You're next

weams

8 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I'd have to give it more thought, but off the cuff, something like $65M.

I think it would be something they would have to negoiate.  But it would have to be higher than $65 million. Have to something like $95 to $100 million to entice the players.  

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 65 million floor not one extra penny would be spent based on last season's numbers. At a 300 million cap 15 teams would spend more money. And 15 teams would go out of business in 10 years. Or move to St.Louis, Carlsbad, LA, Las Vegas. Back and forth. 

Just now, scOtt said:

Floors help the lowest paid players. But it's the highest paid players the run the union. It's not (I think) that they don't want a floor, they just don't care about a floor. It's like ZZ Top said, "You can have yours just gimmee mine".

Wouldn't a floor help a guy like Adam Jones?  If teams had to spend a certain amount, wouldn't that give him more of a market?

7 minutes ago, weams said:

At 65 million floor not one extra penny would be spent bases on last season's numbers. At a 300 million cap 15 teams would spend more money. And 15 teams would go out of business in 10 years. Or move to St.Louis, Carlsbad, LA, Las Vegas. Back and forth. 

I would say $100 million floor , $200 million cap.  

Just now, backwardsk said:

Wouldn't a floor help a guy like Adam Jones?  If teams had to spend a certain amount, wouldn't that give him more of a market?

No. I think floors would drive the ML minimum salary up. Fringe guys getting a taste. Teams that would have to worry about being above the floor wouldn't/couldn't afford (even) an Adam Jones.

4 minutes ago, weams said:

At 65 million floor not one extra penny would be spent bases on last season's numbers. At a 300 million cap 15 teams would spend more money. And 15 teams would go out of business in 10 years. Or move to St.Louis, Carlsbad, LA, Las Vegas. Back and forth. 

Lol.  You need to type slower because I don't read so fast.  I don't know what this means.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would say $100 million floor , $200 million cap.  

That's wildly unrealistic. A team couldn't do a rebuild then. And like Weams posted, TV money is not shared in MLB like the NFL. A lot of teams couldn't support/afford  $100M. Texas for example has a CRAZY huge TV deal. We have MASN which is only viable because we have two ML teams to broadcast.

Just now, scOtt said:

That's wildly unrealistic. A team couldn't do a rebuild then. And like Weams posted, TV money is not shared in MLB like the NFL. A lot of teams couldn't support/afford  $100M. Texas for example has a CRAZY huge TV deal. We have MASN which is only viable because we have two ML teams to broadcast.

It's just meant to be argumentative. He'd rather watch hockey.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

If a team says they can't afford 100M they can open the books and prove it.

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

I used to go to Cap games all the time.  Even went to 5 to 10 games a year at Hershey.  With a child it is just too far to drive to go to a game. I would say hockey is the most exciting sport to see in person.  

Side note, I've seen one hockey game in person, at Hershey. It was surprising how fast the game/puck moves. You had to adjust your eyes and thinking to follow it.

Archived