Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Except that the  Yankee was not Babe.  Just by rule, no player should ever get more votes than Babe Ruth.  Not ever, for any reason.   But, now....tradition?  hallowed ritual?  respect for the past?  Pretty much secondary to what ever the modern fan wants done, particularly the modern day NY fan.   Sad. 

Indeed, Babe Ruth was not only a revolutionary player, he was internationally FAMOUS to an extent that no other baseball player ever has attained.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Here’s a really good article written by Mark Mussina about his brother. 

http://www.sungazette.com/sports/local-sports/2019/01/finality-of-immortality-a-brothers-emotional-journey/

Good read. As an older brother myself, I’ve always enjoyed my young brothers succeeding in sports whether it was my closest brother in age climbing Mt Killamajaro  or my youngest ending up on the freshman baseball team.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Indeed, Babe Ruth was not only a revolutionary player, he was internationally FAMOUS to an extent that no other baseball player ever has attained.

Ruth transcended the sport. Everyone except Smalls knows who Babe is. Rivera belongs in the HoF but I too wish the unanimous tradition had been kept. But it doesn’t bother me in the grand scheme.

3 hours ago, Nite said:

If he goes in with the O's hat, does 35 get retired? I mean every other HOF player the O's have had have their number retired and put out on Eutaw Street. Statue as well in center right? Or would he be the first O's HOF player without this honor? I'll assume no if he goes in with the MLB or NYY hat. What if he picks the O's though...

Of course the Orioles would retire his number if he is wearing an Orioles cap on his HOF plaque. The team might retire his number now that he has been inducted regardless.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

Because New York.

At the same time tho, Gary Carter went in as an Expo and not a Met. Maybe the Hall figures there will be plenty of Yankees fans next year and this for Mo and Jeter who were Yenkee lifers. The Yankees fans I know liked Moose but they loved Mo and Jeter the way we did Brooks, Palmer, & Cal who were also lifers. 

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I really don't get the "he's dead to us" mentality with Mussina. Most of the people that feel this way probably never even met the guy so his off field personality shouldn't factor in. In this day and age when players use PEDs, beat their wives/girlfriends, etc. being kinda standoffish is pretty far down on the passing judgement list to me.  I mean Eddie Murray basically forced the team to trade him, but we don't vilify him. It seems like a double standard to me. I'll always remember Mussina for the competitor that he was. He was arguably the last true ace that this team had and I hope he chooses to go in as an Oriole. 

I cannot abide this type of revisionist history.

12 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Except that the  Yankee was not Babe.  Just by rule, no player should ever get more votes than Babe Ruth.  Not ever, for any reason.   But, now....tradition?  hallowed ritual?  respect for the past?  Pretty much secondary to what ever the modern fan wants done, particularly the modern day NY fan.   Sad. 

What percentage of the vote did Ruth get? So I just looked it up, and it's 95.1%.  You know what, that didn't even win the 1936 HOF voting.  That was Ty Cobb, at 98.2%.  Are we going to go back and airbrush out Cobb's vote, since he had no respect for tradition, hallowed ritual and the past?

The pool of candidates in 1936 was a little different, it was 1900-1936 players, more-or-less.  All of them.  The competition changes every year, you're never competing against the same pool of candidates, so the percentages can be all over the place.

Folks need to stop using HOF vote percentage as some kind of sacred milestone, and recognize it as a cobbled-together moving target.

5 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

At the same time tho, Gary Carter went in as an Expo and not a Met. Maybe the Hall figures there will be plenty of Yankees fans next year and this for Mo and Jeter who were Yenkee lifers. The Yankees fans I know liked Moose but they loved Mo and Jeter the way we did Brooks, Palmer, & Cal who were also lifers. 

I think that if other Expos had been enshrined at the time Carter could have gone in as a Met.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Of course he pitched more than 60 innings in 16 of his 19 MLB seasons.

Maybe now the voters can stop obsessing so much about silly things like "first ballot" and "unanimous", and just vote for who deserves to go in.

Pretty sure you understood my meaning.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if other Expos had been enshrined at the time Carter could have gone in as a Met.

12 years in Montreal, 5 in NY.  His numbers alone say it was the right call.  Even being a part of the '86 Mets doesn't top that.

17 hours ago, CynBeth said:

It figures that a Yankee would be the first player to get 100%. 

Sorry, but this post just irritates me.  Sometimes we need to put our Oriole fandom on hold, and just respect the sport of baseball.  Mariano was a no doubt about it 100% Hall of Famer.  Being snarky about it is uncalled for.  

Archived