Sign Grandy for RF & Flip in July?

interloper

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, interloper said:

Can still get on base a bit (.351 last season), and hits RHP well (.798 OPS last season).

Could platoon out there with Rickard (or somebody). I tend to think Trumbo won't be ready and we'll be seeing a lot of Mancini at DH with Stewart in LF.

OR - not worth it?

Not worth it and neither is Rickard. 

6 hours ago, oriole said:

If he was the last guy standing and ultimately who we sign for RF I’d be okay with it but honestly, I wouldn’t go pushing for it. He would be a good veteran presence around all the new guys though. 

Leave it to the minors. They've got to play sometime. If this organization keeps signing washed up vets then the young guys will never get their chance. IMO 

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would rather see Hays get the job out of ST.  And I'm not really a fan of any of our minor league position players but I want to see if Hays can make a case for himself.  

If they signed Granderson it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  But that playing time is better spent on someone up and coming.

That's what I want to see happen.

Do I think Granderson has anything left to offer and could be a asset yes. Do I think the orioles should do it probably not. Do I think Granderson is interested in signing on a team not projected to compete except for last place? Absolutely not. 

Lets let the young guys play. Would love to get an extended look at Hays and McKenna this year.

55 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Do I think Granderson has anything left to offer and could be a asset yes. Do I think the orioles should do it probably not. Do I think Granderson is interested in signing on a team not projected to compete except for last place? Absolutely not. 

Lets let the young guys play. Would love to get an extended look at Hays and McKenna this year.

The only reason to sign veteran OF’s is if we want to avoid pushing up prospects before they are ready and starting their service clocks too soon.    I want to see these guys earn their way to the majors.     Personally I’m OK running Stewart, Mullins and Mancini out there for now rather than signing veterans.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The only reason to sign veteran OF’s is if we want to avoid pushing up prospects before they are ready and starting their service clocks too soon.    I want to see these guys earn their way to the majors.     Personally I’m OK running Stewart, Mullins and Mancini out there for now rather than signing veterans.    

I personally believe that every team should have a player who can provide some 'muscle' in a bench clearing brawl. A guy who can throw a good punch while also falling over a dugout railing. Typically, that role is left to the backup catcher - but I'm not sure Sisco or Wynns are up to the task.

That being said, I highly advocate for the O's to sign Delmon Young or Paul Bako.

14 minutes ago, theocean said:

I personally believe that every team should have a player who can provide some 'muscle' in a bench clearing brawl. A guy who can throw a good punch while also falling over a dugout railing. Typically, that role is left to the backup catcher - but I'm not sure Sisco or Wynns are up to the task.

That being said, I highly advocate for the O's to sign Delmon Young or Paul Bako.

Chris Davis needs something to do.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have my doubts if that is the outfield we see.   

Trumbo does not sound like he will be ready to start the season.  And with a bad knee he is probably better off on the DL then playing in the cold in April.  Maybe he will be ready in May or June.   That probably puts Mancini at DH/1B to begin the season.

Stewart in left..   Mullins gets a chance to play full time in center but if he does not hit any better vs lefties than he did last season at AAA or in the majors he is probably platooned with Rickard in center.

That leaves Rickard, Yaz, or Brugman in right until mid season when they might promote Hays to be the right fielder. 

We hope Trumbo plays well enough when he is healthy to get traded in July.   But who knows.     

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Except Colby Rasmus.

I don't know what you could flip Granderson for though.  You'd probably get an organizational arm.  

I agree, I think the days of "flipping" 2 month role player rentals for prime talent are dwindling.  I really don't think Elias cares about how many games they win this year.  If guys struggle, he may just let it happen.  It's all about them #1 picks, son!

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

You might be able to get the equivalent of Demi Orimoloye (who was traded for Granderson last Aug. 31).    He’s now ranked the no. 41 prospect in the Blue Jays’ system, per prospects1500.com.   

Great post. This whole idea of flipping guys for some prospect is really risky. Especially if it’s 5  million for the deal. Granderson isn’t going to bring fans to the park. We do need a guy to play the OF because Hays and Diaz need a full season in AAA. Mountcastle and McKenna likely need 1.5 seasons in the minors. There is no point in rushing guys. Stewart is really just a LF, and who knows if he can become an everyday player. Rickard has never been trusted as a starter for an extended period of time. 

At some point AJ on a 2 year deal makes sense. He’d likely only be a few million more than Granderson per season and he brings a lot more to the table. 

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have my doubts if that is the outfield we see.   

Trumbo does not sound like he will be ready to start the season.  And with a bad knee he is probably better off on the DL then playing in the cold in April.  Maybe he will be ready in May or June.   That probably puts Mancini at DH/1B to begin the season.

Stewart in left..   Mullins gets a chance to play full time in center but if he does not hit any better vs lefties than he did last season at AAA or in the majors he is probably platooned with Rickard in center.

That leaves Rickard, Yaz, or Brugman in right until mid season when they might promote Hays to be the right fielder. 

We hope Trumbo plays well enough when he is healthy to get traded in July.   But who knows.     

I don’t think Brugman is with the team anymore.  Your point still stands if you replace him with Bostick though.

Archived