Sign Grandy for RF & Flip in July?

interloper

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, weams said:

Imagine if the Orioles had one one twice and got Delmon and Tim B.

And then imagine that those two had real MLB careers. Some don't.

Tampa also drafted Josh Hamilton 1:1 but years later exposed him to the Rule 5 draft after all his drug issues and he got plucked away for $50k.   At least they scored on David Price at 1:1.    Upton was just so-so at 1:2, but Longoria was a great pick at 1:3.   Brazelton, not so much.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tampa also drafted Josh Hamilton 1:1 but years later exposed him to the Rule 5 draft after all his drug issues and he got plucked away for $50k.   At least they scored on David Price at 1:1.    Upton was just so-so at 1:2, but Longoria was a great pick at 1:3.   Brazelton, not so much.  

It is good to take a moment to step back and see just how long they were the absolute worst team. And when they weren't,  the were still real bad. Washington kinda did that too. 

Not interested in the flier on Grandy given the mediocre return last year.  The risk/reward or salary/prospect payoff does not seem worthwhile in the likely case.

I saw Avisail Garcia signed with the Rays.  That is getting close to the kind of player (esp returning from injury) that I would like to see our GM take a chance on.  

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Not interested in the flier on Grandy given the mediocre return last year.  The risk/reward or salary/prospect payoff does not seem worthwhile in the likely case.

I saw Avisail Garcia signed with the Rays.  That is getting close to the kind of player (esp returning from injury) that I would like to see our GM take a chance on.  

He's three million. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't think that is really even a thing. 

How is it not a thing? It's a thing if it works out, which it has for plenty of teams. But it's a risk in that an aging guy like Grandy gets hurt and doesn't perform. But then hopefully it was cool to have him around the clubhouse. 

14 minutes ago, weams said:

It is good to take a moment to step back and see just how long they were the absolute worst team. And when they weren't,  the were still real bad. Washington kinda did that too. 

You know what I find somewhat funny?

There was a time there where the Rays appeared to have the #1 overall pick on an annual basis and the O's ranged from bad to terrible for 14 years, yet the AL East was never considered to be having a particularly "down year" until 2014.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

How is it not a thing? It's a thing if it works out, which it has for plenty of teams. But it's a risk in that an aging guy like Grandy gets hurt and doesn't perform. But then hopefully it was cool to have him around the clubhouse. 

To add to this, the 25-man roster prevents teams from stashing every potential flier or depth piece they might like to have.  We have the space to stash a guy like that until the deadline.

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

To add to this, the 25-man roster prevents teams from stashing every potential flier or depth piece they might like to have.  We have the space to stash a guy like that until the deadline.

Sure. But you have to pay them. I suspect the Orioles will choose not to. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure. But you have to pay them. I suspect the Orioles will choose not to. 

A couple mil here or there? We'll definitely sign a few of these guys. Elias has basically said as much. In fact, he came right out and said during the Winter Meetings that any FA signings would be made with an eye towards trading that player later. 

As the Million Dollar Man said, everybody has his price.  Oriole Granderson, or whatever equivalents emerge, will resemble having a soccer player on loan from another club.  Hopefully the borrowed player performs well, and I feel like this class of player, external factors like injuries to front line players on the better teams have a lot to do with whether their trade value is completely minimal, or maybe an interesting lottery ticket.

Granderson's $5M price tag from last year should also come down, despite the reasonably productive year.  If the Brewers want him pinch hitting in the middle innings again next fall, they probably aren't sad if he's getting regular at-bats in the first half.

I think the ceiling from last year is something like the Tigers turning Leonys Martin into Willi Castro.  Castro did make the Tigers BA Top 10.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I don't think that is really even a thing. 

That's kind of an interesting thing to say in a thread about Granderson, who fits this mold.  Also:

Lenonys Martin.  Signed a 1y/$1.1 million deal with Detroit.  Traded for Will Castro and Kyle Dowdy.

Lance Lynn.  Signed a 1y/$10 million deal with the twins.  Lynn netted Tyler Austin and Luis Rijo.

Mike Mostakas.  Signed a 1y/$7.6 million deal with the Royals.  Royals get Brett Phillip's and Jorge Lopez.

Asdrubal Cabrera.  Signs a 1/$8 million deal.  Traded for Franklyn Killome.

Joakim Soria.  1y/$8 million.  Traded for kodi madieros and wilber perez.

Senghuan Oh, Nate Eovaldi (2y), Wilson Ramos (2y)

Archived