pitchers. Rather see him than Caleb. May put a few more butts in seats.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2019/01/host-of-2018-nationals-still-seeking-jobs-in-tepid-market.html

18 minutes ago, Whammer said:

Mark Zuckerman thinks Wieters could drop to 1/$3M or 1/$4M. Could mentor Sisco/Wynns. Works well with young pitchers. Rather see him than Caleb. May put a few more butts in seats.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2019/01/host-of-2018-nationals-still-seeking-jobs-in-tepid-market.html

I would think that the teams that lose out in the Realmuto trade may be interested in Wieters.  As a Boris client he will probably sign late.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's possible, certainly.  Even now though, Givens won't get a lot of save opportunities here.

His real value is in the team control years he's got left.  

Value is determined by the market. Relievers almost always have a better market at the trade deadline. Too many free agent relievers out there right now to have much negotiating power.

13 hours ago, theocean said:

Value is determined by the market. Relievers almost always have a better market at the trade deadline. Too many free agent relievers out there right now to have much negotiating power.

I agree 100% with the bolded statement and think that the Orioles should trade him whenever they get the best offer regardless of whether it's now, mid-season or before the trade deadline. That said, I'm not convinced that, aside from Kimbrel, Givens wouldn't be preferred by most teams over any of the remaining free agent relievers. 

Adam Ottavino (33 years old, 2.0 WAR) -- Agreed to 3-year deal with NYY (1/17).
Jeurys Familia (29, 1.8) -- Signed 3-year deal with NYM (12/14).
Joakim Soria (35, 1.8) -- Signed 2-year deal with OAK (12/21).
David Robertson (34, 1.5) -- Signed 2-year deal with PHI (1/3).
Craig Kimbrel (31, 1.5)
Jesse Chavez (35, 1.2) -- Signed 2-year deal with TEX (11/30).
Oliver Perez (37, 1.1)
Luis Avilan (29, 0.9) -- Signed MiLB deal with NYM (1/10).
Tony Sipp (35, 0.9)
Zach Duke (36, 0.9)
Brad Brach (33, 0.7)
Nick Vincent (32, 0.7)
Joe Kelly (31, 0.7) -- Signed 3-year deal with LAD (12/21).
Jordan Lyles (28, 0.6) -- Signed 1-year deal with PIT (12/17).
Sergio Romo (36, 0.5)
Jake Diekman (32, 0.5)
Justin Wilson (31, 0.5)
Tyler Clippard (34, 0.5)
Shawn Kelley (35, 0.5)
Xavier Cedeno (32, 0.5)
Andrew Miller (34, 0.4) -- Signed 2-year deal with STL (12/21).
Kelvin Herrera (29, 0.4) -- Signed 2-year deal with CWS (1/8).
Greg Holland (33, 0.3)
Tony Barnette (35, 0.3)
Aaron Loup (31, 0.3)
Adam Warren (31, 0.3)
John Axford (36, 0.2)
Bud Norris (34, 0.2)
Ryan Madson (38, 0.2)
Dan Jennings (31, 0.2)
Jeanmar Gomez (31, 0.2) -- Signed MiLB deal with TEX (1/9). 
Alex Wilson (32, 0.2)
Zach Britton (31, 0.1) -- Signed 3-year deal with NYY (1/11).
Santiago Casilla (38, 0.1)
Carson Smith (29, 0.1)
Cory Gearrin (32, 0.1) -- Signed 1-year deal with SEA (1/10).
Ricardo Rodriguez (26, 0.1)
Cody Allen (30, 0.0) -- Signed 1-year deal with LAA (1/20).
Jorge De La Rosa (38, 0.0)
Justin Hancock (28, 0.0)
Fernando Salas (34, 0.0)
Zach McAllister (31, 0.0)
Jake Petricka (31, 0.0) -- Signed 1-year deal with MIL (1/12).
Blake Parker (31, 0.0) -- Signed 1-year deal with MIN (1/14).
Zac Rosscup (31, 0.0) -- Signed 1-year deal with SEA (12/20).
Blake Wood (33, 0.0)
Daniel Hudson (32, -0.1)
Jerry Blevins (35, -0.1)
Brad Boxberger (30, -0.1)
Matt Bush (32, -0.1) -- Signed MiLB deal with TEX (12/17).
Adrian Sampson (27, -0.1)
Allen Webster (28, -0.1)
Zac Curtis (26, -0.1) -- Signed MiLB deal with TEX (12/17).
Hunter Strickland (30, -0.2)
Matt Belisle (39, -0.2)
AJ Ramos (32, -0.2)
Hector Santiago (31, -0.2) -- Signed MiLB deal with NYM (1/8).
Jim Johnson (36, -0.3)
Randall Delgado (29, -0.3)
Boone Logan (34, -0.3)
Peter Moylan (40, -0.4)
Tim Collins (29, -0.4)
Jason Adam (27, -0.4) -- Signed MiLB deal with KC (12/17).
Junichi Tazawa (33, -0.5)
Brandon Maurer (28, -0.8)
Blaine Boyer (37, -0.9)
Josh Tomlin (34, -1.3)
David Phelps (32, N/A) -- Signed 1-year deal with TOR (1/11).
Joaquin Benoit (41, N/A) -- Didn't appear in MLB in 2018.
Jandel Gustave (26, N/A) -- Didn't appear in MLB in 2018.
Andres Machado (25, N/A) -- Didn't appear in MLB in 2018.
Samir Duenez (22, N/A) -- Signed MiLB deal with KC (12/17).

Archived