O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Frobby

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's that, batting average against lefties?

Yes, but apparently with a 175 PA qualifier which Alberto just passed last night.  There are an awful lot of full-time players who didn't get 175 PAs vs lefties in a whole season, presumably because when someone like Nolan Arenado comes up in Denver against a lefty after about the sixth inning they change pitchers to a righty.  Arenado hit .420 against lefties in 2015, but in just 165 PAs.  Bret Boone hit .444 against lefties in '01, in 165 PAs.  Edgar hit .433 against lefties in '95, in 169.  In '96 Frank Thomas hit .403/.544/.798 against lefties.

In '27 Harry Heilmann hit .464 vs. southpaws in 128 PAs (51-for-110).  In '94 Jeff Bagwell OPS'd 1.639 vs lefties, but the lockout kept him to 125 PAs.  Al Simmons had a two-year run in '30 and '31 where he cumulatively hit .439 against lefties in 213 PAs, and actually hit .488 against lefties in 93 PAS in '29.  For his career Simmons hit .380 against lefties.

In 1955, as a full time player, Hank Aaron hit .440 against lefties in 93 PAs and .284 against righties in 524.

George Brett hit .437 against northpaws in 1980 in 320 PA, which is the highest mark in the bb-ref data, even going down to a minimum of 100 PAs.

The vs righties list (min 100 PAs) is fun: Brett, Lefty O'Doul, Dave Dellucci, Gehrig, Babe Herman, Gehrig, Williams, Chuck Klein, Todd Hollandsworth. In the top 50 both Babe Phelps and Babe Herman appear more (twice) than Babe Ruth (once).

• Upvote 4

o

This was Alberto's 3rd home run in his last 5 games.

(vs. DEVIL RAYS, 8/24)

NUMBER 10

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

o

On 8/22/2019 at 11:51 PM, weams said:

1) Buster Posey, .433 (2012)
2) Mickey Mantle, .424 (1964)
3) Elston Howard, .423 (1961)
4) Mickey Mantle, .421 (1957)
5) Tris Speaker, .415 (1925)
6) Stan Musial, .414 (1948)
7t) Albert Pujols, .411 (2008)
7t) Joe Vosmik, .411 (1935)
9) Mariano Duncan, .410 (1990)
10) Roberto Clemente, .409 (1964)
11t) Hanser Alberto, .404 (2019)
11t) Ichiro Suzuki, .404 (2004)
11t) Lew Fonseca, .404 (1929)

The Hanswer Man is now in sole possession of 11th place at .407 and inches away from catching the Great Clemente--2-3 good games and he can pass Musial and Speaker to settle in behind Mantle in fifth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hanser Alberto now batting .324 after his 5 hit performance tonight. 

He's getting close to OPSing over .800 too.

He's had the fourth most valuable season on the team and is going to pass Cashner soon.  Well done Hanser, I didn't see it coming.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2019 at 4:39 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Hanser Alberto is Putting the Finishing Touches on a Strong Season

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/hanser-alberto-is-putting-the-finishing-touches-on-a-strong-season.html

o

o

Getting 5 hits in a single game is a nice course of putting finishing touches on a season and/or winding down the penultimate month of the season.

Alberto has 5 Hits, Means Goes 7 as O’s Rout Royals

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/08/hanser-alberto-with-five-hits-as-os-rout-kansas-city.html

o

On 8/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, Moose Milligan said:

F it, I'm all in on keeping Hanser.  I don't care, I won't listen to your logic.  The dude is fun.  He's having a blast every day.  And now he's obviously started roiding and powering up, what's not to like?  

I'm with you.  This is one of the things I love about baseball... who would have expected him to have the kind of season he's putting together?  Means and Hasner have both been surprises to me this season... it was nice to see them both do well in the same game last night.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'm with you. This is one of the things I love about baseball ........ who would have expected him to have the kind of season he's putting together ??? Means and Hasner have both been surprises to me this season ........ it was nice to see them both do well in the same game last night.  

o

Cindyluvsbrady.

o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not out of the question that Hanser can have a really hot September and win a batting title.  

I know, I know, WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, WAR, WARWARWARWARWARWARWARWARWARWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR but whatever.

WAR, huh, yeah, What is it good for?  Absolutely nothin'  Say it again.

https://cheezburger.com/6721360896

• Upvote 1