O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Frobby

Alberto got profiled this week by the Statcast podcast guys - skills wise, he seems to be good-ish at the sweetspot launch angle (between 8 and 32 degrees), but is literally in the bottom couple percent of Hard Hit rate and exit velocity.  They suggested outfielders might start going all Billy Hamilton shallow on him if he keeps hitting enough for teams to really pay attention.

In the category of small samples, he's a few weeks away from perhaps joining an astonishing cohort.  He is hitting about .420 against LHP, one of the Top Four seasons ever if he can keep it there.  His fraternity for Best AVG v. LHP in a qualifying season would be Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle and Buster Posey.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:16 AM, LA2 said:

I actually don't remember those unis, which remind me more of the WSox than the Orange & Black, of course.

This clip reminds me of why I'm not as negative about Belle's time in Baltimore as many other posters seem to be. He was an extremely determined player, a warrior on a team that also had Cal. I almost wonder if he was faking not getting HBP so that he could have a chance to wreak vengeance on the Angels with his 4th homer of the game--or to accomplish something like Frank did when he hit the ball completely out of Memorial Stadium after Tiant had dusted him twice.

The uniform was a one game thing. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13778435/uni-watch-friday-flashback-baseball-turns-ahead-clock-1999

(most/possibly all of them were hot garbage)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/30)

NUMBER 1

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

o

On 7/30/2020 at 9:59 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. YANKEES, 7/30)

NUMBER 1

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

o

o

2 games in a row ........

(vs. D-RAYS, 7/31)  

NUMBER 2

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

HANSEJOEALBERTO PENA

o

8 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Batting average is a hell of a drug. The guy hit .305 last year and was still a below league average offensive player. After a handful of games this year he’s Babe Ruth :)

Some guys are just fun to watch and Alberto is one of those guys.    27 plate appearances so far and he’s put the ball in play 23 times (1 BB, 2 K’s 1 HBP).    Action!    And, the guy plays good D.   Honestly if he could repeat his 2019 season on a regular basis he could play for a long time.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Some guys are just fun to watch and Alberto is one of those guys.    27 plate appearances so far and he’s put the ball in play 23 times (1 BB, 2 K’s 1 HBP).    Action!    And, the guy plays good D.   Honestly if he could repeat his 2019 season on a regular basis he could play for a long time.   

Slap hitters who swing at everything are not fun to me. To each his own. 

Sure, if he can be a league averagish starter like he was last season consistently, that has value. 

8 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Slap hitters who swing at everything are not fun to me. To each his own. 

Sure, if he can be a league averagish starter like he was last season consistently, that has value. 

Right now he is the best player on my fantasy team. I know he will regress but 1200 OPS is more than a slap hitter. Yeah, he never walks but he also never strikes out. I definitely see value there. A roster full of league average gets you to 80 wins. If those guys don't cost you anything, you just need a couple of stars to get to 90+.