O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Frobby

I was just perusing Alberto’s AAA stats — in exactly 1000 PA, he was a .309/.330/.438 hitter there.   Granted, it was the PCL.   Interestingly, going into 2019, he didn’t have a track record of killing lefties — in fact, he was a bit of a reverse splits guy.    Really hard to tell what Alberto might do in future seasons.   

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was just perusing Alberto’s AAA stats — in exactly 1000 PA, he was a .309/.330/.438 hitter there.   Granted, it was the PCL.   Interestingly, going into 2019, he didn’t have a track record of killing lefties — in fact, he was a bit of a reverse splits guy.    Really hard to tell what Alberto might do in future seasons.   

Frobby....I know the PCL stats are out of whack for power hitters. But are the numbers really skewed for singles/doubles guys like Alberto?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Frobby....I know the PCL stats are out of whack for power hitters. But are the numbers really skewed for singles/doubles guys like Alberto? The

It’s a good question.   As you can see, Alberto’s ISO was higher in the  PCL than it is in the majors this year, which is almost certainly a PCL effect.   And I do think BA’s tend to increase at elevation.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s a good question.   As you can see, Alberto’s ISO was higher in the  PCL than it is in the majors this year, which is almost certainly a PCL effect.   And I do think BA’s tend to increase at elevation.  

Not saying that I disagree....but how much can it really affect a line drive.

for example, I've played golf all over the US. Due to too many years as a baseball/softball player, I tend to have a pretty flat drive compared to others. 10-12 feet in elevation by my estimation and very hard. It's great for most everything except the 5 pars that have a long distance to the fairway from the tee box. The best part is my ball doesn't get caught up in the wind, slice, and or curve off the fairway.

If the stats say the PCL is different for him fine.... Looking at his 2018 season at AAA, he has nearly the same number of ABs (he has 9 less), that includes 4 doubles, 2 triples, and 1  Home Run. He also batted .330 versus .317.

But, isn't it fair to say that the difference is not very much. And some of it can be attributed to the difference between AAA and MLB pitching?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not saying that I disagree....but how much can it really affect a line drive.

for example, I've played golf all over the US. Due to too many years as a baseball/softball player, I tend to have a pretty flat drive compared to others. 10-12 feet in elevation by my estimation and very hard. It's great for most everything except the 5 pars that have a long distance to the fairway from the tee box. The best part is my ball doesn't get caught up in the wind, slice, and or curve off the fairway.

If the stats say the PCL is different for him fine.... Looking at his 2018 season at AAA, he has nearly the same number of ABs (he has 9 less), that includes 4 doubles, 2 triples, and 1  Home Run. He also batted .330 versus .317.

But, isn't it fair to say that the difference is not very much. And some of it can be attributed to the difference between AAA and MLB pitching?

You also have to consider that high altitude parks may have larger dimensions which should lead to a higher BA.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t disagree. But I don’t think it helps a hitter like Alberto nearly as much as Power hitters

I agree with you.   But it does help them, for the reason Coc gave.   At some point I may try to pull some data, but it would take a bit of work.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with you.   But it does help them, for the reason Coc gave.   At some point I may try to pull some data, but it would take a bit of work.   

I wouldn't want to put you through it. It is a nice discussion topic. Thanks for engaging.

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

Alberto is 3rd in the AL in Batting Avg. And only 2 points behind second. But you know, now days Batting Avg is an old fashioned stat anymore that is meaningless...

1. LeMahieu  NYY .338
2. Brantley  HOU .323
3. Alberto  BAL .321

I almost never agree when a long-established stat is called “meaningless.”   It’s like calling an old-style toaster “useless” because they now have multi-function toaster ovens.    But if what you want is toast, the old toaster still serves its function quite well.   

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I almost never agree when a long-established stat is called “meaningless.”   It’s like calling an old-style toaster “useless” because they now have multi-function toaster ovens.    But if what you want is toast, the old toaster still serves its function quite well.   

You missed my sarcasm in that post. My bad for not expressing it better.