Jack Reinheimer- interesting target (claimed)

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

traded

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

I think Elias has to be concerned that there is little SS depth including the two Rule V guys. 

I think it is okay if we lose, but we can't be the Bad News Bears with shortstop being a position of defensive embarrassment.  Hence the additional shortstop depth with Reinheimer.

Sanchez looks lights out defensively.  Maybe we should think about signing him.  

16 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I think Elias has to be concerned that there is little SS depth including the two Rule V guys. 

I think it is okay if we lose, but we can't be the Bad News Bears with shortstop being a position of defensive embarrassment.  Hence the additional shortstop depth with Reinheimer.

There is a lot of depth, just not very much major league experience.

Richie Martin - Known for his defense at SS (rate as a 60 arm and 60 fielder).  Drafted in the first round. Martin's impressive range at shortstop is a product of his athleticism and above-average speed, and scouts rave about his first-step quickness as well as his overall instincts. His arm is a clean fit at the position and enables him to make highlight-reel plays, but he's also capable of getting rid of the ball quickly while on the move, without sacrificing any accuracy. 

Drew Jackson - Known for his plus arm (rated at 70) and speed (rated at 65).

Hanser Alberto -  Won a Gold Glove for best SS in the minors in 2014.   Had shoulder surgery in 2017 so we have to see how that has affected him.

Zach Vincej - Won Gold Glove for best SS in the minors 2016.

Jack Reinhiemer - Started 381 game at SS in his 6 year minor league career.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Nice get here. Pays to be aggressive with claiming/DFAing sometimes. Not that this guy is anything to write home about. I just like when we get (essentially) free young players who don't take up 40-man spots. 

It took Elias time to get comfortable with the 40 man, but I feel like he should’ve worked it more. 

6 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

By doing what? 

By using the first waiver priority in the AL all offseason to claim more players. Incrementally improve the depth of the 40 man and in AAA. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2018-transactions.shtml

This whole offseason we only claimed Ruiz, Brice, Alberto, and Reinheimer off waivers. With the top waiver spot in the AL. With a roster that had just lost 115 games. 

We didn’t play the waiver wire game. We didn’t pull off trades with teams having 40 man roster crunch issues. 

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

By using the first waiver priority in the AL all offseason to claim more players. Incrementally improve the depth of the 40 man and in AAA. 

This whole offseason we only claimed Ruiz, Brice, Alberto, and Reinheimer off waivers. With the top waiver spot in the AL. With a roster that had just lost 115 games. 

We didn’t play the waiver wire game. We didn’t pull off trades with teams having 40 man roster crunch issues. 

The waiver wire hasn't even begun to get interesting yet. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Name the waived players we had first dibs on who you would have claimed, and who you would have DFA’d to claim them.   

I agree with Luke, the best waiver guys are those who are DFA late in the spring.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/03/reinheimer-raking-in-reduced-at-bats-with-orioles.html

The guy has survived 3 rounds of cuts and keeps hitting. Can't imagine he survives the next round but here he is still. 

Is this guy anything?

All the hits are coming later in games against lesser competition, mostly, so I don't buy into the spring line too much, but it's interesting to see his usage. I think they see him as a potential utility guy and are getting a look at him in that role. He's being used later in games so as starters begin playing the full game he's spring training role is gone and he goes to minor league camp.

I certainly like him more than Escobar and, maybe, he allows Elias and company to feel comfortable not giving Escobar a 40-man spot since Reinheimer is an option in the minors for a similar role if the need arises.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

All the hits are coming later in games against lesser competition, mostly, so I don't buy into the spring line too much, but it's interesting to see his usage. I think they see him as a potential utility guy and are getting a look at him in that role. He's being used later in games so as starters begin playing the full game he's spring training role is gone and he goes to minor league camp.

I certainly like him more than Escobar and, maybe, he allows Elias and company to feel comfortable not giving Escobar a 40-man spot since Reinheimer is an option in the minors for a similar role if the need arises.

I agree.

Escobar's opt out is tomorrow, March 21st.   I think Elias tell him he will not make  the team and he will opt out rather than go to AAA.   There are three reasons for this move:

1) Martin has looked solid defensively at SS.  He may not hit but he will  be a boost to the O's over last season by offering consistent good range and a strong arm at SS.

2) Jackson can be a good backup at SS.  He may not be as consistent at SS as Martin by he has range and a strong arm.   He has made the team with his versatility.

3) Jack Reinheimer will not make the team and is on a minor league contract.   And he has an option left.  He also has AAA experience. His combination of offense and defense at SS/2B/3B make  it unnecessary  to keep Escobar.

Archived